Should Eshelman replace LeBlanc in the rotation?

wildcard

I don't have strong feelings either way. They are very similar pitchers and even though Eshelman is in his "prime", I'm not sure that is much more valuable than LeBlanc's veteranocity.

Akin would be fine too, although he does have nearly double the walk rate of Eshelman and LeBlanc.

I agree with others, would prefer the youngsters, Akin, Lowther, Kremer....even if we make the playoffs (if that even happens) we are not going deep and want to see what we have.   And all 3 may be better than either LeBlanc or Eshelman. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Of course you can..especially when the current ML options aren’t good.

I was talking about what Wildcard was talking about.

If he is convinced that the playing the rookie would somehow negatively impact the O's chances to win then you have to make a choice.

• Upvote 1

Just now, murph said:

I agree with others, would prefer the youngsters, Akin, Lowther, Kremer....even if we make the playoffs (if that even happens) we are not going deep and want to see what we have.   And all 3 may be better than either LeBlanc or Eshelman. 

I would be surprised if all three are better than LeBlanc or Eshelman, even long term. Doesn't mean I wouldn't rather watch them though. 

14 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

It should be Akin.  I do not understand the hesitation to use him while also having all the confidence in the world in guys with lesser minor league track records who barely have ML experience (i.e., Sulser, Lakins and Eshelman). 

While I agree that Akins stuck out batters at AAA he did have very good control.   A 1.513 WHIP and a 4.73 ERA.  That was at 24 years old.

Eshelman  at age 23 was 10-3 with a 2.68 ERA and a WHIP of 0.973 at AAA.

Overall at AAA Eshelman  as a 4.12 ERA and a 1.308 ERA still better than Akin.

Plus right now with the O's has a 3.65 ERA with a 0.892 WHIP.

Eshelman is only a year older then Akin.

I would give Eshelman a chance now in the rotation because he has a better record of success.  If the O's fall out of the race then Akin can get his time in the rotation.

Lakins current has a 2.89 ERA and a 1.071 WHIP.  Certain deserve to be in the pen.   Hyde has picked Sulser as his closer.

JMO

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

While I agree that Akins stuck out batters at AAA he did have very good control.   A 1.513 WHIP and a 4.73 ERA.  That was at 24 years old.

I would give Eshelman a chance now in the rotation because he has a better record of success.  If the O's fall out of the race then Akin can get his time in the rotation.

Lakins current has a 2.89 ERA and a 1.071 WHIP.  Certain deserve to be in the pen.   Hyde has picked Sulser as his closer.

JMO

Akin had one of the best ERAs in the Intl league last year.  The whole league played like the fences were 250ft away because of the juiced ball.

You have to provide context if you are going to cite the stats.

Agreed that he needs to improve on the command and control.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Akin had one of the best ERAs in the Intl league last year.  The whole league played like the fences were 250ft away because of the juiced ball.

You have to provide context if you are going to site the stats.

Same ball in the majors.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

JMO

You can't really compare their AAA track records because Akin's only year was when they used the ML ball in AAA.  It essentially became a completely different league.  I didn't say Lakins or Sulser didn't deserve to be in their roles, rather my point was I don't understand why Hyde has shown so much confidence in them despite their very limited ML experience while at the same time he seems hesitant to use Akin unless we are up or down by 10 runs.  It doesn't make sense to me.

It is pretty clear that Akin has a better overall minor league track record than any of those guys.  Eshelman gave up 10.1 H/9 in his minor league career, those guys tend to get clobbered in the majors.  Don't be fooled by Eshelman's ERA after 12 IP this season.  He still has a 5.68 FIP, is giving up 2.2 HR/9 and has a K rate of 3.6/9.  He is a ticking time bomb out there. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I would be surprised if all three are better than LeBlanc or Eshelman, even long term. Doesn't mean I wouldn't rather watch them though. 

Right...I said "may" to keep myself grounded.   But if all 3 are better, that would be a nice start to the next crop of youngsters.  One can hope...

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You have to provide context if you are going to cite the stats.

Agreed that he needs to improve on the command and control.  

I have seen Akin in person probably more than most. I have real hopes that he will play up at the MLB level. It's easy to put up gaudy pitching stats at low A. MLB is hard. Camden Yards is harder. 

• Upvote 2