SS Kyle Holder best Rule 5 fit

wildcard

If he is still  there at #5.

According to JJ Cooper.    Great glove.  Some bat.   1st rounder by the Yankees in 2015.   Will be 27 in May.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=holder000kyl

Holder, 26, was taken No. 30 overall in 2015 by the Yankees out of the University of San Diego. In Double-A Trenton in 2019 over 112 games, he batted .265/.336/.405 with 25 doubles, three triples, nine homers and 40 RBIs. He made one Baseball America top 30 prospects list and was New York’s No. 27 prospect in 2016.

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/12/where-could-os-look-in-the-rule-5-checking-in-with-baseball-americas-jj-cooper.html

• Upvote 1

I prefer this guy!!!!!

Estevez is also from Cuba and was signed for $6 million by the Dodgers in 2015. He is currently rated as the Dodgers’ No. 18 prospect by Baseball America and No. 21 by MLBPipeline.com. In 2019 at Double-A, he batted .291/.352/.431in 83 games. He’s made 240 career starts at short with 183 at second base.

But, I dont think either would be a bad pick! If you could get both they could cut one of the AAAA infielders already on the roster and we have plenty

• Upvote 2

I would prefer Estevez as he seems to be the higher upside guy. I think with Holder you expect good defense and hope the bat can be passable. I think Estevez (maybe not in 2021, but overall) will be a better bat. That said, it would make sense if the Orioles grabbed Holder. and threw him in the 2020 Andrew Velazquez role with the hopes of at least a bit more offense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

A top 20 prospect in the Dodgers system is like a top 12ish prospect in many systems.

In the Mewleski interview they are speculating less than the 11 that were selected at the major league portion. If that is the case we might have the opportunity to take both, I still think it makes more sense than giving a spot to Sanchez, Urias, or continuing to carry guys like Rio Ruiz

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

You have Hurt Richie Martin’s feelings… “But, but, I thought we had a good thing going!”

I'm happy we have Martin and certainly he's in camp but he cant be counted on and I wouldn't let it stop me from swiping a guy that I thought might be better.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

A top 20 prospect in the Dodgers system is like a top 12ish prospect in many systems.

Which means, when combined with the fact that he's available in the Rule V draft, that the Dodgers likely don't view him as highly as MLB Pipeline.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I'm happy we have Martin and certainly he's in camp but he cant be counted on and I wouldn't let it stop me from swiping a guy that I thought might be better.

You’re so fickle...

“ making’ love in the afternoon, to Cecilia, up in my bedroom.

I get up to wash my face, when I get back to bed, someone’s taken my place.”

?

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Which means, when combined with the fact that he's available in the Rule V draft, that the Dodgers likely don't view him as highly as MLB Pipeline.

They gave him 6 million as international signing and also paid a 5 million dollar penalty so that tells me the view him highly but they have loaded roster and can’t protect everyone especially a guy that may still be two years away.

21 minutes ago, Philip said:

You’re so fickle...

“ making’ love in the afternoon, to Cecilia, up in my bedroom.

I get up to wash my face, when I get back to bed, someone’s taken my place.”

?

Not really! I’m not a Martin fan but we didn’t pay anything in talent to get him. If he becomes something great. But, since we are not trying to win I’m for swiping as much talent as possible....trade Santander, draft Estevez, Holder, and play them. Stop wasting resources on never will be guys like Sanchez.

5. Rule 5 Draft

Let’s round out these five with the Rule 5 Draft. Yes, Elias confirmed the Orioles are expected to make at least one selection in Thursday’s Rule 5 Draft, which they’ve done every year since 2006. The O’s own the No. 5 pick this year and have two open 40-man roster spots. They made two selections at last year’s Meetings, ultimately returning Brandon Bailey and Michael Rucker during Spring Training.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-elias-on-orioles-winter-meetings-plans

2 hours ago, bpilktree said:

They gave him 6 million as international signing and also paid a 5 million dollar penalty so that tells me the view him highly but they have loaded roster and can’t protect everyone especially a guy that may still be two years away.

Really? It tells me that they over paid him and, rather than make roster decisions based on sunk costs, they’re treating him based on merit. They reassessed his value. MLB Pipeline may be slower in doing so.