Frederick Dropped

weams

On 12/10/2020 at 6:08 PM, Roll Tide said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/four-factors-dominate-list-of-119-minor-league-teams/

Forgive me for beating a dead horse but this article from BA (Pay wall)  explains attempts to explain some of this. 

The article attempts to explain why one minor league team might have gotten an invitation, whereas another team did not.

There were four different metrics that went into the decision making process:

1) the caliber of stadium and PD facilities

2) the team geography

3) the desires of the MLB teams involved

4) other political considerations

Sometimes those metrics conflicted with each other. So, for that reason, you might find some aberrations, some teams that were extended invitations, but do not check all of the boxes.

In case of conflicts that could not otherwise be resolved, often it was the desires of the MLB teams involved that had the most impact.

So my point is and my question was that MLB created the criteria and gave that to the clubs. The clubs had some say and may have had a large say in who was dropped  if more than one club was in play based on the criteria but it was not solely an O's decision and it was not made in a vacuum. All MLB clubs worked within the criteria provided by MLB. The city of Frederick's inability or unwillingness to improve the player development facilities at the park doomed them as an affiliate. 

Frankly I am a little surprised that the Nationals went with Wilmington over Frederick. I wonder if that was their choice or MLB's.

Frederick outdraws Wilmington every year, although both are typically near the top of the Carolina League, neither city "deserves" to lose their affiliate.

I would think having Wilmington as the Phillies low-A affiliate would make more sense, but their low A team plays at their minor league affiliate in Clearwater. Clearwater is far and away the attendance leader in the Florida State League (they have more than double the attendance of 9 of the other 11 teams), but I would think the Phillies would prefer all their teams to be close.

7 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/four-factors-dominate-list-of-119-minor-league-teams/

Forgive me for beating a dead horse but this article from BA (Pay wall)  explains attempts to explain some of this. 

The article attempts to explain why one minor league team might have gotten an invitation, whereas another team did not.

There were four different metrics that went into the decision making process:

1) the caliber of stadium and PD facilities

2) the team geography

3) the desires of the MLB teams involved

4) other political considerations

Sometimes those metrics conflicted with each other. So, for that reason, you might find some aberrations, some teams that were extended invitations, but do not check all of the boxes.

In case of conflicts that could not otherwise be resolved, often it was the desires of the MLB teams involved that had the most impact.

So my point is and my question was that MLB created the criteria and gave that to the clubs. The clubs had some say and may have had a large say in who was dropped  if more than one club was in play based on the criteria but it was not solely an O's decision and it was not made in a vacuum. All MLB clubs worked within the criteria provided by MLB. The city of Frederick's inability or unwillingness to improve the player development facilities at the park doomed them as an affiliate. 

I saw the park being used as a reason ....not sure where. It’s looks like a nice park on the drive by....but I can’t say I’ve ever been. You’d think the Nationals would want to get their hands on Bowie

After lol, their affiliates are in Fresno, Auburn, Hagerstown, and Harrisburg. Honestly Harrisburg would be better for the Orioles or Phillies IMO.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Frankly I am a little surprised that the Nationals went with Wilmington over Frederick. I wonder if that was their choice or MLB's.

Frederick outdraws Wilmington every year, although both are typically near the top of the Carolina League, neither city "deserves" to lose their affiliate.

I would think having Wilmington as the Phillies low-A affiliate would make more sense, but their low A team plays at their minor league affiliate in Clearwater. Clearwater is far and away the attendance leader in the Florida State League (they have more than double the attendance of 9 of the other 11 teams), but I would think the Phillies would prefer all their teams to be close.

The impression I got was that MLB didn't want a lot of movement among the affiliates. They wanted it to be clean and see what happens next year. I am also curious to see if MLB subsidizes or guarantees a certain income for teams in the draft league. It appears to me that they are going to be steering players away from the Cape to a league they control.  I am also wondering if there is some discussion about moving the draft back until after the draft league ends in August? 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I saw the park being used as a reason ....not sure where. It’s looks like a nice park on the drive by....but I can’t say I’ve ever been. You’d think the Nationals would want to get their hands on Bowie

After lol, their affiliates are in Fresno, Auburn, Hagerstown, and Harrisburg. Honestly Harrisburg would be better for the Orioles or Phillies IMO.

It is a nice stadium for fans to see a game. The surface is not great and the PD facilities are barebones IMHO.