MLB Implements 60 Game Season

weams

49 minutes ago, incubus said:

One thing to consider with this:

even a perfectly healthy, low risk player could have their career ended by getting covid 19. Most reports of patients from 6-7 months ago are showing long term repercussions to lungs. If a player ends up with a lung capacity permanently decreased by 25% that could very easily spell the end of their career.

You have data to back this up? Most? How many people? 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

So a 16 team playoff?  That's 8 in each league.  3 division winners and 5 wildcards?  Or top 2 in each division and 3 wild cards?

Extra innings begins with a runner on 2nd.  Who can that be?  Anyone who hasn't been used?  Someone who wouldn't bat until 7th or 8th in the inning?  Someone who was in the game but had been taken out?  I assume the same guy can be used in multiple extra innings?

So you start the 10th with a man o. 2nd.  Is the pitcher who starts the 10th "responsible" for that runner?  If he scores does he go against that pitcher's ERA?  Say the pitcher strikes out the only batter he faces and then a lefty comes in to face the next two batters, and the lefty gives up am RBI hit to end the game?  Does the original pitcher who pitched one third of an inning and struck out the batter get the loss?

Take this for what it's worth, but heard on The Fan that it is the player who made the last out in the previous inning.    I can imagine when that is the teams catcher that, that particular player is going to mysteriously have pulled a hammy making that last out and needs to be replaced. 

Lots of good questions in your last paragraph. 

5 minutes ago, murph said:

Take this for what it's worth, but heard on The Fan that it is the player who made the last out in the previous inning.    I can imagine when that is the teams catcher that, that particular player is going to mysteriously have pulled a hammy making that last out and needs to be replaced. 

Lots of good questions in your last paragraph. 

Not to compare.... but this is how softball does it.

Plus they did this in the minors last year. 

• Upvote 1

I'm curious how - or if - this shortened season might impact a club's decision regarding service time with prospects. Obviously, ours specifically. My guess is that service time is what it is from a number of games on the roster standpoint, but will the percentage of the season still contribute? I could be confused - maybe that's not a thing, but I thought it was. 12 games is nothing in a full season, but it's 20% this year, and that can make a huge difference regarding status, or so I thought. I also don't know a single thing about what's going on with MiLB this season, and my biggest concern, from a pure baseball perspective, is how that would impact player development. Obviously, or prospects can't get any better if they don't play. They just sit around getting older without gaining any experience. I'd have to consider bringing some of our youngsters up for a little bit to get some game action if there's no other way for them to play.

21 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You have data to back this up? Most? How many people? 

Sounds like it's extremely rare but does happen.   If you are one of the very small % of younger people who have a severe case of C-19 that requires going into the ICU and onto a respirator, this is a potential complication that can occur.   Permanent damage can be done to your lungs, most likely due to clots forming as a part of your body's immune system reacting strongly to fight the Covid-19.   (Recall those cytokine storms that can also kill people with C-19, related to "overreaction" by the body's immune system).

Bottom line of the science at this point seems to be that a very, very small percent of young healthy people suffer the most severe results from C-19 that require ventilation, etc.   But IF you are in that small percent you are also at risk for permanent damage to your lungs that could be related to your immune response to the disease.   Three people in the world so far have had to have lung transplants as a result of this.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/lifelong-lung-damage-the-serious-covid-19-complication-that-can-hit-people-in-their-20s#Whos-at-risk?

23 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Not to compare.... but this is how softball does it.

Plus they did this in the minors last year. 

There was a game a couple years ago where an NCAA fast pitch softball pitcher pitched a perfect game and lost.  She allowed zero baserunners.  She was on the visiting team.  Went into extra innings tied 0-0 and her team failed to score in the top of the inning even though they started with a runner on second.  In the bottom half, the runner starting on second went to steal third base.  The catcher's throw went into left field and the runner scampered home for the walk-off win.  Losing pitcher with a perfect game!  I can't remember which school, but I think it was a school in Washington State.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

There was a game a couple years ago where an NCAA fast pitch softball pitcher pitched a perfect game and lost.  She allowed zero baserunners.  She was on the visiting team.  Went into extra innings tied 0-0 and her team failed to score in the top of the inning even though they started with a runner on second.  In the bottom half, the runner starting on second went to steal third base.  The catcher's throw went into left field and the runner scampered home for the walk-off win.  Losing pitcher with a perfect game!  I can't remember which school, but I think it was a school in Washington State.

