Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

Jim Johnson with another bad outing... brought in for the top of the 9th with A's down by one. In 2/3 of an inning gives up 2BB's 2Hits and 4 runs.

No mention of his 8 scoreless outings that preceded this. He was on the verge of reclaiming the closer job.

No mention of his 8 scoreless outings that preceded this. He was on the verge of reclaiming the closer job.

I am not sure they go with a dedicated closer again this year.

If you look at it they have had seven different relievers finish at least three games this year. Save are more bunched with it going 3-1-1.

Brian Roberts hits a game-winning solo jack in the top of the ninth. His first home run of the year.

He also had a single earlier in the game to drive in one and raised his average to .250 on the year.

I am not sure they go with a dedicated closer again this year.

If you look at it they have had seven different relievers finish at least three games this year. Save are more bunched with it going 3-1-1.

Maybe Beane gets it. By having one closer and letting that guy accumulate a mountain of saves it does nothing but drive up prices when it comes arbitration time.

I'm not sure how it affects Johnson's value going forward if instead of 50 saves he only has, say 20-25. As you say, they seem to be spreading the wealth amongst a few very capable guys.

Johnson is also a commodity. I wouldn't put it past Beane to flip him at the deadline to a team in need and restock if one of the other guys has proven himself.

Well you can safely let someone like Johnson accumulate saves this season. It isn't likely that Oakland wants him back at market value or would tender him a qualifying offer.

I don't think Beane is sold on JJ being able to get the job done so he decided to spread them around since he would run into issues if he let one of his arms under team control accumulate them.

As for flipping him...don't a lot of trade deadline closer become set up men at their new homes?

Well you can safely let someone like Johnson accumulate saves this season. It isn't likely that Oakland wants him back at market value or would tender him a qualifying offer.

I don't think Beane is sold on JJ being able to get the job done so he decided to spread them around since he would run into issues if he let one of his arms under team control accumulate them.

As for flipping him...don't a lot of trade deadline closer become set up men at their new homes?

Of course, Oakland also signed Doolittle to a long term extension so he can also accrue saves without financial implications.

2-run lead tonight - Johnson pitches a clean 9th for the save.

Regained his closer's role?

Tough to say, as it was the second game of a double header and all the other candidates pitched in the first game. That said, I don't buy that the A's will go closer by committee, I expect Johnson will lead the team in saves.

Why would that help?

Mix things up a bit just for the sake of seeing if a change did anything? A month into the season and seeing him hit in the low .200's it was worth a try before looking for a replacement.

Mix things up a bit just for the sake of seeing if a change did anything? A month into the season and seeing him hit in the low .200's it was worth a try before looking for a replacement.

I think it is a LOT more likely that a veteran player just started performing then a manager "mixing up" the lineup caused it.

I think it is a LOT more likely that a veteran player just started performing then a manager "mixing up" the lineup caused it.

I think it is even more likely that it is simply statistical noise from a 20 at-bat sample. One home run and seven singles on fourteen balls put in play.