Looks like Hunter Harvey left game after one pitch

wildcard

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just don't see it with this guy.  He's been given plenty of opportunities, he can't stay healthy.

He's got some electric stuff but it's no good if he can't get out on the mound for an extended period of time.  IMO, time to cut bait.  

Cutting bait makes zero sense.  Like, there is no logic behind doing that.  If we had a lot of talented players on the 40 man and needed to add more talented guys than it would make sense.

Otherwise, it would be an incredibly stupid move.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I just don't see it with this guy.  He's been given plenty of opportunities, he can't stay healthy.

He's got some electric stuff but it's no good if he can't get out on the mound for an extended period of time.  IMO, time to cut bait.  

We can’t cut bait now.  He’s gotta be close to the record for most years as a top 30 prospect.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cutting bait makes zero sense.  Like, there is no logic behind doing that.  If we had a lot of talented players on the 40 man and needed to add more talented guys than it would make sense.

Otherwise, it would be an incredibly stupid move.

What, you can't work up one of your famous hypothetical trades for what we could get back for a reliever who's spent more time on the IL than appearing in pro games?

I didn't mean release him.  Just find a taker for him, let his constant injury issues be someone else's problem.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

What, you can't work up one of your famous hypothetical trades for what we could get back for a reliever who's spent more time on the IL than appearing in pro games?

I didn't mean release him.  Just find a taker for him, let his constant injury issues be someone else's problem.

What value do you think he has?  Probably very little.  We are a team going nowhere and you want to dump a power arm who is cheap and under control for a while because, essentially, you are tired of him being hurt.

Come on, you have to admit that this is a pretty stupid idea.

I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to put him in a deal where we get real value back but unless he is part of a larger deal, that isn’t happening.

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What value do you think he has?  Probably very little.  We are a team going nowhere and you want to dump a power arm who is cheap and under control for a while because, essentially, you are tired of him being hurt.

Come on, you have to admit that this is a pretty stupid idea.

I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to put him in a deal where we get real value back but unless he is part of a larger deal, that isn’t happening.

Power arms aren't really scarce anymore.  

Yeah, I'm tired of him being hurt.  You're not?  Like I said, let him and his constant injuries be someone else's problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Harvey is eligible to come off the 60 day DL around Memorial Day. All signs point to that and that he will be getting some milb rehab games hopefully soon. He’d be a good boost to the pen to help them maintain their stellar performance so far. Here’s the most recent update I found,

Per Rotowire,

“Orioles manager Brandon Hyde said Sunday that Harvey (oblique) remains on track to return from the 60-day injured list when first eligible in late May, Dan Connolly of The Athletic reports.

He resumed a throwing program just over two weeks ago and appears to have escaped any setbacks thus far. Harvey will ramp up for the next few weeks and should fill a key role in the Baltimore bullpen once reinstated.”

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Hunter has never pitched much at AAA.  I will be interested in how his rehab goes there.  I would not be surprised with he stays there a while.  His rehab period can be up to 30 days.   I think its more important to get Tate back than Hunter at this point.  Tate has proven himself to be part of a good pen.

Valdez, Scott, Plutko, Lakins, Fry, Sulser  and Tate  make up a strong pen.  I am hoping that Tate is back on May 20th.

I’m off the Tate bandwagon until he shows he can get more Ks and miss more bats.  By that I mean, I don’t see him being anything more than an average-ish reliever.  I used to believe he could be a really good reliever but until he starts missing more bats and getting Ks, I don’t see that in him anymore.

I always liked Tate but he hasn’t taken the step forward I was expecting from him.

Harvey has a much higher ceiling but also a lower floor.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m off the Tate bandwagon until he shows he can get more Ks and miss more bats.  By that I mean, I don’t see him being anything more than an average-ish reliever.  I used to believe he could be a really good reliever but until he starts missing more bats and getting Ks, I don’t see that in him anymore.

I always liked Tate but he hasn’t taken the step forward I was expecting from him.

Harvey has a much higher ceiling but also a lower floor.

How high is the ceiling on the IL?

Hunter could cost Armstrong his spot in the pen.   That is one on the reasons I want to see Hunter pitch enough   at AAA to make sure he can be a productive part of the O's pen.