The deadline is looming...Is Elias done?

Roll Tide

Alberto, Santander, Nunez, Severino all in today's lineup (in case anyone thought one of them could be dealt). Of course, that doesn't rule out a deal, but it appears a deal for any of those seem unlikely.

I don't expect anything else from the Orioles today, but maybe we see Castro, Cobb or Fry go somewhere?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

It is unlikely for somebody to be traded and then pulled in the middle of a game right?

If a trade is agreed upon the player would he pulled. 

If anything was close they can be pulled before first pitch

Once the game starts something would have to boil but that’s why it’s a deadline. 

So I don’t think it’s anymore likely/unlikely. It’s just wasn’t hot before the first pitch

I guess we should thank the Orioles for playing like crap the past two weeks, opening up the trade talks and closing the door on any thoughts Hyde may have had on trying to talk Elias into keeping the team intact.

This is still a rebuilding club and we are still a few years away.  While the .500 record through the first 24 games was nice, we can't lose site of the overall long term plan.

So, with that said, I certainly hope Elias is not done yet today.

• Upvote 2

Or Elias is just letting the other teams know he doesn't like their offers enough to pull them from the game today. He could be  negotiating  a deal and one of these players could be added late to a multi player deal. I hope he deals Castro, Cobb and Severino. We have catchers we can replace Severino with. I think he is overrated and is part of the reason none of our pitchers can go six or more innings.I like Holoday and Cisco and we still have Wynns for a few weeks if needed.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If you were to trade Scott, you need to get a good deal..better than Givens..maybe a lot better.

Scott at his best is very good, but when he’s not his best, he’s awful. Very little middle ground with him, and you don’t know what you’re going to get. So I doubt he’s more valuable than Givens, even though he has better stuff.

Once Lynn comes off the board, it could open the way for Cobb if someone is really desperate for starting pitching. I still think it's going to be really tough to move him, but it's definitely possible. 

Iglesias is playing short today which feels a little like "See? He's healthy enough to start at SS again!" But if he does go, the options at SS this year and next are still abysmal. With more prospects slated to take the mound at SP next season, wouldn't they want Iglesias for the same reasons they wanted him this year? The return might have to be kind of silly. 

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Scott at his best is very good, but when he’s not his best, he’s awful. Very little middle ground with him, and you don’t know what you’re going to get. So I doubt he’s more valuable than Givens, even though he has better stuff.

Givens is the better pitcher but Scott is 4 years younger and has a ton of control, especially cheap control.

He should be worth more just because of that.  

It’s not unusual for guys to take some time to become a dominant reliever.  

Hug Watch afternoon is here.

It'll be interesting to see if the Clevinger trade ends up like the Bedard trade, or another example ala Verlander, Cole, Greinke of the aces for growing excellent teams being bought off the shelf with depth pieces.  I don't give that knucklehead the stature of those Astros guys.

Padres-Indians World Series could be fun.