What if Lowther is ready?

wildcard

7 minutes ago, joelala said:

"Hey Siri, who's the oldest pitcher to ever win the Cy Young?"

Don’t know but Roger Clemens won at 41.    
(Edit: Siri agrees it’s Clemens and calls him 42.   Literally true that he was 42 when he won, though his baseball age that season was 41.)

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Don’t know but Roger Clemens won at 41.    
(Edit: Siri agrees it’s Clemens and calls him 42.   Literally true that he was 42 when he won, though his baseball age that season was 41.)

PED's or not (definitely PEDs,) that is still impressive.  I'm of the opinion he should be in the HOF.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm all for seeing Lowther and Wells as soon as they are ready. I can't think of anyone on the 40 man roster who should be held back if indeed they are ready. Question is whether they are ready and what is gained by pushing them up. 

At some point they need to know who is who moving forward. They can't just have 20 rookies and sell that as the switch flipping year or whatever people are calling it. Odds are a good percentage of the young players we are counting on will never have lengthy careers. It's time to cull the masses.

• Upvote 1

They'll learn about Lowther this year, but if anyone thinks they're going to see an effective Hernandez/Harvey and still jettison them, you got another thing coming.

If those guys are serviceable, they'll be on the team until they can be traded or just stink. That's just reality. They're not going to just cut potential trade assets because they like a young guy in a lost season.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

They'll learn about Lowther this year, but if anyone thinks they're going to see an effective Hernandez/Harvey and still jettison them, you got another thing coming.

If those guys are serviceable, they'll be on the team until they can be traded or just stink. That's just reality. They're not going to just cut potential trade assets because they like a young guy in a lost season.

I agree.  They were signed to hopefully be traded at or before the deadline.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I really hope Elias isnt banking on a good return for those two. I thought it was more "warm body until some prospects are ready" type of arrangement, I dont know if Elias actually sees them as tradeable assets. Maybe they'll surprise and look competent. 

I think we have Felix and Harvey, and to a lesser extent Leblanc, for two* reasons:

1. To cover innings, especially early in the season, while the next group of guys proves themselves in AA/AAA and/or gains a year of service time, and

2. To trade.

#2 fits into the rule of large sample sizes. Eventually guys like this produce over relevant time periods and you can get a real good trade for them. That doesn't mean it'll happen with these two, but when you're rebuilding this is the type of two-sided move you make in hopes of buying some time for your young guys and gaining some additional prospects.

* you could also argue Felix is here as a leader, but I don't think that's a principal reason to have him here.

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

If he's ready, he's ready.  I don't see the need to make a thread about this.  I'm sure we'll see him in Baltimore at some point this season.

Because we need to have thread after thread where we wonder what if someone is ready but they don't bring him up at the exact moment  he is ready.  (How does that work, is there a little popup thermometer you can stick in someone like a turkey?)

Then we can preemptively bemoan the terrible hypothetical injustice that may or may  not occur when someone, somewhere, is kept in the minors too long.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I agree that if a guy is ready, he doesn’t need to be in the minors. I would rather see Lowther than Felix or LeBlanc or Lopez. The only reason to have him down is because he’s not ready, or someone better is ahead of him. I’m enthusiastic about Baumann, but he is still recovering, it seems. I want Zimmermann as well, but he may not be good enough. But if a guy does well, it’s ridiculous to make him prove himself in the minors. That’s going backwards.

edit: I just saw the note about Baumann throwing BP, so add him to the OD mix

Edited by Philip

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

Because we need to have thread after thread where we wonder what if someone is ready but they don't bring him up at the exact moment  he is ready.  (How does that work, is there a little popup thermometer you can stick in someone like a turkey?)

Then we can preemptively bemoan the terrible hypothetical injustice that may or may  not occur when someone, somewhere, is kept in the minors too long.

Beats talking about Chris Davis at least. ?‍♂️

• Thanks 1