Luis Hernandez

clapdiddy

Hernandez will never hit but he can field and he is a much better fielder than Fahey IMO.

That being said, what is up with all the Tejada hatred in the field?

The stats, this year, say he has actually been above average.

He has had some moments this year where he was very lackadasical and seemingly didn't care but i bet if Fahey or Hernandez played there for 162 games, they would have those moments too.

Tejada has terrible range for a SS, period. I don't care what any measurement stat like RF says, anyone watching with human eyes can see that Tejada does not get to balls the avg SS does.

But...when Tejada gets to balls he's a very good fielder which is why he should be made a 3rd baseman immediately. His arm is outstanding too which will make him an above avg 3bagger.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...as the author of this thread, I'd like to say that I in no way endorsed the idea of keeping Hernandez as the full-time SS over Miggy.

My obvservance about him was purely aesthetic. I was comparing his "presence" to Brandon Fahey's. At the plate, he appears to have more of a clue on how to attack the baseball. Fahey's swings appear to be those of the old Grandma swinging a broom at Sylvester in the old Tweety bird cartoons. In the field, he appears to have more confidence and better range than Fahey.

He "looks" like a ball-player who feels comfortable, where Fahey appears to me to be overmatched.

Tejada has terrible range for a SS, period. I don't care what any measurement stat like RF says, anyone watching with human eyes can see that Tejada does not get to balls the avg SS does.

But...when Tejada gets to balls he's a very good fielder which is why he should be made a 3rd baseman immediately. His arm is outstanding too which will make him an above avg 3bagger.

Tejada has below average range to his left, but he's one of the best in the league at going to his right. Since he'd have to go to his left more than his right at 3B I'm not so sure why everyone thinks he'd do well there...

As has already been said, his range to his left is below average, but his range to his right is above average. Add to that his powerful arm which allows him to not only get to, but to throw out runners on balls that other SS watch roll through the hole, and he ends up being right around average if not a little bit above.

You can't criticize him for his deficiencies and ignore the things he does better than most.

Tejada has below average range to his left, but he's one of the best in the league at going to his right...

Yep. Or, he just shades to the hole a little more than most SS's because his arm allows him to make throws from deep in the hole that other shortstops wouldn't attempt even if they got to the ball.

Tejada has below average range to his left, but he's one of the best in the league at going to his right. Since he'd have to go to his left more than his right at 3B I'm not so sure why everyone thinks he'd do well there...

I think he'd be fine at 3B. Less ground to cover...and going to his right wouldn't be as far to travel!

Does that include Hank Aaron and Jackie Robinson or is that an "ism" you would would be willing to exclude for the record

Are you trying to compare the social and financial situations of today, in reference to a guy who was just called a whiffle ball hitter, to what they went through at that time?

And in the interest of this thread, we're not going to go any farther then that right there.

And I'm looking forward to Tejada coming back and playing short everyday.

Then again, I don't get O's games on TV so I don't have to watch him play the position :P

A large reason for the greater range is his arm (and his positioning towards th hole). Its not like he moves much better to his right and gets to balls that others can't (yet paradoxically they can get to balls to the left that he can't). Its that most shortstops can get to a lot of those balls, yet not as many can make the required throws, and Miggy can.

The nice thing about 3b is its less about covering a wide range (other than bunts) than it is about reactions, picking tough shorthops and a strong arm.

A large reason for the greater range is his arm (and his positioning towards th hole). Its not like he moves much better to his right and gets to balls that others can't (yet paradoxically they can get to balls to the left that he can't). Its that most shortstops can get to a lot of those balls, yet not as many can make the required throws, and Miggy can.

I agree whole-heartedly with this observation. There are many balls that are hit up the middle where he is no where in the vicinity. I know some of that is due to positioning, but sometimes you don't even see him in the picture on grounders that are 8 to 10 feet to the left of 2nd base.

Are you trying to compare the social and financial situations of today, in reference to a guy who was just called a whiffle ball hitter, to what they went through at that time?

And in the interest of this thread, we're not going to go any farther then that right there.

And I'm looking forward to Tejada coming back and playing short everyday.

Then again, I don't get O's games on TV so I don't have to watch him play the position :P

No! No more flippin' streaks! I'm looking forward to Tejada coming back, receiving proper rest (one day per week at DH or off), and showing improved defense and power for the rest of the season.

But I'm cranky that way...:rolleyes:

No! No more flippin' streaks! I'm looking forward to Tejada coming back, receiving proper rest (one day per week at DH or off), and showing improved defense and power for the rest of the season.

But I'm cranky that way...:rolleyes:

Why does he need one day a week off? Roberts and Markakis don't take a day a week off. He should rest as needed. He clearly doesn't need as much rest as guys like Mora. Unless his habits change as he gets older, he's a guy who can play every day without needing a day off. i'd give him an occasional day at DH or even a day off, but once a week is absurd. Maybe once a month. He's definitely a guy that can and should be playing 155+ games a year.

I agree. It is perfectly logical. If you are a weak-armed SS, why position yourelf to get to balls in an area where you couldn't make the throw even if you reached it? You may as well play more up the middle and get to more balls there where you can throw it. Conversely, if you have a stronger arm, it makes sense to shade a little more towards the hole since you can make the throws from there, but it will cost you getting to some balls up the middle.

Now, it could be argued that Miggy should forget about those balls in the hole and shade more up the middle because he is missing out on more balls there than he is saving in the hole. But his ZR and UZR numbers don't appear to support that conclusion. So even if it offends your aesthetics when Miggy fails to reach a ball that is to the SS side of 2B, overall he is making as many plays in his zone as most shortstops.

Archived