Would you attend games at Camden Yards this summer.

atomic

Would you go to a game at Camden Yards this year  

103 members have voted

1. 1. If they limited the number of fans to have groups 6 feet apart would you attend a game this year

On 6/15/2020 at 3:39 PM, WillyM said:

I might be OK with being in the ballpark with groups six feet apart.  The problem would be getting to and from the ballpark.

In normal times, I drive down from York on I-83 and take the Timonium exit, then catch the light rail to Camden Yards.

Under normal circumstances, I'm willing to put up with the crush of humanity on the light rail.  But I don't expect the threat of the coronavirus to be over before the end of the 2020 baseball season.  I don't feel all that sure that the threat is going to be over before the end of the 2021 baseball season.

Considering I'm in the high-risk age bracket, I think as long as that threat exists, I'm going to have to forego trips to Camden Yards.

When I went to games with my dad from late 90s to early 00s, we always took the lightrail.  When I started going back to games in 2013, I went ahead and tried parking up here and it's always worked out.  Maybe it's because I have passes for most games and get there early for the others where I don't (so I rarely have to park on the other side of M&T), or maybe it's because I'm coming from Annapolis, but I've found driving to be much easier.  Just one person's experience.  

I would go to games for sure.  I would go to more games if we were spaced out, but even if we weren't, I would attend a few.  Definitely see the need to deliver food in seats, which some MLB teams do already (as well as other sports teams) and there would probably need to be some control put into place for the bathrooms.  

On 6/16/2020 at 9:45 PM, 24fps said:

Would your concern extend to large open-air environments with plenty of room to spread out and conscientious use of a mask, hand sanitizer, etc.?  The number and proximity of other people would certainly impact my willingness to go to OPACY, but in the end I think would be lot more comfortable in a outdoor stadium at less than half capacity than in an indoor bar or restaurant at a sit-down meal (for example).

Personally, I am not ready to go to a sit-down restaurant or a bar.  My issue with the ballpark is not the distancing, it is how will they be able to sanitize all the common touch areas.  Not only that, but foot traffic would have to be one-way, especially in the concourses to keep people a safe distance away from one another.  Proper social distancing and sanitizing could possibly make the ballpark experience disappointing.

On 6/16/2020 at 10:39 PM, Beef Supreme said:

I have read that this novel coronavirus causes extensive damage to lungs, far greater than caused by common influenzas. Additionally, it appears that most common influenza deaths are caused by secondary bacterial infection -- specifically pneumonia caused by Streptococcus -- as opposed to the coronavirus itself causing deathAre you able to share your knowledge about the differences between the common flus and SARS CoV-2

The common flu works quicker and usually leaves quicker.  Covid-19 takes longer to present itself once someone is infected and it adheres to the lining of the lungs which causes the severe respiratory problems.  Another troubling aspect of Covid-19 is what it is doing to some of the victim's blood clotting and circulatory system.

1 hour ago, Sammy Seagull said:

Educated people will agree the virus is 99% media hype and 1% real. Dont allow others to dictate your life. Play Ball - Go O's!

Donald Trump is that you? It killed more than 500,00 people worldwide and100,000 people in the US and before there is a widespread vaccine it will likely kill 200,000 here. It’s hardly 99% media hype! This post is one of the most ridiculous I’ve ever read here!

Not trying to be a troll ....but get a grip!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sammy Seagull said:

Educated people will agree the virus is 99% media hype and 1% real. Dont allow others to dictate your life. Play Ball - Go O's!

I consider my self educated and I see what Covid-19 does on a daily basis.  Tell the people in ICU on ventilators that it is 99% media hype.  

i'll admit that the media harps on certain aspects that it at times borders on ridiculous but the sickness and disease is real.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cboemmeljr said:

Personally, I am not ready to go to a sit-down restaurant or a bar.  My issue with the ballpark is not the distancing, it is how will they be able to sanitize all the common touch areas.  Not only that, but foot traffic would have to be one-way, especially in the concourses to keep people a safe distance away from one another.  Proper social distancing and sanitizing could possibly make the ballpark experience disappointing.

Michael T. Osterholm is a well respected epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota and the author of the recently published (2017) book: Deadliest Enemy: Our War against Killer Germs.  He was on Fresh Air yesterday and his (rather strongly held) opinion is that common surface transmisison is unlikely.  It's the airborne route that you need to watch out for.  I'm starting to read that elsewhere as well.  

FWIW.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Michael T. Osterholm is a well respected epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota and the author of the recently published (2017) book: Deadliest Enemy: Our War against Killer Germs.  He was on Fresh Air yesterday and his (rather strongly held) opinion is that common surface transmisison is unlikely.  It's the airborne route that you need to watch out for.  I'm starting to read that elsewhere as well.  

FWIW.

I’ve seen that and believe it, but still taking no chances.   

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sammy Seagull said:

So once educated people regain control of the narrative, COVID-19 will vanish like the mirage it's always been?  Oh yes. Oh hell yes...

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

People should put their ages with the answers.

Data is becoming very clear who is at risk from this virus.

The perfectly healthy girl that died from it In Baltimore was 15 or 16 years old. It hits the elderly and sick the hardest but not exclusively. Also there was reports that other children had a side effect that is exclusive to kids. For the elderly and six is a high probability thing and for everybody else it’s a dice roll.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The perfectly healthy girl that died from it In Baltimore was 15 or 16 years old. It hits the elderly and sick the hardest but not exclusively. Also there was reports that other children had a side effect that is exclusive to kids. For the elderly and six is a high probability thing and for everybody else it’s a dice roll.

1 person under 18 has died from covid in Maryland. You do realize a lot more than 1 person under 18 has died from the flu in Maryland since the beginning of March?  

This is much less deadly than the flu for children 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, atomic said:

1 person under 18 has died from covid in Maryland. You do realize a lot more than 1 person under 18 has died from the flu in Maryland since the beginning of March?  

This is much less deadly than the flu for children 

Sure ....But I was really fired up by the stupid comment saying this situation is 99% media and 1% real. 

I get that the percentages are low in children. The main problem with children as they are notorious germ spreaders. The concern per the medical professionals is younger people carrying the disease to their older relatives.

For the record, I’m 49 and I’m personally not scared of the disease. I don’t have any underlying health concerns other than being slightly overweight.

On 6/15/2020 at 3:39 PM, WillyM said:

I might be OK with being in the ballpark with groups six feet apart.  The problem would be getting to and from the ballpark.

In normal times, I drive down from York on I-83 and take the Timonium exit, then catch the light rail to Camden Yards.

Under normal circumstances, I'm willing to put up with the crush of humanity on the light rail.  But I don't expect the threat of the coronavirus to be over before the end of the 2020 baseball season.  I don't feel all that sure that the threat is going to be over before the end of the 2021 baseball season.

Considering I'm in the high-risk age bracket, I think as long as that threat exists, I'm going to have to forego trips to Camden Yards.

Other problems - ensuring social distancing for entry points and tunnels, accessibility (elevator, escalator if needed), bathrooms, plus anyone who goes to stadium has to deal with the fact that people in this world really don't care and will let their kids run wild and cough in your face.  I'm not trying to be jaded here just what I've seen in public.  

Anecdotally, my wife wore a mask and went to a local Starbucks recently, an employee was not wearing a mask, was coughing, and then called out sick (all in a span of 5 minutes).  Needless to say my wife got out of there fast, but it really puts into perspective how little people care about others with this type of stuff.  Its scary and unbelievable.  

Anyways I'll get off my soapbox, I hope you are staying safe WillyM. 

• Upvote 3