Cobb to Angels

Yardball85

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It sounds like once Jones is fully ready to go that he will be an above average bat at 2nd base with the possibility of average defense. 

I also like the praise for his “on field make up”. 

I’m not as optimistic as that.   I think his upside is what you describe.   But he’s far from a sure thing to be an above average bat.  If things work out, he could become one.   That’s as far as I’d go.    

Cobb was complimentary of the O’s on his way out the door.   

“I’ll say that the Orioles have a great foundation laid there. They have tremendous staff, they have a tremendous front office, they have everything from the coaching staff to the clubbies to you name it. Anybody that they have working over there are just good people, and the biggest thing I’ll miss is those relationships.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/02/alex-cobb-on-trade-i-was-pretty-surprised-by-it.html

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Cobb was complimentary of the O’s on his way out the door.   

“I’ll say that the Orioles have a great foundation laid there. They have tremendous staff, they have a tremendous front office, they have everything from the coaching staff to the clubbies to you name it. Anybody that they have working over there are just good people, and the biggest thing I’ll miss is those relationships.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/02/alex-cobb-on-trade-i-was-pretty-surprised-by-it.html

His leadership will be missed.  

Didn't read the MASN story, but one on The Athletic today, probably pretty similar (and everyone is probably aware of the pay wall).  Cobb didn't blame the O's at all, mostly pointed to his injuries for his lack of performance and wished he contributed more.  I was very excited for the Cobb signing, it is a shame about the way it went.  I hope he and the Angels have a great year.  I'll be rooting for them and the Padres on the other side. 

https://theathletic.com/2366093/2021/02/04/qa-with-alex-cobb-leaving-orioles-joining-angels-and-unfulfilled-expectations/?source=dailyemail

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, beervendor said:

More importantly, how does one pronounce "Jahmai?" (My guess - like JAH Rule and MAI-tai)

For that matter, how about Kjerstad? Yusniel?

KERR-stad

yoo-SNEE-el (though I imagine we will hear a fair amount of American announcers pronounce it YOO-snee-el)

• Upvote 1

A few more words from Cobb:

“There is no question they’re heading in the right direction, their foundation of what they’ve built over there, what they’ve brought in, who Mike (Elias) has brought in,” Cobb said yesterday during our phone conversation.

“Not only the technological advances that they’ve done, the way that they’ve been able to communicate those to the players, pitchers in particular, is just going to accelerate this rebuild that they have going. And from a fan standpoint I can totally understand we always want things faster, but I think they’re going to surprise a lot of people with just how quickly that time actually comes.

“They’re not just building for one or two years of success, they’re building for sustained success over a long period of time. And the goal on their end is to not have to do this again, not have to do a complete teardown and rebuild. So they’re doing things the right way and it is going to take time, but it’s going to happen quicker than probably expected, and they’re absolutely in the right direction.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/02/learning-more-about-start-of-spring-training-and-season.html

May he be right on all counts!

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

A few more words from Cobb:

“There is no question they’re heading in the right direction, their foundation of what they’ve built over there, what they’ve brought in, who Mike (Elias) has brought in,” Cobb said yesterday during our phone conversation.

“Not only the technological advances that they’ve done, the way that they’ve been able to communicate those to the players, pitchers in particular, is just going to accelerate this rebuild that they have going. And from a fan standpoint I can totally understand we always want things faster, but I think they’re going to surprise a lot of people with just how quickly that time actually comes.

“They’re not just building for one or two years of success, they’re building for sustained success over a long period of time. And the goal on their end is to not have to do this again, not have to do a complete teardown and rebuild. So they’re doing things the right way and it is going to take time, but it’s going to happen quicker than probably expected, and they’re absolutely in the right direction.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/02/learning-more-about-start-of-spring-training-and-season.html

May he be right on all counts!

He's maneuvering for a 1 year / 1 mill deal next year... :D