MLB Season likely delayed again so players can get vaccinated before reporting

Roll Tide

Lord Shen: How... how did you... how did you do it?
Po: I don't know. Elbows up; keep your shoulders loose...
Lord Shen: Not that. How did you find peace? I took away your NUNEZ. Everything. I scarred you for life.
Po: See, that's the thing, Shen. Scars heal.
Lord Shen: No, they don't, wounds heal.
Po: Oh yeah? What do scars do? They fade, I guess?
Lord Shen: I don't care what scars do.
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, accinfo said:

One thing is healthly young baseball players shouldn't be able to get vaccinated before everyday normal people have the vaccines available.  That seems to me not likely to happen before late March or April at the earliest.  

Really?

I mean I get the idea of it but really?

How many total doses are we talking about?

It's not even a speck of a blip in the overall population.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Really?

Agree.  As long as front line workers and high risk people have first dibs, which they will, this should be a non issue come the Spring.  

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Really?

No, but there are priorities.

Ahead of MLB players, IMO:

1) All the elderly folks that want it

2) All the health care workers and people that work closely with sick and elderly

3) People who aren't "elderly" but fit into risk categories (immune compromised, asthma, a wide variety of diseases/conditions, including diabetes, obesity, etc)  [A small number of MLB players, and a higher # of coaches/managers will fit into this category]

4) When those people have had the opportunity to get it, THEN you start breaking people down by profession:

-- people who deal with the public such as police, fire, public transportation, etc

-- people who work in the food preparation such as meat processing plants

-- people who work in retail/groceries/etc with frequent contact with the public

At THIS point, then I think the "healthy, young, general public" can start lining up.

I don't think ballplayers as a group should get anything until all of folks in 1-4 above have had the opportunity first, which is basically the point where the general public is able to get it ift hey want.    When it reaches the point that everyone with one of the above reasons/categories that wants it has been able to get it, THEN sure let ballplayers get it, but even then I don't think they should get a preference over John Doe who works in an office.   I'm sure money talks and baseball is a multi-billion dollar industry so once the preference categories are satisfied, MLB players will be among the first to get it.   But if you are suggesting they get it ahead of anyone listed above in 1-4, I definitely take issue with that.

Just now, SteveA said:

No, but there are priorities.

Ahead of MLB players, IMO:

1) All the elderly folks that want it

2) All the health care workers and people that work closely with sick and elderly

3) People who aren't "elderly" but fit into risk categories (immune compromised, asthma, a wide variety of diseases/conditions, including diabetes, obesity, etc)  [A small number of MLB players, and a higher # of coaches/managers will fit into this category]

4) When those people have had the opportunity to get it, THEN you start breaking people down by profession:

-- people who deal with the public such as police, fire, public transportation, etc

-- people who work in the food preparation such as meat processing plants

-- people who work in retail/groceries/etc with frequent contact with the public

At THIS point, then I think the "healthy, young, general public" can start lining up.

I don't think ballplayers as a group should get anything until all of folks in 1-4 above have had the opportunity first, which is basically the point where the general public is able to get it ift hey want.    When it reaches the point that everyone with one of the above reasons/categories that wants it has been able to get it, THEN sure let ballplayers get it, but even then I don't think they should get a preference over John Doe who works in an office.   I'm sure money talks and baseball is a multi-billion dollar industry so once the preference categories are satisfied, MLB players will be among the first to get it.   But if you are suggesting they get it ahead of anyone listed above in 1-4, I definitely take issue with that.

There is close to zero chance that folks that work in retail or meat processing facilities are going to get access to the vaccine before the general public.  Maybe first responders but not your bagger at Publix.

MLB could jump ahead of everyone in your fourth group and not impact a single life.  All the ML coaches and players don't even amount to 4,000 doses of a vaccine.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There is close to zero chance that folks that work in retail or meat processing facilities are going to get access to the vaccine before the general public.  Maybe first responders but not your bagger at Publix.

MLB could jump ahead of everyone in your fourth group and not impact a single life.  All the ML coaches and players don't even amount to 4,000 doses of a vaccine.

This was from September and may be somewhat out of date with current planning, but the concept is obvious.  Certainly MLB would fall in Group 4 here:

Phases-768x495.jpg