Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we would have just kept Mark Reynolds on the salaries he’s been paid since he left, you’d have to say we won the Reynolds/Hernandez swap. It would mean no Chris Davis extension. 

Mark Renynolds is an absolutely horrible player.  I am not sure what we would have won a terrible fielding player who strikes out all the time.

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

(Apologies for taking this post way deeper than anyone needed)

The 2013 Orioles won 85 games.  With Reynolds instead of Davis they probably win something like 78 games.  That was the year they traded for Scott Feldman and Bud Norris, so it's pretty likely they'd have tried to replace Reynolds and his .699 OPS.

In 2015 they probably win about 75 games trading Davis for Reynolds' 93 OPS+.  Again they were in win-now mode, and probably throw prospects overboard for a Reynolds replacement. 

In 2016 they made the 2nd wildcard, barely.  Davis was worth about two wins over Reynolds, so in a vacuum they miss the playoffs.  Reynolds only played 118 games in Colorado, so he would probably have been worse playing every day in the AL East.

Yes, this is an academic exercise with lots of unknowables. But it's pretty likely that just replacing Davis with Reynolds would have resulted in losing records in 2013 and 2015, and no playoff game in 2016.  We've turned a five-year run with the best record in the AL east into a continuation of the 1998-2011 period, with 2012 as the outlier.  Maybe 2014 happens, but I have my doubts coming on the heels of a losing 2013.

This strikes me as a “wings of the butterfly” type of argument.   In my alternative universe, the fact that we are a few games further back in 2013 means we don’t trade Arrieta for Feldman and Hader etc. for Norris.    We keep Arrieta and therefore don’t sign Ubaldo for 4/$50 mm.   Wallace and Chiti show up in the spring of ‘14 and turn Arrieta around, as Zack Britton insists they would have done.    We win the AL East going away, and with Arrieta leading the staff, go on to win the World Series.    And if we are a few games worse in 2015 than we were with Davis, we definitely don’t make the Davies for Parra trade.    With Davies in the ‘16 rotation, we finish ahead of Toronto, host the wild card game, and Ubaldo isn’t around to pitch extra innings.    

Hey, it’s just as valid as your scenario....

• Upvote 2

Wonder who had to go pick up Phil at the nursing home.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27018053/mets-fire-eiland-name-regan-82-pitching-coach

The New York Mets have fired pitching coach Dave Eiland and bullpen coach Chuck Hernandez, the team announced Thursday.

The Mets named 82-year-old Phil Regan as Eiland's replacement, Ricky Bones the interim bullpen coach and Jeremy Accardo to the newly created role of pitching strategist.

Eiland, 52, was in his second season as the Mets' pitching coach. Hernandez was in his first season with the team.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

This strikes me as a “wings of the butterfly” type of argument.   In my alternative universe, the fact that we are a few games further back in 2013 means we don’t trade Arrieta for Feldman and Hader etc. for Norris.    We keep Arrieta and therefore don’t sign Ubaldo for 4/$50 mm.   Wallace and Chiti show up in the spring of ‘14 and turn Arrieta around, as Zack Britton insists they would have done.    We win the AL East going away, and with Arrieta leading the staff, go on to win the World Series.    And if we are a few games worse in 2015 than we were with Davis, we definitely don’t make the Davies for Parra trade.    With Davies in the ‘16 rotation, we finish ahead of Toronto, host the wild card game, and Ubaldo isn’t around to pitch extra innings.    

Hey, it’s just as valid as your scenario....

No need for the Sheriff. And go ahead. Shoot that deputy. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wonder who had to go pick up Phil at the nursing home.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27018053/mets-fire-eiland-name-regan-82-pitching-coach

I thought Regan was retirement age when he was the O's manager 25 years ago.  Good for him.  Besides Connie Mack, who owned the team and couldn't be fired, I've never heard of a MLB coach or manager that old.