Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

Weren't you one of the vocal posters that wanted Norris as our closer?

Chen has always scared me but had been brilliant the past 2 seasons. He deserves a longer leash.

Gonzo, like Norris, gets no respect as usual.

To RZNJ's point, your not concerned about Jimenz or perhaps a hurt Tillman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I said Steve Johnson actually.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Johnson walks off the field to boos ... again.</p>— Jane Lee (@JaneMLB) <a href="

">May 29, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sean Doolittle comes to Johnson's defense:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/30/sean-doolittle-comes-to-jim-johnsons-defense-regarding-boos/

“We spent all offseason telling the new guys about how great our fans were,” Doolittle said. “And from game one — game one — he got booed off the field. We’re sitting in the dugout looking around. I can’t remember that happening since I’ve been here. We went through some rough patches last year when we were pretty bad, but I don’t remember the boo birds coming out like that.”
Asked if the boos are affecting him on the mound, Johnson paused before responding: “What am I supposed to do?”

Loewen had a whole 11 starts above A ball before getting promoted. The dumb decisions this organization used to make. Matos basically got promoted from Frederick as did Jeff Fiorentino.

What are you talking about? He wouldn't sign unless he got a MLB contract. Adam backed himself into that corner.

Loewen had a whole 11 starts above A ball before getting promoted. The dumb decisions this organization used to make. Matos basically got promoted from Frederick as did Jeff Fiorentino.

In 2006 the O's were 70-92 and had a team ERA of 5.35. This was a team that gave 18 starts to pitchers with ERAs of 6.90 or higher. Loewen had a 2.77 ERA in AA, then blew away AAA hitters in three starts. What organization would have kept him in the minors all year given all that?

Screech's callup was completely inexplicable, and I don't even remember the circumstances around Mato.

Perhaps but there wasn't much in his career to that point, which would make one think that. Uneven results in the minors. Poor results in the majors. IMO, he was overhyped on draft status. His stuff was never that of a top prospect. He never threw mid 90's in the Orioles system. Barely, low 90's. He had a natural cutter but he didn't know how he did it. Some would cut. Some would be straight. He had a good curve. My memory of Loewen is when Balking Bob Davidson didn't like something Loewen said or his reaction to a ball call and started screaming at him from behind home plate. It looked unprovoked. Was it Trembley who finally came out to tell him to stop? Loewen lost it right away against the Angels after that.

Also, I remember Loewen pitching in maybe the first World Baseball Classic for Canada. His results were good but he couldn't break 90. Scott McGregor reworked his mechanics in the minors and he looked like a very big version of Scott McGregor but without the command.

I actually saw Loewen in his first invite to Spring Training. They put him in at the end of a game to face some minor leaguers and he faced 4 batters and didn't get an out. Didn't throw hard, had no idea where it was going. Just remember shaking my head trying to figure out he could be a #1 bonus baby draft pick.

Josh Hader had another excellent start at high A.

7.2 IP

4 Hits

1 BB

9 K

1 ER

ERA for the year 2.44

BAA for the year .185

19 BB's 66 K's in 55.1 Innings

and now the Astros get to add to the Bud Norris Hall with the 35th selection in the draft.

In the outing before this he was part of a no hitter and make the Milb prospect of the week report:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/pipeline-prospects-of-the-week-joey-gallo-josh-hader?ymd=20140519&content_id=76012818&vkey=news_mlb

Josh Hader had another excellent start at high A.

7.2 IP

4 Hits

1 BB

9 K

1 ER

ERA for the year 2.44

BAA for the year .185

19 BB's 66 K's in 55.1 Innings

and now the Astros get to add to the Bud Norris Hall with the 35th selection in the draft.

Hoes has can't their MLB roster. You can get players like him every year and around the same age as 6 year minor league FA's.

I like Hader alot. But even with what he's putting up it's still only High A. We've seen what has happened to so many pitching prospects in the past. I'd say he at most has a 20% chance to out produce the 2.5 years of Norris in his 6 with the Stros.

Norris has been way better in the AL East than I thought he would be. So I was wrong and I will never argue that the trade wasn't a good gamble.

I really like Hader because he was such a long shot (high draft pick), and I like to root for the under dog.