Sneak Peek: BA's Carolina League Top 20

tywright

1 - Matt Wieters

2 - Jake Arietta

No surprise Wieters is #1, but it's nice to see Arrieta at #2 and in front of some very good prospects. This tells us that Arrieta is a top 50 overall prospect.

3 - Gorkys Hernandez

4 - Nick Weglarz

5 - Beau Mills

6 - Aaron Poreda

7 - Blake Wood

8 - Brandon Erbe

Erbe at #8 tells us that BA is really valuing his tools and that he should be a top 100 guy.

9 - Hector Rondon

10 - Chris Marrero

11 - Ross Detwiler

12 - Tyler Flowers

13 - Brandon Hicks

14 - Brandon Allen

15 - Carlos Rivero

16 - Brandon Snyder

Snyder probably should be higher.

17 - John Ely

18 - Josh Tomlin

19 - Kanekoa Texeira

20 - Billy Rowell

I'm actually surprised Rowell is on here. This shows BA still believes his tools might translate into some success down the road.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And start his MLB clock....nahhh:rolleyes:

Seriously, if they do think of him as the most ready then why wasn't he in AA?

Took it slow like with Wieters. However with the interest the Olympic team had in him they had to let him go do it. Really having him represent America is more important than a couple of weeks at AA.

I see him starting next season at AA. Dont think we see him in Norfolk till the half way point.

I think MacPhail wants to slow the speed at which kids come thru the system. Im not sure any of the BaySox starters will make the Orioles opening day roster next year either. One guy that could make it in the pen is Hernandez.

What I see them doing is making a major bid for Teix. And getting maybe two retread starters thru trade or free agency. Im talking like guys who have a 4.5-5.0 era and can give you 160-180 innings.

Where is this sneak peak coming from?

Assuming it's accurate, it's very exciting. I'm not too surprised about Wieters and Arrieta being 1-2. But everyone else who was a plausible candidate made the list, and Erbe coming in at no. 8 is a coup.

I can't wait to see the online artice on Friday. The headline should be something like "O's prospects dominate Carolina League." Sweet!

Assuming it's accurate, it's very exciting. I'm not too surprised about Wieters and Arrieta being 1-2. But everyone else who was a plausible candidate made the list, and Erbe coming in at no. 8 is a coup.

I can't wait to see the online artice on Friday. The headline should be something like "O's prospects dominate Carolina League." Sweet!

Someone from www.minorleagueball.com says they got the hard issue in the mail. This happens every year.

Yeah, it's about the best you could hope for.

Is this a possibility??

If they have 5, then Bowie should at least have 4 of their own and possibly 5.

I will go out on the limb and say:

1)Weiters

2)Tillman

3)Bergesen

4)Reimold

5)Hernandez

I just can't imagine them not being in the Top 20. If they do make it, then I would say that our Hi A and AA has made a statement on how our farm system has improved!! I would say our minor league system would be in the top 10!!

Is this a possibility??

I just can't imagine them not being in the Top 20. If they do make it, then I would say that our Hi A and AA has made a statement on how our farm system has improved!! I would say our minor league system would be in the top 10!!

They all look like solid bets, to me.

Is this a possibility??

They may not include Wieters since he was listed in A. But I could see Montanez possibly making the list too, assuming he's still considered a prospect. The same goes for Berken.

There is no way Detwiler should be at #11.

He was older than Snyder and got completely shelled this year. They were both first round picks, so draft pedigree can't be the reason why.

I actually think Rowell should be ahead of Detwiler too. He was 3 years younger and I think his season was actually better.

There is no way Detwiler should be at #11.

He was older than Snyder and got completely shelled this year. They were both first round picks, so draft pedigree can't be the reason why.

I actually think Rowell should be ahead of Detwiler too. He was 3 years younger and I think his season was actually better.

The Nats have been getting pretty hyped by BA in the Top 20 lists, so I'm not surprised Detwiler is that high.

I just can't imagine [Weiters, Tillman, Begesen, Reimold and Hernandez] not being in the Top 20. If they do make it, then I would say that our Hi A and AA has made a statement on how our farm system has improved!! I would say our minor league system would be in the top 10!!

It will not be easy for one team to get 5 players in the Eastern League top 20. Remember, that's a 12-team league. The Carolina League is an 8-team league so getting 5 on that list was a little easier. That said, Wieters and Tillman are locks and strong arguments can be made for the other 3. I hope you won't be too bummed if DH doesn't make it, because it's going to be a close call.

As to whether our organization is in the top 10, I don't think you can tell just from the top 20 lists of the Eastern and Carolina leagues. We have nothing at Norfolk, and apparently BA isn't too impressed with what we have in the lower levels of the minors. It just so happens that we have a confluence of talent at AA and A+, with little in front of it or behind it.

Philosophically, if you have 10 players talented enough to make a BA top 20 list, is it better to have 9 of them stacked up at AA and A+, or would it be better to have 1-2 of them at every level of the minors?

If the Orioles were already a solid team at the majors league level, I might prefer the "steady flow" model. But since we're awful, I kind of like the idea that we have a large number of players 1-2 years away.

By the way, let's not sleep on Matusz, Spoone and Patton, who won't be on any top 20 list but who are very much in the mix in the coming wave of talent.

Archived