Fangraphs gives Os 0.0% of making playoffs

Sports Guy

I'm actually okay with Fangraph's prediction. I mean, if we were to make it to the World Series and win, that would be great, but I'm not holding my breath. For now, my expectation is that the O's will finish with one of the worst records in baseball and receive one of the first three picks in next year's draft. I don't think it does much good thinking we have a chance to make it to the WS (or win it), but if it happens, so be it. If Fangraphs gave us a 0.04% chance or a 3% chance, does that really change anything? Probably not. But, if the players are aware of this Fangraphs stat, they could post it all over the locker room and use it for motivation!

10 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

0.0% implies that they believe the Orioles true odds are no better than 0.04%, or one-in-2500.  Given that both 1989 and 2012 have happened in the last 35 years I think they're understating the probabilities here. 

Its a bit ridiculous considering their odds to win the WS are 80-to-one.  

https://www.vegasinsider.com/mlb/odds/futures/

Which actually puts the O's in only the second to last 'rung' which is shared by the Tigers, Mariners, Marlins and Giants, and actually better than the Royals, Pirates, D-backs and Rangers. 

There's no way they would stake a bet for 2500-to-one.  Bet $10 and win $25,000.  No bookie is going to take that on the off chance they actually have to pay out.

Edited by GuidoSarducci

6 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Its a bit ridiculous considering their odds to win the WS are 80-to-one.  

https://www.vegasinsider.com/mlb/odds/futures/

Which actually puts the O's in only the second to last 'rung' which is shared by the Tigers, Mariners, Marlins and Giants, and actually better than the Royals, Pirates, D-backs and Rangers. 

There's no way they would stake a bet for 2500-to-one.  Bet $10 and win $25,000.  No bookie is going to take that on the off chance they actually have to pay out.

And remember, this is just "to make the playoffs," not win the WS