Chris Davis: I’ll be at Spring Training and I’m not going anywhere

Legend_Of_Joey

I wish Chris well, I hope the Orioles make the best decision and are willing to spend an extra $580K or whatever the minimum salary is this coming season to fill his spot on the roster with someone who is actually a Major League caliber player. Maybe he comes back and hits .300 in spring training but I am not holding my breath.

I would be surprised if he spends much time on the active roster but it doesn't make sense to release him now when the season could be shortened and his salary could be paid pro-rata.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

I wish Chris well, I hope the Orioles make the best decision and are willing to spend an extra $580K or whatever the minimum salary is this coming season to fill his spot on the roster with someone who is actually a Major League caliber player. Maybe he comes back and hits .300 in spring training but I am not holding my breath.

I would be surprised if he spends much time on the active roster but it doesn't make sense to release him now when the season could be shortened and his salary could be paid pro-rata.

And a potential lockout/strike in 2022.

6 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

While spewing hate to Chris, which one of you would give back one red cent if the situation were reversed.  I know I would not.  He made a legal deal and a deal takes two or more to make it legal and valid.  I believe he has tried to do his best,  but it is obvious his hand eye coordination left him at an earlier age than most players.  He did not know that would happen and the Orioles did not know it either.  Also,  each  party did not know  that the LEGAL substance he was taking  would suddenly be banned.  I have my own thoughts as to why it was banned after his  super seasons, but  it is kicking a dead horse to harp on it till the cows come home.

I have no issue that he wants to play and get his money it’s all the nonsense he says. He did an interview a year or two ago and talked about being a player who gives good at bats- works counts- something along those lines. It was comical. A little bit of humility and honesty would go a long way. 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've stated before that I would be more than happy to give 20% or so back if they would release me and I didn't have to show up for the last three years.

You’ll be happy to know that there are only two years left on his contract.    

Nobody here knows what they would do in Davis’ situation, because nobody’s been in a situation even remotely similar.    The numbers are mind boggling.   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Maybe they will wait until right before the season starts and move on. Maybe.  

They aren’t spending any money on talent but are spending a ton to waste a roster spot. I do not know of anyone who wants him on the team.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’ll be happy to know that there are only two years left on his contract.    

Nobody here knows what they would do in Davis’ situation, because nobody’s been in a situation even remotely similar.    The numbers are mind boggling.   

I know, when I stated it before it was three years.  ?

I feel pretty confident that I'd take an 80% buyout and be on my way.

I wouldn't just walk away from it, they'd have to pay me.

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Nah, C_o_c is right, with the potential for a lockout/strike shortening the 2022 season, they aren't going to guarantee his full 2022 salary by cutting him in 2021.

I’m reasonably optimistic that a lockout/strike will be avoided.    I think the economic fallout from this year (and maybe next year) will put some extra pressure on both sides to get a deal done.    Of course, it could have the opposite effect with the two sides fighting over a potentially smaller pie.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m reasonably optimistic that a lockout/strike will be avoided.    I think the economic fallout from this year (and maybe next year) will put some extra pressure on both sides to get a deal done.    Of course, it could have the opposite effect with the two sides fighting over a potentially smaller pie.   

What I think is going to happen is that ownership will try and leverage this into a more advantageous deal for themselves.  I also think that if they play a partial season at pro-rated salary that players will be pretty agitated from the start and will be less willing to compromise. 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What I think is going to happen is that ownership will try and leverage this into a more advantageous deal for themselves.  I also think that if they play a partial season at pro-rated salary that players will be pretty agitated from the start and will be less willing to compromise. 

It could happen that way.   

By the way, I’m not sure that the pro-rated salary agreement carries over to 2021 if games are missed.   The owners and players agreed to that last season before anyone realized that a large chunk of the season would be missed.    Then the owners tried to cut a deal where the players would get less than their prorated salaries in exchange for starting the season sooner.    The players wouldn’t do that, so they ended up playing only 60 at the prorated salaries.   But if that arrangement was only binding for 2020, I won’t be surprised to see the owners take another run at this.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It could happen that way.   

By the way, I’m not sure that the pro-rated salary agreement carries over to 2021 if games are missed.   The owners and players agreed to that last season before anyone realized that a large chunk of the season would be missed.    Then the owners tried to cut a deal where the players would get less than their prorated salaries in exchange for starting the season sooner.    The players wouldn’t do that, so they ended up playing only 60 at the prorated salaries.   But if that arrangement was only binding for 2020, I won’t be surprised to see the owners take another run at this.   

Basically I don't trust the owners to act in good faith.

I think they have a real opportunity to work out a deal for 2021 and the next CBA at the same time and instead they are going to flub it.

• Upvote 1