2020/21 Offseason Transactions

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Right, so there is no reason not to put him on the 40.

I understand that, my question was about why do so at all? Yes, he can be added and removed again, and he won’t be claimed, but the question remains. Why add him in the first place? Mancini, I understand. Martin, not so much.

Just now, Philip said:

I understand that, my question was about why do so at all? Yes, he can be added and removed again, and he won’t be claimed, but the question remains. Why add him in the first place? Mancini, I understand. Martin, not so much.

Why not?   He has to come off the IL. The longterm (60 day normally, 45 day this year) IL is just an extension of the 40 man roster that allows you to hide guys who are out for the year.   It goes away.   The normal move is to put someone back on the 40 when it does.   The only reason not to do that is if the 40 is full and you would have to displace someone else.   That's not the case.  It's free, it's a paper move.   I don't understand what your problem with it is.

57 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Why not?   He has to come off the IL. The longterm (60 day normally, 45 day this year) IL is just an extension of the 40 man roster that allows you to hide guys who are out for the year.   It goes away.   The normal move is to put someone back on the 40 when it does.   The only reason not to do that is if the 40 is full and you would have to displace someone else.   That's not the case.  It's free, it's a paper move.   I don't understand what your problem with it is.

I don’t have a problem with it, I just wanted to know why. You say it’s just an extension of the 40 man, OK, great. Well if you anticipate needing the spot, there’s no need to put on the 40 man. If you anticipate him being valuable enough that he would keep his spot under most reasonable circumstances, regardless of who you get, then put him on it. That’s all I’m saying I’m just asking the question.

What stimulated the original question was comments that indicated there was a sense of urgency, that said, “he must be put on the 40 man by this date…” But there is no urgency, and that’s why I asked. I understand your clarification, and I am grateful for it, but there is neither urgency nor need to put him on.

53 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t have a problem with it, I just wanted to know why. You say it’s just an extension of the 40 man, OK, great. Well if you anticipate needing the spot, there’s no need to put on the 40 man. If you anticipate him being valuable enough that he would keep his spot under most reasonable circumstances, regardless of who you get, then put him on it. That’s all I’m saying I’m just asking the question.

What stimulated the original question was comments that indicated there was a sense of urgency, that said, “he must be put on the 40 man by this date…” But there is no urgency, and that’s why I asked. I understand your clarification, and I am grateful for it, but there is neither urgency nor need to put him on.

The 45 day IL goes away Sunday, that is the connection with the date.

October 30:

Baltimore Orioles claimed 2B Yolmer Sanchez off waivers from Chicago White Sox.

My initial take: 

If he's cheap enough it improves the defense at 2B and I guess he could also become the utility guy with his ability to play 3B. Still, I'm not sure I get this move overall. He's not part of the future and he's not really much if any of an upgrade over what they have on the roster now. 

Basically, this is move that doesn't really move the needle in any direction besides potentially improving 2B defense.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

October 30:

Baltimore Orioles claimed 2B Yolmer Sanchez off waivers from Chicago White Sox.

My initial take: 

If he's cheap enough it improves the defense at 2B and I guess he could also become the utility guy with his ability to play 3B. Still, I'm not sure I get this move overall. He's not part of the future and he's not really much if any of an upgrade over what they have on the roster now. 

Basically, this is move that doesn't really move the needle in any direction besides potentially improving 2B defense.

At best, a potential mid season trade if he does well, at worst, he has a shorter Orioles MLB career than Jose Rondon?

Became Minor League free agents: Cristian Alvarado, Danny Barnes, Malquin Canelo, Martin Cervenka, Brian Gonzalez, Tyler Herb, David Hess, Francisco Jimenez, Ty Moore, Luis Ortiz, Brady Rodgers, Jose Rondon, Dwight Smith, Richard Urena, Jesmuel Valentin, Andrew Velazquez

Analysis: No big losses here if they don't resign, but the Orioles will probably be interested in resigning the following guys on minor league deals:

Cristian Alvarado: Was coming off a good year in Bowie in 2019 where his stuff took a step forward in a relief role.
Brian Gonzalez: He reportedly threw the ball well in the Alternate camp so could have earned another look

Andrew Velazquez Can't hit, but did show some versatility defensively and didn't make an error in 171 innings at SS.

The rest could be some minor league depth resignings, but I don't see the Orioles having interest in Barnes, Canelo, Herb, Hess, Moore, Rodgers or Dwight Smith Jr. at all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Became Minor League free agents: Cristian Alvarado, Danny Barnes, Malquin Canelo, Martin Cervenka, Brian Gonzalez, Tyler Herb, David Hess, Francisco Jimenez, Ty Moore, Luis Ortiz, Brady Rodgers, Jose Rondon, Dwight Smith, Richard Urena, Jesmuel Valentin, Andrew Velazquez

Analysis: No big losses here if they don't resign, but the Orioles will probably be interested in resigning the following guys on minor league deals:

Cristian Alvarado: Was coming off a good year in Bowie in 2019 where his stuff took a step forward in a relief role.
Brian Gonzalez: He reportedly threw the ball well in the Alternate camp so could have earned another look

Andrew Velazquez Can't hit, but did show some versatility defensively and didn't make an error in 171 innings at SS.

The rest could be some minor league depth resignings, but I don't see the Orioles having interest in Barnes, Canelo, Herb, Hess, Moore, Rodgers or Dwight Smith Jr. at all. 

And yet we keep resigning Ryan Ripken every offseason.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bobmc said:

He's becoming the "Iron Man" of our MiLB system.  A feel-good story (like Mike Yaz) and hoping for that cup o' Joe!

Not so sure it's a feel good story when a 27-year old first baseman with a career .242/.281/.331/.612 line over 1465 minor league PAs gets resigned. Besides having that last name, can anyone else come up with a reason why he keeps getting resigned?