How the vaccine effects the baseball season(updated on 1/3)

wildcard

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I talked with my aunt who lives in Israel the other day.    They’ve already vaccinated 10% of their population.   My aunt and uncle are in their 80’s and had priority.   They just drove to a soccer stadium on the edge of town, pulled up to one of multiple booths in the parking lot, got their shots, waited fifteen minutes to ensure no adverse reaction, and left.   Boom, over and done.    

There are 9M people in Israel.  10% would be 900,000 people.

This seemed like the obvious decision. Minor League games without fans are pretty pointless and costs the team more than playing Spring Training games. The question is whether the minor league season runs through September and the season is shifted back a month or whether the schedule is shortened and the minor league season ends on Labor Day weekend as usual.

I wonder how this affects the plan to start Adley Rutschman at AA. I would assume that he will at the very least, join MLB Spring Training, not sure whether it makes much of a difference in development playing Spring Training games vs. minor league games.

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

That fits into what we know the MLB's overarching goal when it comes to the minors.

What is that goal?  To invent a time machine to undo the deep regret they have over trading short term financial gains in 1930 for both having to care for and feed the minors for the better part of the next century, and crushing grassroots professional baseball forever?

On 1/5/2021 at 7:35 PM, MurphDogg said:

This seemed like the obvious decision. Minor League games without fans are pretty pointless and costs the team more than playing Spring Training games. The question is whether the minor league season runs through September and the season is shifted back a month or whether the schedule is shortened and the minor league season ends on Labor Day weekend as usual.

I wonder how this affects the plan to start Adley Rutschman at AA. I would assume that he will at the very least, join MLB Spring Training, not sure whether it makes much of a difference in development playing Spring Training games vs. minor league games.

The season would end in October and they wouldn’t have any playoffs this season, from what I read. 

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The season would end in October and they wouldn’t have any playoffs this season, from what I read. 

Would love a link for that if you have one. That would make the most sense. That is tough for the players, especially the ones with no real MLB hopes, but minor league playoffs aren't exactly a money maker. I went to some Bowie playoff games in 2019 and was amazed how empty the stadium was, compared to a regular season game. Definitely better for all the teams to play as close to 120 games as possible.

4 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Would love a link for that if you have one. That would make the most sense. That is tough for the players, especially the ones with no real MLB hopes, but minor league playoffs aren't exactly a money maker. I went to some Bowie playoff games in 2019 and was amazed how empty the stadium was, compared to a regular season game. Definitely better for all the teams to play as close to 120 games as possible.

“Additionally, the memo told minor league teams to expect their schedules to run until as late as Oct. 3, a full month after regular season games normally end in early September. It is also expected there will be no minor league playoffs in 2021. With a delayed start, those playoff dates will be exchanged for more dates for all teams.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baseballamerica.com/stories/start-of-minor-league-season-at-double-a-and-class-a-to-be-delayed/%3famphtml

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I agree. I went to a Frederick playoff game in 2018 and it was probably the greatest game ever. Back and forth, every pitch mattered and the Keys had a very dramatic come from behind, walk off victory on a close play at the plate in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs.

There were probably 200 people there to see the start of the game and about 50 at the end.