Rays comment re: Alt Training Site. T/NT?

HowAboutThat

This is a comment made about possibly bringing up a Rays prospect catcher for next season. Is this comment true and if so, does that accelerate some of our guys?

“....needs development work in the minors...has not played at AA yet

Posted  by pgmitchell  on Oct 18, 2020 | 10:38 AM

He spent all season at the alternate site
Everything I’ve seen rookies say this year is that it helped them develop faster, if anything, since they’ve been getting 15 ABs of live batting practice against mostly major league pitching every day. And Hernandez has been catching half of those pitches. I think he’ll be just fine.

Posted  by Brickhaus  on Oct 18, 2020 | 3:04 PM

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

This is a comment made about possibly bringing up a Rays prospect catcher for next season. Is this comment true and if so, does that accelerate some of our guys?

“....needs development work in the minors...has not played at AA yet

Posted  by pgmitchell  on Oct 18, 2020 | 10:38 AM

He spent all season at the alternate site
Everything I’ve seen rookies say this year is that it helped them develop faster, if anything, since they’ve been getting 15 ABs of live batting practice against mostly major league pitching every day. And Hernandez has been catching half of those pitches. I think he’ll be just fine.

Posted  by Brickhaus  on Oct 18, 2020 | 3:04 PM

Matt Blood didn’t think it accelerated things, more like it kept players from falling behind.   But I’m sure it depends a bit what level the player was at before attending the camp.   Here’s Blood speaking about Rutschman:

“He got good work in at home, he was able to find ways to get some live experience there, and then he went to Bowie and got exposed to really good pitching for two months. And then he comes here and continues that progression,” Blood said.

“Is it a full year of development? Probably not. But is it compared to most? I would say he got an above-average development experience. A well above-average development experience compared to most this year. So I’ve been pretty happy with the progress we’ve seen out of him.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/10/draft-selections-impressing-in-fall-instructional-camp.html