Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

Are you saying that getting on base a lot isn't a desirable end? I'd say Eddie Yost had a pretty fine career despite being a one-tool player, with that one tool being getting on base via the walk. Really, the single most important skill for a position player is not making outs.

Sure. Getting on base is great. It would be good if you scored too. But not making an out does a great thing for the club. You just need someone else to make it all happen. And when you get paid a lot, sometimes they expect you to be that make it happen guy too.

Sure. Getting on base is great. It would be good if you scored too. But not making an out does a great thing for the club. You just need someone else to make it all happen. And when you get paid a lot, sometimes they expect you to be that make it happen guy too.

That and Nick essentially replaced Heyward who was popular.

Sure, both fans and management would like a guy with 100 walks and 50 homers, instead of 100 walks and eight.

Are you saying that getting on base a lot isn't a desirable end? I'd say Eddie Yost had a pretty fine career despite being a one-tool player, with that one tool being getting on base via the walk. Really, the single most important skill for a position player is not making outs.

I'm a big OBP guy. I think it best correlates to offensive production. But Nick had so many other things working against him at the plate, that he just isn't very productive. He has no power, and can't move around the bases. So it doesn't matter how high his OBP gets (within reason), he isn't going to correlate to a very good offensive player. Look at him right now: .390 OBP, .2 oWAR. If you just focused on the OBP, which I think some people have been trained to do, you'd get out your checkbook to pay for that.

I'm a big OBP guy. I think it best correlates to offensive production. But Nick had so many other things working against him at the plate' date=' that he just isn't very productive. He has no power, and can't move around the bases. So it doesn't matter how high his OBP gets (within reason), he isn't going to correlate to a very good offensive player. Look at him right now: .390 OBP, .2 oWAR. If you just focused on the OBP, which I think some people have been trained to do, you'd get out your checkbook to pay for that.[/quote']

Nobody (or almost nobody) thinks that a player who does everything poorly except get on base at a decent clip is a great player. I think the point is that a higher OBP is always better than a lower OBP, and that getting on base can make an otherwise unremarkable set of skills quite valuable. If Nick continues to have a .040 ISO and mediocre defense and baserunning his .350ish OBP isn't going to lead to a productive overall package. Just as someone who slugs .450 but can't field and has a .280 OBP isn't very valuable. Or someone who is a good defensive player but OPSes .550. Getting on base is the most important thing, but it can't overcome deficiencies in everything else.

• Upvote 1

I was just coming on here to post the same thing...

This guy has never been overly impressive, but he's sure taken a beating from fans over the course of his career.

Remember when he was booed on Opening Day at Camden Yards after being announced on the orange carpet?

o

Happy birthday, Kam Mickolio.

I actually got his autograph at Durham Bulls Stadium in North Carolina in 2008.

Mickolio and Tike Redman were the only Tides players that stopped and signed my scorecard after the game, as I stood there with my arms extended.

o

Kevin Gregg has finally been given his walking papers by the Reds.

I've gotten fired a lot of times in my lifetime ...... you can tell. :o

But I have never gotten a pink slip.

And, I have never gotten any walking papers.

You know what I get ??? Some guys comes into my office and says, "Get the **** outta here !!!"

George Carlin, 1996