Richie Martin out with a broken wrist (Update: Surgery, Out for Season)

wildcard

We really don’t know how the season would have played out for Richie. Was he a lock to be on the team all year? With the roster size decreasing as the  year goes on who knows. 

One silver lining is he gets a full year of service time potentially. Of course like so many other young players a wasted season to progress. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

We really don’t know how the season would have played out for Richie. Was he a lock to be on the team all year? With the roster size decreasing as the  year goes on who knows. 

One silver lining is he gets a full year of service time potentially. Of course like so many other young players a wasted season to progress. 

If Martin goes on the 45 IL retroactive to  July 13 he could be activated by August 24th if he is healthy by that time.   So his season may not be over.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Martin goes on the 45 IL retroactive to  July 13 he could be activated by August 24th if he is healthy by that time.   So his season may not be over.

True. It may not be a lost year. I hope for him it’s not. He is someone who certainly needed a ton of at bats at AAA this year.  

Martin will undergo wrist surgery after sustaining a fracture over the weekend, while Blach will undergo Tommy John surgery to repair a ligament tear in his elbow. Martin is expected to be sidelined for two to three months, which all but eliminates him as an option for the team in 2020. Blach will likely be out until late next season at least, as recovery from Tommy John surgery typically takes between 12 and 14 months.

MLBTR

• weams changed the title to Richie Martin out with a broken wrist (Update: Surgery, Out for Season)

Roster-wise, the season ending surgeries to Martin and Blach means:

-- Martin will go on the 45 (maximum) day DL and thus will not count against the 40 man roster, so we will now have 3 open spots on the 40 man instead of just 2.   And I presume he will be removed from the 60 man player pool.

-- Blach is not on the 40 man roster, but I assume he will be removed from the 60 man player pool.   With the removal of him and Martin, we will down to 51 spots on the 60 man list, so we will have room for 9 additional players to be added before or during the season.

21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

We should totally judge guys on a single play.

Stevie Wilkerson is the best center-fielder ever, that catch in Fenway proves it.

When you do something wholly unathletic, it stands out. There was one Kyle Boller play that was so unbelievably unathletic that it was enough to prove to some of us that he would never be a pro QB. Even homer Sandusky noted what a crap-the-bed, unathletic play it was in the highlights that night.

Maybe, maybe DJ can hit enough to DH. But so far he looks Jeff Stone-incapable of playing outfield.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

When you do something wholly unathletic, it stands out. There were one Kyle Boller play that was enough to prove he would never be a pro QB. Maybe, maybe DJ can hit enough to DH. But so far he looks Jeff Stone-incapable of playing outfield.

On the other hand, few people were fooled into thinking Kevin Mitchell was a competent defensive outfielder when he made a bare-handed catch on a foul ball he had overrun or Manny Ramirez when he climbed the OPACY wall for a catch and high-fived a Bosox fan on the way back down. Just about everybody can have a great play or two.

But good defensive ball players nearly never embarrass themselves to the degree DJ did. He may as well have ralphed on the field after getting bonked and then slipped in it when trying to stand up.

3 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

I found a different angle of that DJ debacle:

He slipped when he slid to make the play. He kept his glove up because he lost the ball. You can see he was trying to protect himself. It was just terrible luck it hit him in the head. If the ball lands a foot behind him nobody makes as big of a deal about it. 

Was he a great defender? No but it was really just a bad luck play that happened. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He slipped when he slid to make the play. He kept his glove up because he lost the ball. You can see he was trying to protect himself. It was just terrible luck it hit him in the head. If the ball lands a foot behind him nobody makes as big of a deal about it. 

Was he a great defender? No but it was really just a bad luck play that happened. 

That's better than if DJ had kept his glove down, I will give you that.

Too bad he didn't "make the play."

9 hours ago, eddie83 said:

People also forget or ignore that the field was probably a mess. The game had already been delayed for over an hour for rain, though I'm not sure if it was raining at the time. People slip all the time on wet fields, his just happened at pretty much the worst possible time.

• Upvote 2