ALL TEAMS TOP 30 PLAYERS NOT PROTECTED FOR THE RULE 5

Roll Tide

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

My vote is SS/2B Omar Estevez #21 prospect from the LAD. The Dodgers paid $6 million for him, plus a $6 million penalty as a Cuban defector a few years ago. Similar to how they spent for Yusniel Diaz. In a way we can double down on their spent money. 

I mentioned him somewhere...Was solid at AA at age 21. He’s a better gamble than keeping a guy like Sanchez IMO

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=esteve000oma

50 minutes ago, weams said:

If you want infielders, I do think it’s a pretty good Rule 5 class for infielders,” Cooper said during a Zoom interview yesterday. “And a lot of different types of infielders. To me, Kyle Holder is a guy - first-round pick of the Yankees four years ago out of college - he’s a really good glove. There are questions about the bat. If you say could he do a passable job of playing major league defense? Absolutely. Can he hit enough to where he is not just a complete zero at the plate? I think that’s possible, too. So he is one that stands out to me.”

n Double-A Trenton in 2019 over 112 games, he batted .265/.336/.405 with 25 doubles, three triples, nine homers and 40 RBIs. He made one Baseball America top 30 prospects list and was New York’s No. 27 prospect in 2016.

Estevez or Ibanez

Ibanez, 27, has 231 career starts at second base and 156 at third. In Triple-A in 2019, he hit .300/.375/.497 in 121 games. Texas signed him out of Cuba for $1.6 million and he was the youngest Cuban player on the 2013 World Baseball Classic team. Baseball America rated him as high as the Rangers’ No. 5 prospect in 2017.

Estevez is also from Cuba and was signed for $6 million by the Dodgers in 2015. He is currently rated as the Dodgers’ No. 18 prospect by Baseball America and No. 21 by MLBPipeline.com. In 2019 at Double-A, he batted .291/.352/.431in 83 games. He’s made 240 career starts at short with 183 at second base.

How many will be selected

Cooper believes there is a decent chance there are fewer Rule 5 players taken in the major league phase this year than in 2019, when 11 were selected. Of course, there were no minor league games to watch this season.

If so ... My guess is a guy like Pop is pretty safe this year.

“Zach Pop is a guy, the injuries sometimes are a selling point for guys to get drafted. Anthony Santander had a shoulder injury and he was picked as an example of this. If you have a legitimate injury - not a made-up injury and teams have been punished for that - you can spend time on the IL recovering from that. You can even be sent to the minors to have a rehab assignment. You have to stay on the active MLB roster for 90 days. So if you spend half the season on the IL and the other half on the active roster, you’ve fulfilled that. A guy like Pop who has had an injury, maybe that makes him even more appealing to pick.”

Weird Year!

“This year, we have guys that were supposed to go to high-A or Double-A in 2020 and they spent the year at home instead. Are there teams out there that are willing to take them and stash them on the their roster all year? Maybe. Do we even know what the makeup of the MLB active roster will be? No, we don’t. So there are a lot of unknowns there. It does make for a crazy, unpredictable Rule 5 draft.”

Cooper has also been providing outstanding coverage of the minor league situation and which teams will make the final list of 120 full-season teams. He believes there could be resolution on that this week.

• Upvote 1

Jose Alberto Rivera, RHP, Astros

Another pitcher who has never played above High-A in the minor leagues, Rivera has a huge arm with a potential plus changeup down the line. And players with big velocity and at least one strong secondary pitch can find a lot of success in the back of a MLB bullpen.

Rivera has actually been connected to the Orioles, specifically, according to CBS Sports. For a team still looking for talent wherever they can find it, they could do a whole lot worse than a player from Elias' former organization, one that is known for their ability to develop talented but flawed pitching prospects.

https://sports.yahoo.com/8-potential-orioles-targets-know-224808487.html

• Upvote 1

I personally think we should draft Estevez first if he’s still on the board

Omar Estevez, INF Dodgers

Estevez is the Dodgers' 21st-ranked prospect according to MLB Pipeline, which is more impressive than it sounds once you consider Los Angeles regularly has the deepest farm system in baseball. He's still just 22, which is younger than most prospects here, and looks like a future Major League hitter.

Infielders aren't typically available in abundance in the Rule 5 Draft, so despite the question marks surrounding his defensive home, Estevez is an appealing bat for teams this year.

Worried about Pop being selected ?

Marshall Kasowski, RHP Dodgers

Kasowski has terrific swing-and-miss stuff (177 strikeouts in 107.2 minor league innings) but also lacks command (5.5 BB/9). Whether or not he fulfills his promise as a potential bullpen ace will largely depend on his ability to harness better control of his pitches, in addition to recovering from offseason elbow surgery. 

He's proven an ability to make comebacks before, though. His story is an inspirational one, overcoming a life-threatening accident in collegein which he was hit by a car going over 100 mph.

• Upvote 2

2020 Rule 5 Draft targets

The Rule 5 Draft often comes down to a particular club's evaluation of a player being higher than everyone else's, along with some elements of a heavy MLB need contributing. In an unprecedented offseason, it's impossible to predict who may be taken in the Rule 5 Draft. Four unprotected players who stand out include Kevin Maitan (infield | Angels) and Lazaro Armenteros (outfield | Athletics), who were two of the most-hyped international prospects of the last decade, former fourth-overall pick Riley Pint (right-handed pitcher | Rockies) and former 22nd-overall pick Will Craig (first base | Pirates).

Here's a list of players ranked in MLB Pipeline's Top 30 for each club that are unprotected heading into the 2020 Rule 5 Draft:

Sporting News prospective on the rule 5.....Good Read!

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-rule-5-draft-2020-time-order-eligibility-players/1o0z7o08lg0up1n25rjitpj8un

To me Lazaro Armenteros 21 is an interesting player and had 17 home runs in A ball but 229 strike outs.  Kevin Maitan Is 20 and has 0 chance of being selected as he would be a liability even on a bad team., Riley Pint is a guy that an organization would have to fix him....15.2 BBS per 9 innings. 

Will Craig is a decent grab at 25 if you need a 1B.....761 OPS in the minors. Will probably hit 20-25 but looks like a .230-.260 average hitter. .750-.780 doesn’t get me excited to take a 1B even if I needed one.

I think there are much better options!