Second Guessing Hyde and Elias (In season 2020)

sportsfan8703

32 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

In 1931 minor league at-bats he has 424 strikeouts. Fairly comparable to Austin Hays' 266 strikeouts in 1321 minor league at-bats or Santander 402/1844.

Strikeouts are a part of the game but Sisco isn't Chris Davis out there.

Maybe I am overstating how bad Sisco is but look at it this way. Giving up the out is a borderline call to begin with (they did not do it in the 10th), and Sisco is probably the last guy on our roster you want to bring up. Ray's walked Rio to get the matchup they wanted and they got the result they wanted so IMO not a good look for Hyde.

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Maybe I am overstating how bad Sisco is but look at it this way. Giving up the out is a borderline call to begin with (they did not do it in the 10th), and Sisco is probably the last guy on our roster you want to bring up. Ray's walked Rio to get the matchup they wanted and they got the result they wanted so IMO not a good look for Hyde.

Davis, Mullins, Velazquez, Holaday.  When the game happened, Stewart.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Davis, Mullins, Velazquez, Holaday.  When the game happened, Stewart.

Drake is a splitter guy with reverse splits. You are looking to avoid the strikeout or the double play. Velazquez is RH and fast. Holaday is RH and lower strikeout risk. Mullins is SH and would probably (mistakenly) hit LH, his weak side against Drake's strong side. However, he is at least fast so I would give him a slight edge over Sisco in avoiding the DP. 

I would say Stewart and Sisco are about even. I will give you Davis. 

I think Mason Williams’ game would play up in OPACY. He’s the same age as Smith Jr and is two years older than Stewart. I don’t think age matters. Williams has been a victim of him being off the 40 man roster and Smith/Stewart being on the 40 man. 

Williams should be here and I think he could give us 2-3 years of “good” production in a LF/CF role. We’d go from one of the worst defenders in LF in MLB, to one of the best. 

Give the dude a shot. 

We went from the tough, scrappy team that nobody wanted to play because we could shorten the game with our pen, to now we’re some participation ribbon type team that actually plays scheduled shortened games. 

It’s just sad. 

We won’t be seeing OFFNY bump then “Don’t tell me these O’s don’t have heart” thread for a long time. 

On 8/5/2020 at 2:24 PM, 24fps said:

If Hyde had the judgement and foresight to reliably and consistently present multiple players in their best possible light over the course of even a shortened season, he would be the greatest manager the game has ever seen.  It's not rocket science, it's something far more difficult given the number of variables and amount of guesswork involved.  Then there's the interpersonal difficulties that come from trying to  manage competitive athletes in an environment where playing time is allocated primarily to see how quickly they can be offloaded...

Very few things in life are easier to understand than the point of sports - to win the contest, first and foremost.  All athletes understand this and all managers understand that about their players.  If you want to tout the benefits of strategic losing and keep the discussion within the lines, IMO you'll end up in quicksand almost immediately.  

I certainly don’t. I think losing is awful and I can’t imagine trying to lose, or putting players on the field when you have clearly better ones that sit.

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We went from the tough, scrappy team that nobody wanted to play because we could shorten the game with our bullpen to being some participation-ribbon-type team that actually plays scheduled shortened games. 

Its just sad. 

We won’t be seeing OFFNY bump then “Don’t tell me these O’s don’t have heart” thread for a long time.

o

If the Orioles win tonight's game, I will likely hit it ........ "Coming off of a 4-game sweep at the hands of the (presumably) lowly Marlins, the struggling Orioles somehow found a way to come right back and defeat the defending world champions in their very next game.

o

7 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

If the Orioles win tonight's game, I will likely hit it ........ "Coming off of a 4-game sweep at the hands of the (presumably) lowly Marlins, the struggling Orioles somehow found a way to come right back and defeat the defending world champions in their very next game.

o

Momentum is the next day's starting pitcher...here comes our OD starter, Tomaso Anthony Milone.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We went from the tough, scrappy team that nobody wanted to play because we could shorten the game with our bullpen to being some participation-ribbon-type team that actually plays scheduled shortened games. 

Its just sad. 

14 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

4 minutes ago, makoman said:

Momentum is the next day's starting pitcher ........ here comes our OD starter, Tomaso Anthony Milone.

o

Yes.

Remember, the Orioles suffered a crushing loss to Aaron Judge and the Yankees on his 3-run home run in the 9th and final inning ........ yet they somehow not only came back to win their next game, they won all 3 games of their ensuing series against the D-Rays.

o

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

No excuse for not pinch running for Davis last night in the 9th. Tying run in the 9th inning. Davis is the slowest runner on the team. Lucky it didn’t cost us because almost anyone should score on Alberto’s double. 

Who did they have that could pinch run?  The third string catcher?  A pitcher?

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

No excuse for not pinch running for Davis last night in the 9th. Tying run in the 9th inning. Davis is the slowest runner on the team. Lucky it didn’t cost us because almost anyone should score on Alberto’s double. 

Davis must have a collection of voodoo dolls, all the incriminating pictures, or several burly friends all named Guido.

I remember in the dugout altercation last summer, it sure looked like Hyde retreated out of fear, instead of any other reason.

since then I wonder if Hyde is Just intimidated by Davis?