Chris Davis: I’ll be at Spring Training and I’m not going anywhere

Legend_Of_Joey

9 hours ago, sevastras said:

Only commenting on the doing the right thing and retiring because having enough money. 
Not a chance in the world I would retire and lose out on the rest of that money. On average, 20% goes to the agent, 25%+ goes to taxes after that, and for the rest of his life his earnings are whatever he can invest in. No one is going to give him a dime for advertising, book deals, signings, poor bastard(being funny on this part) is going to have to use a pseudonym to even by a house or pizza business for the rest of his life. 

That is certainly your right to do that. I would do it differently.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

That is certainly your right to do that. I would do it differently.

Me too! and if I was the employer I'd make it as painful as possible for him to stay.

****** Chris, You are never going to get a single at bat ever again for the Orioles. However, you are going to be expected to show up in shape, go through spring training, walk through all the steps, be in uniform for the game, and be a positive influence on the younger players.

We'd give you permission to seek a trade with any team including the Chunichi Dragons! If you get a taker please let us know!

***** Option B, Retire with whatever small amount of pride that you still have. You signed the contract and delivered nothing!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, sevastras said:

I’m sad that he is the worst player on a team that is currently competing for a top draft pick and gets paid like a top of the rotation starter on a team competing for a WS. Maybe the team should have asked around the clubhouse before they signed him for a contract that Nelson Cruz would have figured out a way to make respectable. I don’t blame him a second for the contract, I blame the team for not cutting him two years ago and hoping he brakes a hip for insurance money. He and his wife still do good things for Baltimore, blame ownership for him taking up roster space when he should be working at a car dealership. 

Should he be cut? Sure.  Would he be working at a car dealership after making 102 million to date, and have earned 178 million after 2037? Doubt it.

9 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

Should he be cut? Sure.  Would he be working at a car dealership after making 102 million to date, and have earned 178 million after 2037? Doubt it.

The point is that he no longer has the skills to be a productive baseball player. I don't care what he does after he retires! Baseball contracts are stupid.

10 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

Further the Orioles are hoping

1) He will retire

2) He will fail another drug test or some other issue that allows them to void his remaining contract

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Me too! and if I was the employer I'd make it as painful as possible for him to stay.

****** Chris, You are never going to get a single at bat ever again for the Orioles. However, you are going to be expected to show up in shape, go through spring training, walk through all the steps, be in uniform for the game, and be a positive influence on the younger players.

We'd give you permission to seek a trade with any team including the Chunichi Dragons! If you get a taker please let us know!

***** Option B, Retire with whatever small amount of pride that you still have. You signed the contract and delivered nothing!

First day of 2021 spring training for Chris Davis if I was running the Orioles.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, eddie83 said:

They are going to need a plan to compensate these guys better early on. That has to be done.  

My proposal would be earlier arbitration in exchange for an additional year of service. Or a fixed age for free agency to start so there isn’t manipulation of service time. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Anything strictly age related is going to hurt college players coming out of the draft. 

I don’t think so. Those who choose to go to school to elevate their draft position will get their money upfront while those who go straight out of high school are gambling that they are actually good enough or remain healthy to cash in later. Obviously the premise needs ironing out of details, but if everyone hits free agency at say 25, 26, then the stars will cash in at a prime age and the guys like Yaz will get a shot earlier. Then the Batista’s will realize earlier that they aren’t good enough and start using PEDs earlier so the drafting club will actually get something out of them( don’t down vote me, there is plenty of people out there who questioned a kid going from a non prospect to a 27 something finally blossoming to a 30+ hr guy)

You would see guys who are blocked and/or the clubs just don’t have the flexibility to really see what the player is at the MLB level yet traded and moved around more. Mountcastle would have been up 2.5 years ago. Rutschman would have saw time this year. Stars would be up sooner(like the old days) and guys would get opportunities to prove themselves or traded to clubs who could give them a chance(Yes I know about the rule 4 draft but they wouldn’t be 45 by then)

Just throwing ideas out there. 

I haven't seen anyone mention CD's bizarre comment about the rebuild that he made...

"I wonder where that rebuild is headed. Are we talking a complete rebuild?"  It was longer than this is the article I read - but I can't locate now...

The guy is a mess.  I understand the club not wanting to just flush money down the toilet, but if he's saying things like he's quoted as saying behind the scenes, "...they knew what they were going in for when they signed the contract..." to team mates and/or coaches or whoever who might be extending themselves in good will to rehabilitate him, he's exactly that negative influence I was fearful of infecting a young team.  Shameless.  It's not just a Showtime show!

If he comes back and has not worked at it.  He deserves to be trotted out there in the most ridiculous situations as each game dictates.  Mop up duties on the mound.  Catch for the mop up pitcher.

Bordick had to have gotten the green light to throw some shade on this disaster.

• Upvote 1

The Sun article...

“I don’t want it to end the way that things have gone the last few years for me. I think there’s more of a story to be told but as far as my contract is concerned, it is what it is. I’m not going anywhere. I’m not giving up. I’m not throwing in the towel. I understand the club is in a position right now to where they’re trying to cut payroll, and I’m the one big lump that they’re kind of stuck with. But they knew what they were signing up for when they took the job.”

Now, he’s spending every winter trying to figure out a way to be productive again, and doing so in a rebuild that he’s found himself questioning.

“It’s tough to really know what to make of it right now,” Davis said. “I think there’s no doubt that we’re in a rebuilding phase and I just personally, I kind of wonder where that rebuild is headed. Are we talking a complete rebuild? Are we talking we’re going to try to start things over from scratch and only have younger players, players that this new regime has drafted, that they’ve brought in? I think that they’re trying to get the most out of the guys that we have now, and I think that means you’ve got to lose some of the guys that have been productive for you.”

What a maroon! smh  Time to flush...

Hope that Chris Davis's contract will be remembered by O's fans. Perhaps, at least for a time, we will think twice and then thrice about the Davis episode when another fan favorite wants a big mult-year contract. No hope such reservations will be long-term.

33 minutes ago, George said:

Hope that Chris Davis's contract will be remembered by O's fans. Perhaps, at least for a time, we will think twice and then thrice about the Davis episode when another fan favorite wants a big mult-year contract. No hope such reservations will be long-term.

There is nothing wrong with a long term deal.  The problem is who and when you give them.

On 12/11/2020 at 8:59 PM, sevastras said:

My proposal would be earlier arbitration in exchange for an additional year of service. Or a fixed age for free agency to start so there isn’t manipulation of service time. 

The problem with Davis is that none of this really had anything to do with him. Listening to Bordick and Palmer who appear to be in the know Davis cashed in and got lazy. That and seriously decreased reaction time played a part.

With the vaccine progress, I expect this to be over by April in regards to disruption IMO.

So ... I'd go to Davis and request a resolution. I'd explain that he isn't going to play anymore period. If he's not interested in a buyout arrangement then he will be expected to prepare as if he's going to play, show up for all meetings, not be a detriment to the young guys, and all the travel etc.

I'd also bring him up to speed on the rebuild and highlight the fact that it doesn't include him.

********** Note to Chris Davis  " They knew what they were getting into in regards to my contract" ********************** No Chris Peter Angelos expected production for the contract he gave you. He even negotiated against himself to treat you right. In return you got lazy and have given the team no return on that investment. You've been so bad the it might well be the worst contract ROI in baseball history.

If they had know what they were going to get you can be assured that you wouldn't be an Oriole!

• Upvote 1