Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I wonder how many times it happened before 2000? 

Asks the question: where’s the line between too good to run on, and bad enough to be run on enough to throw out 44 runners? At some point I’m sure someone says “he has a good arm; don’t run on him”, but that evidently didn’t happen here. But why?

On 9/14/2019 at 8:04 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

There's a whole subculture of made-up, impossibly specific records, usually designed to favorably compare Avisail Garcia with Ty Cobb. I don't know Jeremy Frank at all, but I think the only purpose of the Elias Bureau today is to let us know that someone became the first player since 1955 to have 24 doubles, 4 triples, 23 homers, 61 walks and 14 HBP in a sixteen-week period.  Of course 17 others did almost that or something more impressive, but then they couldn't tweet it out like it has meaning.

Seems like Jim Hunter is probably a sucker for them.

On 9/14/2019 at 3:46 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I like this one better.

11 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I wonder how many times it happened before 2000? 

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

A lot of years, runners simply didn’t dare to run on Bench.   He wasn’t catching 40 runners because nobody was running.   

‘69: 26 homers, 30-40 SB-CS

‘70 45 homers, 32-30

‘71: 27 homers, 37-26

’72: 40 homers, 24-31

’73: 25 homers, 28-27

’74: 33 homers, 37-35

’75: 28 homers, 32-27

’77: 31 homers, 64-42

I don’t consider ‘77 to be one of his better years viz. preventing the running game.  

Records like this are less contrived if they involve just a few categories and round numbers.  So the Realmuto number is better than the previous one.  

But as Frobby points out, raw caught stealing numbers involve a number of factors including nobody runs much on a very good defensive catcher.  And the pitching staff.  We joke about TTP, but there are real differences in steal attempts between pitching staffs even after controlling for the catcher.

The other thing is Realmuto is at the very bottom of this list of qualifiers.  He just hit his 25th homer, and threw out his 40th baserunner in the past couple weeks. As TonySoprano mentioned, a number of catchers cleared the homer mark by a lot more, just prior to 2000.  I think Yogi's is the most impressive (or at least most interesting) since basically nobody stole any bases in '51.  The average AL team attempted 90 steals in '51 and was successful 57% of the time.  So teams attempted to steal more often than average on Yogi despite him throwing out 55% of opponents.  That's one benefit we have today - people actually have access to and look at that data and think, huh, maybe we shouldn't steal so much off that guy.

There have only been 27 catchers who hit 25 homers in a season since 2000.

In 2000 Pudge Rodriguez hit 27 homers in only 91 games.  He also threw out 20 of 41 basestealers, leading the league in percentage.
In 2001 he hit 25 homers and caught just 106 games.  He threw out 35 basestealers.  Pro-rated to 140 games his numbers are 33 and 46.
Pudge threw out 40+ basestealers in a season six times while often leading the league in CS%.  I'm sure if give 2019 balls he'd have hit 25+ homers a few more times.

In 2012 Buster Posey hit 24 homers, threw out 38 opposing basestealers, also led the league in batting average, OPS+ and was the league MVP.  But of course not on this list since he just fell short of both qualifiers while having a far superior overall season.