Trying to Salvage a Game (vs. MARLINS, 8/06)

OFFNY

o

SEAN MICHAEL ARMSTRONG

Entered the game with a runner on 3rd base, and only 1 out ........ he stranded that runner by striking out Berti, and getting Cervelli to line out.

He pitched an additional inning, getting all 3 batters that he faced.

5 Up, 5 Down.

21 Pitches )(14 )Strikes,)7 )Balls.)

o

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Ball came *really* fast. Got it by pure reflex. I still had some decent reflexes then as it was my last year of over 30's league baseball. We were still playing.

I got another the next year on the other side of the field, sort of just under the club seats. A foul ball hit a seat a few rows in front of me and skipped like a rock on a pond and then into my chest. I trapped it. Had a beer in the other hand!

Nice.  I've never gotten an in game ball.  Have about 10 BP balls I caught in the bleachers at Memorial Stadium by the foul pole.

I've botched a couple opportunities for in game balls and a friend sitting next to me has caught 3.  The Valentin ball, an Al Oliver foul way down the 3B line at Memorial Stadium (same friend as the Valentin ball), and a Bobby No foul down the 3B line at a playoff game at OPACY in this at bat, a few pitches before:

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I get your point, but the issue isn’t losing a few games, but that two of our pitchers(Suarez and Irwin) have apparently regressed to their mediocre mean, and are no longer dependable, leaving us with two useable starters and huge question marks in Kremer and Povich, AND still one short. The bullpen, despite lofty MLB Rankings, isn’t reliable, and we have nothing, nothing, in the minors. Will we pray that McDermott is the second coming of Nolan Ryan, who walked everyone in sight but was ok anyway? We have already lost 14-11 and 10-8. We have excellent offense, and can have better if Mike would end his love affair with Hays and Mullins, but Mike seems reluctant to make any major trades, and Burnes trade aside, that’s been his MO since we got over .500. The fear is that unless he does something significant, we will slowly sink. The question is whether Mike thinks we won’t sink enough to miss October.
    • I thought the 4-32 was 2008 so I went it looked it up, looks like that one was “only” 6-28 after being 62-65 on Aug 20. No shortage of late season collapses for this club. 
    • Other teams know exactly what we need. Mike does too. The idea he needs to wait another month to decide what he needs is pretty silly. And the idea that the price will be better a month from now instead of today is also pretty silly. The price will probably be higher, but it won’t be lower. waiting does nothing except minimize the impact of anyone we pickup.
    • The Orioles had clawed their way back to a .500 record preceding the 4-32 collapse in 2002. I went to the first game that kicked off the losing streak. Looking back at it now it was clearly fool's gold with that roster expecting them to be a good team. But after several down year's O's fans were hungry for a winning team. Little did we know the wait last another decade.
    • Understood, but I wasn’t referring to your comment, but to his. He failed to get anyone useful.
    • Yeah that was pretty epic, even for an already losing season. Or were they barely in contention? I conveniently can't remember. 2017? Nope, but that was pretty bad too. After a 7-game win streak to the end of August, they were 8 games back, but then lost 22 of 29 to finish 18 games out.
    • Westburg has the potential to have a Jeff Kent like career offensively with his ability shown so far to hit for good batting average and home run power.
  • Popular Contributors