Update: Matt Harvey added to 40-man roster

MurphDogg

It’s looking like a 162 game season this year. Therefore I see Harvey, Hernandez, and Leblanc, all making the team. Elias isn’t going to rush prospects or have our young guys “eat innings”. I would not be surprised to see any of Akin, Kremer, and Zimmerman, spend time in the minors next year. Baumann, Lowther, and Wells, will all be in AAA for the year. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s looking like a 162 game season this year. Therefore I see Harvey, Hernandez, and Leblanc, all making the team. Elias isn’t going to rush prospects or have our young guys “eat innings”. I would not be surprised to see any of Akin, Kremer, and Zimmerman, spend time in the minors next year. Baumann, Lowther, and Wells, will all be in AAA for the year. 

I don't see this happening at all. Akin and Kremer are as ready as they are going to be and if they see the minors this year it will be because they were completed ineffective in the rotation. Baumann will debut this year and Lowther probably too. The missed year means they can't just sit on guys in the minors. 

This season can not be about "eating innings" and trying to go for first pick. This needs to be an evaluation year where guys like Akin, Kremer, and Zimmermann are evaluated at the major league level and where Baumann, Lowther, Wells and Smith could get opportunities if they pitch well enough at AAA.

Now LeBlanc, Hernandez or Harvey might be a guy they give a shot too if they an injury occurs or if Zimmermann struggles badly this spring, but if all three make this club it will be very disappointing from a fan standpoint and from a development standpoint.

• Upvote 1

Worth a shot I guess.

We'll probably get a competent season from one of LeBlanc, Hernandez, and Harvey. You can count on the Rule 5 guys not working out and one of Means, Akin, and Kremer getting hurt. The Norfolk guys (Zimmermann, Lowther, Baumann, Wells) will need to step up.

Finding 5 starters out of those 12 names is iffy, but it will be interesting to watch all the tryouts.

6 hours ago, SteveA said:

Am I right in remembering that Harvey has that "compartment syndrome"?  That injury has typically been a career ender.  Tyson Ross is another notable example.

It is no joke.  One of those things we just don't know much about and can really just sap all of your power.  I have a friend who has to watch how far he walks because if it pops up in his leg he is just done.