Now that is a story. 

I could see the Orioles losing that way minus the perfect game part. 

Two games here and 1 involves the Orioles:

Steve Barber and Stu Miller, Orioles -- April 30, 1967, vs. Tigers
This is one of only two nine-inning no-hitters that resulted in a loss, though it was a "team" effort.

Barber’s line in this game was one for the ages -- 8 2/3 IP, 0 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 10 BB, 3 K. Stu Miller is noted as well because he faced the final two batters and also did not allow a hit. This game was scoreless through seven innings, and the Orioles actually took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the eighth on a Luis Aparicio sac fly, making a win -- and possibly a traditional no-hitter -- seem likely.

But then Barber walked the first two batters of the inning, Norm Cash and Ray Oyler. Earl Wilson executed a sacrifice bunt, successfully moving Dick Tracewski, who pinch-ran for Cash, to third and Oyler to second. Willie Horton then hit a foul pop for the second out, with no runners advancing. With Mickey Stanley batting, Barber threw a wild pitch, allowing Tracewski to score and tie the game, and moving Oyler from second to third. Barber walked Stanley, and was taken out of the game, with Miller coming in to pitch. The first batter Miller faced, Don Wert, hit a grounder to Aparicio at shortstop, but when second baseman Mark Belanger -- a legendary defender who had just entered the game -- couldn't secure the throw, Oyler scored from third and Belanger was charged with an error. Miller finally got Al Kaline to ground out to end the inning.

The Orioles headed to the bottom of the ninth with the no-hitter intact, but trailing 2-1 and had some hope with two future Hall of Famers due up. But Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson and Mike Epstein went down 1-2-3 in the ninth at the plate, and the Orioles lost the game despite not allowing any hits. (BOX SCORE)

Ken Johnson, Colt .45s -- April 23, 1964, vs. Reds
This one is the gold standard -- the only nine-inning no-hitter thrown by one pitcher.

Johnson was cruising until the top of the ninth, when Pete Rose reached on an error (and advanced to second) due to an errant throw by Johnson himself. The next batter, Chico Ruiz, grounded out, moving Rose over to third. But even that was not run-of-the-mill, as the grounder went off Johnson’s shin. Johnson remained in the game and the next batter, Vada Pinson, hit a grounder to second baseman Nellie Fox that could’ve ended the inning, but Fox misplayed the ball and Rose scored. Johnson got Frank Robinson to fly out (yes, Robinson was involved in two no-hitters that resulted in a loss), and the top of the ninth was over. The Colt .45s got a baserunner in the bottom of the ninth when Pete Runnels reached on an error, but couldn’t get him across to tie the game.

Johnson’s final line was 9 IP, 0 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB and 9 K, and he had a blunt assessment of the day. "I pitched the best game of my life and still lost,” Johnson said. “A hell of a way to get into the record books.” (BOX SCORE)

4 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Didn't Gregg Maddux lose a game when he had a no hitter through 9, but lost in extra innings?

I don't recall about Maddux, but I know Harvey Haddix did.  Lost in the 12th or 13th inning, IIRC.

Found it - he pitched 12 perfect innings and lost in the 13th.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/harvey-haddix-threw-12-perfect-innings-and-lost/c-126504134

• Upvote 1

I can't find the NCAA game, but here is the story of a high school game where the pitcher lost a perfect game.  Maybe this was the game I was thinking of and my memory fog had me thinking it was a college game.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/high-school-softball-pitcher-throws-perfect-game-strikes-out-23-still-loses

Good grief, struck out 23 of 24 batters, and the one batter that hit the ball was an out.  And she lost!