Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

IF we ever resume the schedule... And IF we ever play the Marlins... If they have 8 or 12 or 14 players test positive, ALL those will have to quarantine for 14 days. Which means the Marlins will have to replace almost HALF their 30-man ML roster with guys from their secondary camp...

Which means they will BARELY be a AAA team! :D More like a good AA team. Which means... Even the lowly O's can just have their way with them! F beating them for the #1 pick. I want wins! I want one of 16 Playoff spots! Asterisk or not I want to WIN!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

If we are going to have sports this year we need to 

1. Accept that young men are at zero risk of becoming ill from Covid-19. We should suspend all testing and just let the virus spread and run its course thru ML rosters

2. All coaching should be done remotely. The coaches who are at risk should never come within 50 feet of any player and should never share any facilities. The 1B/3B coaching can be done by the players just like it has always been done in slow pitch softball rules

The average age of a Covid-19 death is 78. The government could have used this fact and we would have had herd immunity by now. We know exactly who is vulnerable and we know who is not but we choose to treat everyone as an equal risk. Makes no sense.

And we should trade for Eduardo Rodriguez immediately.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, scOtt said:

IF we ever resume the schedule... And IF we ever play the Marlins... If they have 8 or 12 or 14 players test positive, ALL those will have to quarantine for 14 days. Which means the Marlins will have to replace almost HALF their 30-man ML roster with guys from their secondary camp...

Which means they will BARELY be a AAA team! :D More like a good AA team. Which means... Even the lowly O's can just have their way with them! F beating them for the #1 pick. I want wins! I want one of 16 Playoff spots! Asterisk or not I want to WIN!

As of last night, according to the TV, it was 19 players from the Marlins.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

If we are going to have sports this year we need to 

1. Accept that young men are at zero risk of becoming ill from Covid-19. We should suspend all testing and just let the virus spread and run its course thru ML rosters

2. All coaching should be done remotely. The coaches who are at risk should never come within 50 feet of any player and should never share any facilities. The 1B/3B coaching can be done by the players just like it has always been done in slow pitch softball rules

The average age of a Covid-19 death is 78. The government could have used this fact and we would have had herd immunity by now. We know exactly who is vulnerable and we know who is not but we choose to treat everyone as an equal risk. Makes no sense.

So you think its acceptable to kill 3 or 4 rostered players?

The national average death rate for people in their 20s and 30s is 0.2%.   If all 1800 players got Covid-19 that would mean an average of 3.6 players would die.  

Is that OK with you?

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So you think its acceptable to kill 3 or 4 rostered players?

The national average death rate for people in their 20s and 30s is 0.2%.   If all 1800 players got Covid-19 that would mean an average of 3.6 players would die.  

Is that OK with you?

What percentage of MLB players opted in and have underlying conditions that increase vulnerability?

21 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

Young men are also at zero risk of dying in a car crash, so we shouldn't have them wear seatbelts. Also, load up their cars with as many passengers as you can fit, of all ages, and don't let any of those passengers wear seatbelts, either. And make every player drink 6 shots of whiskey before they get behind the wheel.

That's the kind of risk you're talking about. If you can live with that, well... okay. Brace yourself for between 3 and 10 MLB players dying before the season's out, and prepare for most of them to be on the Bereavement List as they infect and kill their parents.

The facts disagree with you. People of all ages and fitness can die of COVID-19. Being young and physically fit does not make you immune to death from COVID-19. I'm not sure how else to restate this. Yes, the percentage is "very, very low" compared to old or unhealthy people, but it's not zero. The difference between zero and "very, very low" percentage is the difference between something that never happens -- like the Earth getting swallowed by a black hole -- and something that rarely happens, like a nuclear power plant exploding, an airliner crashing, or a safe and cautious driver getting killed in a car. 

For comparison, a healthy young man has a much lower chance of dying in a plane crash than dying of COVID-19. But we invest many billions of dollars in aviation safety. Are you of the opinion that we should completely dismantle all safety regulations in aviation and just allow people to fly planes wherever and whenever, and accept the occasional crash as routine? Well, not just occasional -- if there are no regulations, the rate of crashes will be much higher than it is now. 

Actually, that's a parallel between disease control and aviation safety: by investing effort into preventing things from happening, you can reduce the chance of them happening. And we as a society have collectively decided that people who don't value safety are wrong, and we have decided that putting billions of dollars toward prevention of bad things is a worthwhile endeavor. If you disagree, I think there are some other countries that value safety less than the level it's baked into the United States' culture, so you're welcome to go there.

I did say IF, you have all the answers so it is clear that all sports should be shut down until there is a 100% effective vaccine that has been administered to 100% of the population.

13 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

It's not me who decides

In a free country the players get to decide. They get to do their own risk assessment.

Personally I have climbed over 25 14 teeners in Colorado many of which people have died on. It was my free choice to take that risk

This is false equivalency.  

It was your free choice to take that risk, this is true.  However, if you died up there, you'd be the only one impacted.  

Covid-19 obviously doesn't work that way.  By being out in the open, by being around others and "OMG EXERCISING MY FREEDUMBS AS AN AMERICAN, someone that's infected is putting others at risk.  That's very different than climbing a mountain.  

I don't trust ballplayers who are making a ton of money, who think rules don't apply to them, who like to go out and have fun...to make decisions based on others.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is false equivalency.  

It was your free choice to take that risk, this is true.  However, if you died up there, you'd be the only one impacted.  

Covid-19 obviously doesn't work that way.  By being out in the open, by being around others and "OMG EXERCISING MY FREEDUMBS AS AN AMERICAN, someone that's infected is putting others at risk.  That's very different than climbing a mountain.

I'm glad we agree. The baseball season should be cancelled right now. No one should be put at risk by silly sports that are the very poster child of non-essential.

• Upvote 1