Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

He got hit by a pitch around the 10-12 and took treatment for it.

I really wonder, if he/they arent hiding an injury that needs the off-season to heal?

Why would they even run that kind of investment back out there then? He might be hiding it, but not them. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The SD Padres are in 4th place with a record of 68-88

They are paying Manny Machado $30 million a year to slash .251/.331/.452/.782. Their attendance is 9th out 15 teams in the NL but went up 2,842 fans this year. The average ticket price in SD is $60.  So before concessions, Machado brought in $168,120 extra in gate revenue the first year. Let's say each fan purchased $30 worth of concessions.  That's another $85,260 so added together the Machado effect gained the Padres $253,380 in tickets and concession.

Machado has earned $46,802 per PA this year so far. So Machado earned the net amount from gate and concession improvements in his first 5.41 Plate appearances. So after his fifth plate appearance of the season, Machado wasn't worth his contract. :D

Supposedly their TV ratings went up by like 80% this year. 

Somewhere in this thread I speculated that Manny may miss his career projections and fall short of a HOF career. I think Drungo reposted the probabilities based on his career performance to date for his age, etc. I am not a Manny hater, although I deplored his immature and unsportsmanlike behavior on many occasions and wrote as much, but I still think that Manny is likely to fall short of his age-based projections and maybe very significantly so. It will be interesting to see how he performs next year. His career pattern to date suggests that he may produce a top ten MVP vote type season next year, but if he is mediocre again his deal may start to smell real bad relatively soon. 

Manny has about the same number of hits in the same amount of playing time through age 26 as Ken Griffey Jr, Frank Robinson, Miguel Cabrera, and Mike Trout.

Through his age he's 32nd all time in rWAR.  Some of his peers in the 25-35 range are Robin Yount, Cal, George Brett, Ron Santo.  Players with 1000+ games through 26 and lesser career value include Roberto Alomar, Bryce Harper, Ivan Rodriguez, Orlando Cepeda, Adrian Beltre, and Bobby Doerr.  Roberto Clemente had 3700 PAs through 26 and was worth less than 2/3rds what Manny has been. 

There are 150-odd position players in the Hall, and about 28 of them were more productive through Manny's age than Manny has been.

I certainly enjoyed watching Manny play in Baltimore, and hope that he continues to play well and will eventually end up in the Hall.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Adam Jones sitting out more often and he will become a free agent again and I think he gets zero offers this offseason.  He did buy a 4 million dollar house the other day in Paradise Valley though. 

Maybe he could become part of the MASN broadcast team.  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Random a m thought... we used to criticize Jerry Hairston for his warning track power,  but he might be a 30 homer guy with this ball. 

In 2001 Hairston had 25 doubles, five triples and eight homers, and that was pretty typical for him except for the fact he managed to play a full season.  The average MLB batter that year hit 17 homers per 600 PAs.  This year the average MLB batter hits 22 homers per 600 PAs.  I don't think that's likely to change eight homers into 30.  I think it turns it into 10 or 12.  Unless you're going to assume he completely changed his approach to emphasize launch angle, and that change was all positive.

• Thanks 1

He had dropped completely off my radar for this season, but danged if the Braves haven't nursed Darren O'Day back for a few September innings.  That hip may only hold up for a dozen or so innings, but in addition to enjoying Nick, I will be delighted if he makes the postseason roster.  I am sure these 4-5 innings are being closely evaluated for that call.