2021 MLB Mock Draft

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Bednar is probably a back end of round 1 guy. McGreevy is more projectable, but I know nothing of the intangibles on him. I would be very surprised if they go pitcher at 1-5 unless it is Leiter. Even that would be mildly curious to me.

I think it will be Watson or House, assuming Mayer, Lawlar, Jobe and Leiter are the first four picks. House might go to the Tigers, but I would be shocked if Elias goes with Jobe. Watson seems to be the guy. My only concern is the talk he ends up at 2B, or maybe CF. I do like the quick powerful hands and wrists, with a 55-60 arm. 

Cowser is much more interesting than I had realized. I think he’ll hit, run and defend in CF at a plus level. The knock is only average power, but the bat to ball skills are not apparently in doubt. If Cowser played at an SEC school, he would be a top 5-7 pick. Maybe they think he can add more strength and power with maturity. Harry Ford is a bit of a wildcard still. I have seen where he is described as a winner, a grinder, with great speed. 

I think it's Cowser unless Lawlar or Watson falls. Might be Cowser anyway. I agree that a pitcher at 1-5 is not likely at all.

It's interesting that a few mocks talk about Rocker being limited to only a few teams in the top 9-10. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Bednar is probably a back end of round 1 guy. McGreevy is more projectable, but I know nothing of the intangibles on him. I would be very surprised if they go pitcher at 1-5 unless it is Leiter. Even that would be mildly curious to me.

I think it will be Watson or House, assuming Mayer, Lawlar, Jobe and Leiter are the first four picks. House might go to the Tigers, but I would be shocked if Elias goes with Jobe. Watson seems to be the guy. My only concern is the talk he ends up at 2B, or maybe CF. I do like the quick powerful hands and wrists, with a 55-60 arm. 

Cowser is much more interesting than I had realized. I think he’ll hit, run and defend in CF at a plus level. The knock is only average power, but the bat to ball skills are not apparently in doubt. If Cowser played at an SEC school, he would be a top 5-7 pick. Maybe they think he can add more strength and power with maturity. Harry Ford is a bit of a wildcard still. I have seen where he is described as a winner, a grinder, with great speed. 

I really like Ford and think he’ll go in the top 10 whether we take him or not. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 6:38 PM, Jammer7 said:

Yes to all you wrote there. That is why the Ford under slot makes some sense, really. A very talented kid, strong and fast. Seems a lot like a young Austin Martin, except he can play catcher. A similar tool profile. A very interesting situation. It should really tell us more about the sophistication of Elias’ process. Some of the more popular publication picks are safe, and maybe a little lazy. When you take an undervalued kid and hang it all out there with the faith that you can coach that young fella up to be a star, at a lower cost. Man, that is conviction. We’ll see. 

Word is that after Watson, the team has Ford at sub-slot, Frelick at sub-slot, Davis, then (believe it or not) Rocker.

My personal feeling is thay the HS SS candidates all have limited power profiles, which means gambling on projectability. I would prefer Ford at just under slot. He has a very similar bat profile to Javy Baez, except stronger to opp and slightly less swing and miss.

The most likely scenario is Watson.

38 minutes ago, Getz said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-30-2021

In the lastest mock draft from Jonathan Mayo, he has us selecting Kahlil Watson. But the buzz about a underslot type of deal continues.

It’s interesting that they have us taking Watson over Lawlar. I like Watson a lot, but I would pounce on Lawlar if he fell to 5. 

9 minutes ago, osravensfan78 said:

It’s interesting that they have us taking Watson over Lawlar. I like Watson a lot, but I would pounce on Lawlar if he fell to 5. 

If this happens, wouldn't one have to assume it's all about the $$$?

4 minutes ago, osravensfan78 said:

Good point. I can definitely see Lawlar looking for overslot money if he’s taken at 5. This should be an interesting draft. 

And as a Vandy commit, he could actually choose college. I don't think he ultimately would, but college with him would be a bigger factor than it typically is. 

So, it looks like AZ is a strong "favorite" to get the 1st pick.  Is there talk that they're leaning toward Leiter or anyone else in particular?  Seems like we're likely going to get in the top 4, and that's a fine place to be.  After Texas and Pittsburg, what's a team that has a good chance of overtaking us with ineptitude?    

9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

So, it looks like AZ is a strong "favorite" to get the 1st pick.  Is there talk that they're leaning toward Leiter or anyone else in particular?  Seems like we're likely going to get in the top 4, and that's a fine place to be.  After Texas and Pittsburg, what's a team that has a good chance of overtaking us with ineptitude?    

Yankees have been coming on strong.

25 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

You're referring to the 2022 draft.  This thread is discussing who we might pick next month in the 2021 draft.

15 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

You're referring to the 2022 draft.  This thread is discussing who we might pick next month in the 2021 draft.

You're right - my mistake.  Sleep deprivation messes with my thought processes.  

On 6/30/2021 at 2:57 AM, Bludo said:

Word is that after Watson, the team has Ford at sub-slot, Frelick at sub-slot, Davis, then (believe it or not) Rocker.

My personal feeling is thay the HS SS candidates all have limited power profiles, which means gambling on projectability. I would prefer Ford at just under slot. He has a very similar bat profile to Javy Baez, except stronger to opp and slightly less swing and miss.

The most likely scenario is Watson.

I have read that in various sources today as well. House is rated at 70 power/70 arm/50 run, and he is likely an athletic 3B, or at least a corner OF. So, I wish they would stop calling him a SS, despite the fact that some scouts supposedly said he might’ve able to stick…I’m out on that. Look at his frame. I think he fits Elias’ power profile nicely. All depends if he thinks the swing and miss that plagued him earlier is a concern. 

Watson is not a SS either, not for me anyway. The hands are ok, but the actions and arms are not quite what I would like to see. In fairness, I have not seen any video from this HS season. So maybe he is better now. He is likely a 2B or CF, but 55 hit/55 power/65 run. I love the contact, barrels the ball with ease. Really great hands and wrists. It’s hard and loud contact all day. 

I just cannot believe they would have any interest in Rocker, but ok. And Frelick just doesn’t have enough tools to me. I think some of those names are smoke screens. Davis’ swing was much better this season, and he shortened up a once very high leg kick and a severe upper cut. I would be ok with him, but Watson and House make the most sense to me.

If they go under-slot, I hope it is Cowser. That guy can really hit. If he was in the SEC, he would be in the top 5 solidly. Ford is a dude, and I love what I have read. I have not seen a ton of video on him. At this point, I am going to probably wait to watch much unless we take him. There is some talk by Callis he might slide and be an over slot in round 2. I’m not sure about that, but ok. 

Nobody knows who the pick will be. I doubt that Mike Elias has made a decision just yet. The publications said they spoke with agents the past few days and that was what they are basing this on. I am torn about Watson and House, but those are my two favorites among the most likely scenarios. 

• Upvote 2