MLB, MLBPA agree to health protocols, 7-inning doubleheaders, runners on second in extras

connja

7 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

In a better world, given all the problems that baseball has appealing to fans -- slow pace of play/length of games, not enough balls in play, too many pitching changes, the competitive imbalance, the inability of lower-revenue and mid-revenue teams to retain top players, the transparency of bad ball/strike umpiring -- the owners and the union would be looking for ways to improve for its fans the game as it's played, not to make the games different.

I wonder if the "Reset" that Covid has forced on people will change outlooks / opinions here. 

People generally seem less "on the move" all the time. I see a lot more people sitting in the yard with their neighbors, going on walks, etc. Maybe people will rediscover love for a "pastime?"

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd be fine with runner on 2B starting in the 12th.  I don't think anyone wants to watch a 17 inning game.

The Chris Davis game was awesome, but I wasn't so much watching it all the way through as I was checking in on radio/TV/internet over the several weeks it took to play.

If I'm at the park and it goes into extras it's gotta be an epic situation for me to stay and then drive two hours home when it ends at 2am.

If it's like The Iowa Baseball Confederacy and the game is going to last 3000 innings through hurricanes and supernatural events and ancient Native American chiefs coming back from the dead to play in the 1700th inning, then I'm sticking around.

7 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I wonder if the "Reset" that Covid has forced on people will change outlooks / opinions here. 

People generally seem less "on the move" all the time. I see a lot more people sitting in the yard with their neighbors, going on walks, etc. Maybe people will rediscover love for a "pastime?"

When baseball was America's favorite sport games averaged two or two-and-a-half hours, and most people in the country had never watched a MLB game because TV wasn't a thing and traveling hours across a more rural country to see baseball was rare.  In 1920 the vast majority of baseball watching involved local minor league or amateur teams playing day games that wrapped up in a couple hours.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

When baseball was America's favorite sport games averaged two or two-and-a-half hours, and most people in the country had never watched a MLB game because TV wasn't a thing and traveling hours across a more rural country to see baseball was rare.  In 1920 the vast majority of baseball watching involved local minor league or amateur teams playing day games that wrapped up in a couple hours.

You're personal experience doesn't necessarily speak for everyone ;)

So with these rules (7 inning double-headers and starting extra innings with a runner on second base) will see the first perfect game loss from a pitcher?

Starting pitcher goes out to pitch the eighth inning in a 0-0 tie and he has been perfect through 7 (in a double-header game).  Opposing teams starts with a runner at second.  First batter grounds to second and the runner advances.  Second batter hits a sacrifice fly, and the runner scores.  Pitcher still has a perfect game in tact, but loses the game 1-0.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

So with these rules (7 inning double-headers and starting extra innings with a runner on second base) will see the first perfect game loss from a pitcher?

Starting pitcher goes out to pitch the eighth inning in a 0-0 tie and he has been perfect through 7 (in a double-header game).  Opposing teams starts with a runner at second.  First batter grounds to second and the runner advances.  Second batter hits a sacrifice fly, and the runner scores.  Pitcher still has a perfect game in tact, but loses the game 1-0.

Hope I see it.

On 2/9/2021 at 12:14 AM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Seven inning doubleheaders and player on second base in extra innings. Thanks, I hate it.

tenor.gif

I'm a diehard purist. I think electronic umpires are the DEBBIL'S work!

But I like both of those things. Especially the runner on 2nd. Made for an EXCITING extra innings.

Sucked to be the visiting team tho...

9 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The Chris Davis game was awesome, but I wasn't so much watching it all the way through as I was checking in on radio/TV/internet over the several weeks it took to play.

If I'm at the park and it goes into extras it's gotta be an epic situation for me to stay and then drive two hours home when it ends at 2am.

If it's like The Iowa Baseball Confederacy and the game is going to last 3000 innings through hurricanes and supernatural events and ancient Native American chiefs coming back from the dead to play in the 1700th inning, then I'm sticking around.

It was awesome for me but only because I got home from work at 11:30, and still got to watch 8 innings of baseball!

Or was that the Seattle game?