Chris Davis: I’ll be at Spring Training and I’m not going anywhere

Legend_Of_Joey

7 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I chuckle a little at all of the hand-wringing going on in this thread. Frobby made the point that none of us can put ourselves in CD's shoes, and that's the long and short of it. He can and should tell everyone else to go pound sand. He's living up to his end of a contract that he signed (in a literal, bare-minimum sense). And those saying that they'd take an 80% buyout should remember that even 20% of a sh*t ton of money is still a sh*t ton of money.

Saddle up, boys. Two more years of complaining lie ahead.

I don't see hand-wringing going on, but rather we are discussing more ridiculous statements from Davis about thinking he's an everyday player and how he's going to be here. We all agree he'[s entitled to the money because he and the Orioles signed the contract, just some of us actually would do the right thing and retire. 

Now some don't believe those of us that said we would, but it's not like he doesn't have more money than he or his children's children will ever be able to spend. At the end of the day, all he's done has destroyed any semblance of a positive legacy in order to cash checks he doesn't "deserve". 

In my mind, the only reason the team hasn't released him is because they could save some of the money if there is more COVID issues or a player's strike/lockout. Since the team is not competing, and Elias made that very clear of late, then they just keep him around, put him on the Ubaldo stepped in a pothole IL, and move on.

He's made his decision and he'll always be known as the worse contract ever handed out by the Orioles and possibly will go down as the least productive player ever over his last 1000 or so PAs in the major leagues. If that's worth his big pay checks to him, it's his absolute right to cash those checks and lay in his bed covered in money while laughing at all of us who have lost any kind of respect for the guy.

So let me be clear, Davis absolutely has every right to cash those checks based on a decision by an old man who was taken advantage of by Scott Boros. Anyone ever notice that Peter Angelos was rarely seen or heard from after that contract and the sons basically took control (even before it was announced)? 

This is part of the problem of today's sports landscape and why I think we're going to see a major change in how contracts are handed out and how rosters are put together especially with people cutting the cord and those big cable pay days may be slimming down.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I've always thought he was a good guy who could not be blamed for being offered a bad contract. I have to say, I am at the point where I would join the boo birds if we had people in the stands. Just agree to a buyout where the team gets a discount and you don't have to spend 80+ days a year on the road away from your family. As it is, there are no winners here. It all stinks. 

We don't know that the team would agree to one.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Two years?  Folks will be bringing up the deferred salary for the next decade.

Why only the next decade?   He’s got money coming through the year 2037!

But to remind everyone, a discounted portion of the deferred comp is put into an escrow account 18 months after completion of the season for which deferred compensation  is due.    That’s already been going on since 2018, and the escrow will be complete after July 2024.    So, even though Davis will get payments through 2037, after 2024 the O’s won’t be dipping into funds that they could otherwise spend on other players, unless the discounted escrow doesn’t grow at the anticipated rate, in which case the O’s would need to throw in a little more to top it off.   

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why only the next decade?   He’s got money coming through the year 2037!

But to remind everyone, a discounted portion of the deferred comp is put into an escrow account 18 months after completion of the season for which deferred compensation  is due.    That’s already been going on since 2018, and the escrow will be complete after July 2024.    So, even though Davis will get payments through 2037, after 2024 the O’s won’t be dipping into funds that they could otherwise spend on other players, unless the discounted escrow doesn’t grow at the anticipated rate, in which case the O’s would need to throw in a little more to top it off.   

I figured that once the team moves to Nashville folks will stop worrying about Davis.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've stated before that I would be more than happy to give 20% or so back if they would release me and I didn't have to show up for the last three years.

In my eyes that's a great deal.  Still get more money that you should ever need and can retire in your early 30's.  I'd much prefer that over actually having to show up and deal with all that travel.

I think his reasoning for being open and honest now is that he hopes the Orioles DO release him and pay him the rest of his contract to literally do nothing.  I mean, he's "tried" to get better the past 3-4 years with no success...might as well just sit at home and get paid.  

I agree with someone above...I would not give back the money either.  But I think his plan is to piss the Orioles off enough that they release him and he still gets paid.

Chris Davis’ comment that ownership “knew what they were getting themselves into” is wrong bc he has operated at below replacement level for most of his contract. That is certainly NOT what everyone had in mind when they paid him all that money.  It would be different if he has any sort of success in the early years of his contract.  But Davis has not held up his end of the bargain at all.

At this point, I think several things can be true at once:

1) Davis has the right to earn every penny owed to him.

2) The organization has the right to pressure him to retire given that he’s been the worst active MLB player for a few years now, and

3) Os fans who buy tickets to the 2021-2022 games have the right to boo Davis at every at bat.

• Upvote 1

I can’t believe he had the nuts to question the direction of the rebuild.  Chris just sit at the end of the bench, be quiet and cash your checks.  Don’t worry about the rebuild, just worry about yourself..... lord knows there is plenty there to keep you busy.  If anything his presence on the team is hampering the rebuild.  He is Roger Dorn from Major League except Dorn finally got it at the end.

Chris has made some pretty interesting comments regarding his situation for years.  There is a different tone to these and it may well be that he is looking to increase pressure on the O's to do something.  As long as there is potential to either miss games for Covid or strike...he aint going anywhere.   So in that regard, I think he is absolutely right.  And knowing that over the next two seasons that there is possible relief, even if that possibility is remote, would require malpractice to cut him.  

I do not think a strike is likely at all, but what I am watching for is Boras chirping the O's need to fix this.  IF that happens, my first thought will be that a strike is more likely.  

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Through 2037 to be exact. ?

Chris Davis contract: How much do Orioles owe struggling first baseman?

How much money is being deferred?

Davis will receive annual deferred payments of $3.5 million from 2023-32 and annual payments of $1.4 million from 2033-37. 

If we win the World Series in 2037 does he get a ring?

• Haha 1

Mike Bordick Slams Chris Davis’ Work Habits, Says His Rebound Is ‘Never Going To Happen’

In an interview with 105.7 The Fan’s Vinnie And Haynie Show, MASN broadcaster and Orioles Hall of Famer Mike Bordick pushed back on Davis’ comments saying that there is a “track record” when it comes to Davis’ work habits. Bordick believes he hasn’t done enough work to keep up with the game as he has aged.

“There were a couple of head-scratching comments by Chris Davis. I think the thing that got me was the fact that he said when he came back for the second spring training, he just didn’t feel the same as he did in the first spring. And, I think unfortunately, there is a track record with Chris Davis’ work habits,” said Bordick.

Davis did post a solid spring training before COVID cut the season short, and fans hoped it meant good things once things restarted. But Bordick says Davis was back to his old ways when the team began exhibition games again in the summer.

“I think a lot of us want to see Chris Davis come out of this at some point. It’s never going to happen because of his work habits,” said Bordick. “He proved that after he left spring training because when he came back he wasn’t the same. He didn’t have the same explosive bat speed. He didn’t even have the same mental attitude. He thought he could repeat that without the repetition of the work. Unfortunately, it doesn’t happen in baseball. Period. I don’t care what age you are, but as you age in this game, you actually have to work harder, not less. Yeah, experience helps, but you still have to physically be able to move and catch up with a 95 mph fastball and those days I think are gone.”

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/12/10/chris-davis-mike-bordick-orioles-comments/

• Thanks 1