2021 MLB Mock Draft

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some might say ego.

Sure. Depends on your point of view. He seems to me to be genuine and fairly transparent about his process. I find him sincere. Some may feel differently. He is no Mike Rizzo, or Jim Bowden. Let’s see if his way works, then we can see if the ego grows to match. 

2 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Yes to all you wrote there. That is why the Ford under slot makes some sense, really. A very talented kid, strong and fast. Seems a lot like a young Austin Martin, except he can play catcher. A similar tool profile. A very interesting situation. It should really tell us more about the sophistication of Elias’ process. Some of the more popular publication picks are safe, and maybe a little lazy. When you take an undervalued kid and hang it all out there with the faith that you can coach that young fella up to be a star, at a lower cost. Man, that is conviction. We’ll see. 

Agree on all points. There is so much we will never know. Elias has a chance to find out so much detail about a kid's work ethic, habits, etc that the public won't know. 

I think Elias showed a heckuva lot of conviction with the Kjerstad pick. I don't think that will be an issue. And just to be clear, I have no criticism of the Kjerstad pick at all. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Just wondering on Leiter... Is there any speculation that he might skip the minors?  

I haven't seen any speculation like that. I think that's limited to a standout closer these days if at all. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he goes to Boston and Boston is in the playoff chase...

I'd do it.

Then option him to the minors in 2022 and have him work on starting.

That makes sense. I think the primary thought is taking care of his arm but that could be done the way you describe it using him as a reliever that first year. 

I never thought he would go back out in the 8th last night but he did. He's a competitor. 

11 hours ago, 7Mo said:

That makes sense. I think the primary thought is taking care of his arm but that could be done the way you describe it using him as a reliever that first year. 

I never thought he would go back out in the 8th last night but he did. He's a competitor. 

123 pitches, 15 K's to 1 Walk.  Still got the l-0 loss.  

6 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Heck of a game to watch. Did you watch Will Bednar chew up texas?

No, but I see he also had 15 K's to 1 W -  in 6 innings.  Do you think he might slide to the 2nd round to the O's?  His brother looks like a keeper for Pittsburg.  

8 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

No, but I see he also had 15 K's to 1 W -  in 6 innings.  Do you think he might slide to the 2nd round to the O's?  His brother looks like a keeper for Pittsburg.  

Seems possible. Hope so.

Here is my take, fwiw:

If Lawlar is available at 5, I would take him assuming his ask is close enough.  I would be hard pressed to not pick him if available and is second on my board after Mayer.  If Lawlar isnt available or is asking way too much to make things work then I would go Jackson Jobe.  If somehow Mayer, Lawlar and Jobe are all gone at 5, I may go Chase Petty for underslot.  Second round I am looking for James Wood, Lonnie White(overslot), Anthony Solometo or maybe someone that slipped through the first round like Benny Montgomery.

I know some here really want a Lieter or Rocker pick, but I just dont like the miles that have been put on those arms when you have a Jobe or Petty that may not be quite as polished but have just as much upside if not more.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Here is my take, fwiw:

If Lawlar is available at 5, I would take him assuming his ask is close enough.  I would be hard pressed to not pick him if available and is second on my board after Mayer.  If Lawlar isnt available or is asking way too much to make things work then I would go Jackson Jobe.  If somehow Mayer, Lawlar and Jobe are all gone at 5, I may go Chase Petty for underslot.  Second round I am looking for James Wood, Lonnie White(overslot), Tyree Reed, Anthony Solometo or maybe someone that slipped through the first round like Benny Montgomery.

I agree entirely about Lawlar. I think if he's there at 5 you just have to find a way to make it work. 

3 hours ago, sevastras said:

Here is my take, fwiw:

If Lawlar is available at 5, I would take him assuming his ask is close enough.  I would be hard pressed to not pick him if available and is second on my board after Mayer.  If Lawlar isnt available or is asking way too much to make things work then I would go Jackson Jobe.  If somehow Mayer, Lawlar and Jobe are all gone at 5, I may go Chase Petty for underslot.  Second round I am looking for James Wood, Lonnie White(overslot), Anthony Solometo or maybe someone that slipped through the first round like Benny Montgomery.

I know some here really want a Lieter or Rocker pick, but I just dont like the miles that have been put on those arms when you have a Jobe or Petty that may not be quite as polished but have just as much upside if not more.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Gunnar Hoglund slips all the way to the O's 2nd round pick - because of the TJ surgery.  Corner the market on Gunnars.  Gavin Williams of East Carolina is another college pitcher that seems like an interesting 2nd round possibility.  He had a big game against Vandy this month but lost to Rocker.      

Gotta figure that Lieter's going top 3 - with a good chance of going 1st, so he's not a realistic option for the O's.  I'd still be fine with Rocker, but if the O's like someone else there, I'll trust their judgment - as long as they're not going underslot for someone they don't consider the BPA.  

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Speaking of which, I wonder if Gunnar Hoglund slips all the way to the O's 2nd round pick - because of the TJ surgery.  Corner the market on Gunnars.  Gavin Williams of East Carolina is another college pitcher that seems like an interesting 2nd round possibility.  He had a big game against Vandy this month but lost to Rocker.      

Gotta figure that Lieter's going top 3 - with a good chance of going 1st, so he's not a realistic option for the O's.  I'd still be fine with Rocker, but if the O's like someone else there, I'll trust their judgment - as long as they're not going underslot for someone they don't consider the BPA.  

I think you are drastically underestimating how rare the name Gunnar is these days.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=baseball+refence+gunnar

New mock out this morning from Keith Law at the Athletic. This has us taking Cowser over Kahlil Watson, Kumar Rocker, and Brady House.  

https://theathletic.com/2669873/2021/06/24/2021-mlb-mock-draft-2-0-jack-leiter-to-tigers-pirates-take-a-high-school-shortstop-in-keith-laws-latest-look/

5. Baltimore Orioles: Colton Cowser, OF, Sam Houston State

Everyone expects Baltimore to take a position player here and go well under slot so they can go over slot with later picks, as they select again at 41, 65 and 76. They’ve been linked to Harry Ford and Brady House, but it doesn’t seem like either is all that likely to accept a big discount, while Cowser’s market after this probably doesn’t start till pick 9.