O's @ Tigers 3-14

scOtt

I will say this about Rutschman, he may need to be a little more aggressive early in counts. He has a pitchers struggling to throw strikes enough that the pitching coach comes out and he lets him throw two fastballs for strikes to put himself in a 0-2 hole. not good.

Then he fouls off a meat fastball on 2-2 before getting rung up the ladder. 

While he does have good at bats, the amount of strikeouts this spring does suggest he's got some work to do on his approach at the major league level. Seems like every time I watch him he's behind in the count or fouling off good pitches to hit.

The talent is clearly there, but some one needs to work on him to get more aggressive early in counts especially when those early pitches may be the best pitches he gets all at bat.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I will say this about Rutschman, he may need to be a little more aggressive early in counts. He has a pitchers struggling to throw strikes enough that the pitching coach comes out and he lets him throw two fastballs for strikes to put himself in a 0-2 hole. not good.

Then he fouls off a meat fastball on 2-2 before getting rung up the ladder. 

While he does have good at bats, the amount of strikeouts this spring does suggest he's got some work to do on his approach at the major league level. Seems like every time I watch him he's behind in the count or fouling off good pitches to hit.

The talent is clearly there, but some one needs to work on him to get more aggressive early in counts especially when those early pitches may be the best pitches he gets all at bat.

Adds up. Feels like he just missed a couple today. You can see the pop there. He has a good eye but needs experience vs professional pitching. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Adds up. Feels like he just missed a couple today. You can see the pop there. He has a good eye but needs experience vs professional pitching. 

i agree and I'm not worried, but I think in college he was able to watch pitches because few had stuff he couldn't hit with two strikes. In the majors though, guys can throw to your weaknesses with multiple pitches so it's not a good idea to always get behind. One he jumps on a few early pitches, they'll start being more careful. For now it appears they come right at him early on because he's taking the first few pitches.

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Oh so maybe the fact that he has never played above low A may be significant after all?  Please don't tell Corn or SG.  ;)