Second Guessing Hyde and Elias (In season 2020)

sportsfan8703

A couple days late but in the extra inning game I though Hyde managed himself into a corner when he had Pedro bunt to lead off. I think he was expecting them to pitch to Rio but instead they walked him to bring up Sisco, who predictably struck out. Ended up being inconsequential but did not look good at the time.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, OldNewGuy said:

What year of the "plan" is winning supposed to begin?

Never.  It would bring an end to the perpetual quest for early draft picks and we all know that would be a fate far worse than death for many.

I second-guessed him a lot last year, which I guess was “second guessing 2019” and I am increasingly convinced that he is a transitional manager. His job is not to win games. His job should be to develop players, evaluate the guys we have, and a showcase them as positively as possible for trade purposes, but he’s not doing that. He’s doesn’t say anything substantive, he toes the party line, and he says what the leaders want him to say. He won’t be here beyond his contract.

On the plus side, however, his use of the pitching staff, questionable at times, has shown some creativity.

Edited by Philip

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I smiled when I saw this and thought of @Can_of_corn.  I didn't like seeing DSJR hitting 4th but it made me laugh knowing that CoC might accidentally set the wrong sous vide temperature because he got flustered.

Just picked up a corned beef brisket that I'm going to sous vide while I can't leave the house.

2 hours ago, milbest77 said:

Trading Bleier.Trading little Yaz.

Yaz is doing very well and turning into a star for the giants, but of all the terrible moves this team has made over the years, letting go of Yaz wasn’t one of them. I think he should have been given a chance, but he wasn’t, for arguable reasons.

Trading Bleier Was not-and this has been said multiple times before-a bad move. We can’t judge it anyway until we find out what the return was.

I have no faith in any part of the Marlins organization, so I’m hopeful we took advantage, but again, that remains to be seen.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

I second-guessed him a lot last year, which I guess was “second guessing 2019” and I am increasingly convinced that he is a transitional manager. His job is not to win games. His job should be to develop players, evaluate the guys we have, and a showcase them as positively as possible for trade purposes, but he’s not doing that. He’s doesn’t say anything substantive, he toes the party line, and he says what the leaders want him to say. He won’t be here beyond his contract.

On the plus side, however, his use of the pitching staff, questionable at times, has shown some creativity.

How do you "showcase them as positively as possible" if the point is not to win the games they're playing?  How does not winning enhance the development of the guys we have?  What is the market for unproven players on non-winning teams?  At what point did Hyde lose the ability to grow as a manager and forever be consigned to "transitional" status?

I suggest that not winning would be the best way imaginable for Hyde to make that transitional status his permanent future.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

How do you "showcase them as positively as possible" if the point is not to win the games they're playing?  How does not winning enhance the development of the guys we have?  What is the market for unproven players on non-winning teams?  At what point did Hyde lose the ability to grow as a manager and forever be consigned to "transitional" status?

I suggest that not winning would be the best way imaginable for Hyde to make that transitional status his permanent future.

It is a bit of a conundrum. But consider, Smith isn’t going to be here beyond this season, he might not be here for the rest of the season, so if you get anything for him, you’re money ahead.

Same for any of the guys, Frobby Mentioned that Bleier Was successful because Buck used him very carefully and in the right situations. That increased his value and we have seen the result.  So even on a bad team it is possible it is advantageous to present your guys in the best possible light to increase their value, however small it might be, with a view to trading them for future assets. That’s not rocket science.

As I mentioned, he does not seem to be doing that. 
Regarding thinking that he’s a transitional manager, he just doesn’t seem to have a whole lot of creative thought, he isn’t able to eliminate ridiculous fundamental baseball mistakes and his pitching choices are often curious.

For me the worst thing is how he’s dealing with Davis and with the sloppy play.

But that’s my opinion, and you’re welcome to disagree.

• Upvote 1

I knew last year was about evaluating the roster and not wins.

This year was going to be the same, but I feel like the short season, players opting out, expanded playoffs, rule changes, should have EVERY team feeling like should take a shot.

Davis can't be in this line up much more this year.  Lets see what happens with the rest of the Marlins series before jumping off the hook on Elias and Hyde though. 

• Upvote 1