Cole Sulser: not closer material

Frobby

This may seem like piling on after a tough weekend, but I just don’t see what Hyde sees in Cole Sulser.    It’s not like we have any great option at closer, but this guy has meh stuff and meh command in my opinion     Be prepared for more “aaaarrrggghhhh” moments.

He’s not but does that matter? 

The discussion has been going on for years, who do you put on that role?  How important is it?  

I feel that your best relievers should be made available throughout the whole game, not just worry about the 9th inning.  However, that’s not really how it’s done.

There is a reason that he is 30 and had less than 20 ML innings coming into the season.  I just don’t think he’s a ML reliever, regardless of the role.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s not but does that matter? 

The discussion has been going on for years, who do you put on that role?  How important is it?  

I feel that your best relievers should be made available throughout the whole game, not just worry about the 9th inning.  However, that’s not really how it’s done.

There is a reason that he is 30 and had less than 20 ML innings coming into the season.  I just don’t think he’s a ML reliever, regardless of the role.

Intellectually, I suppose there’s no difference between blowing a lead in the 6th vs. the 9th.    But emotionally, the latter is much tougher to take.    I agree Sulser is at best a marginal major league reliever, regardless of role.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Intellectually, I suppose there’s no difference between blowing a lead in the 6th vs. the 9th.    But emotionally, the latter is much tougher to take.    I agree Sulser is at best a marginal major league reliever, regardless of role.   

No question.  I think there is something to be said about the mental toll it takes.

That being said, I would rather not put the young arms in that role right now.  As much as I think the role of closer is overrated, I also think that there is no doubt that players allow it to effect them mentally.  There are some who can’t handle it.  Givens is a good example of someone who seemingly couldn’t handle that role but could be a dominant guy in other innings.

Let guys like Tate, Harvey and Scott continue to develop in their roles and let’s see from there.  I kind of hope Castro is moved today but if he’s not, I would consider trying him there.

The second the game was over yesterday my father in law texted me, “I told you he isn’t a closer.” 

My response was they know that. 

That said at this point they tried it and it’s time to move on. His splits are incredible. He owns lefties. His issues are walks and with all the baserunners he isn’t enough of a strikeout pitcher to get away with it. If he is used at the right time he can be a solid piece. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No question.  I think there is something to be said about the mental toll it takes.

That being said, I would rather not put the young arms in that role right now.  As much as I think the role of closer is overrated, I also think that there is no doubt that players allow it to effect them mentally.  There are some who can’t handle it.  Givens is a good example of someone who seemingly couldn’t handle that role but could be a dominant guy in other innings.

Let guys like Tate, Harvey and Scott continue to develop in their roles and let’s see from there.  I kind of hope Castro is moved today but if he’s not, I would consider trying him there.

Agree with this. I would use Castro at this point. I think he is best chance we see a deal today also.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

This may seem like piling on after a tough weekend, but I just don’t see what Hyde sees in Cole Sulser.    It’s not like we have any great option at closer, but this guy has meh stuff and meh command in my opinion     Be prepared for more “aaaarrrggghhhh” moments.

He is not closer material.

Hyde said after the game that the closer role is open.   Which is to say it will probably not be Sulser going forward.   I want to see Sulser in middle relief.  And yes, I think that is different from the ninth.   If Sulser gets in trouble in the 7th Hyde can replace him.  Most of the time whoever starts the ninth finishes the inning.

I think when Armstrong is eligible on the 6th he will get a shot at closer.  He is a little older, more experienced than some of the other relievers and he is having a good season so far.

- I'm sure some pitchers let the 9th inning get into their heads a little.  Rarely a lot.

- Most of the "he's not a closer" effect is a guy who just happened to give up a few runs during his first handful of opportunities and the label sticks forever even though they'd be fine (or at least no different than in other roles).  Essentially every reliever gives up most of their runs in just a few outings, they just need to be lucky enough so that those few outings aren't in two of their first five save opportunities, lest they get a scarlet NC tattooed on their foreheads.

• Upvote 1