McGregor on Rutschman: "They're throwing it (fastballs) by him right now"

Tony-OH

In the Pressboxonline.com's interview with former Oriole and former Orioles minor league pitching coach Scott McGregor, McGregor tossed in a less then thrilling assessment of Rutschman quipping, "He needs to get into high levels to see if he can hit some fastballs a little bit because they're throwing it by him right now."

I thought that was an interesting comment from the former 20-game winner.

Now I haven't seen enough of Rutschman's PAs but I did see a few of his strikeouts in his last game and both times he was burned on inside fastballs that he swung through. From what I've seen in limited PAs is his lack of aggressiveness early in counts where he seems to dig himself into a two strike hole often. 

While I never heard bat speed as an issue in any scouting reports, I did find the comment interesting and worth noting and discussing. 

Again, I'm not saying I agree with McGregor since I haven't seen enough of his at bats to say one way or the other, but it's worth watching. 

41 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Now I haven't seen enough of Rutschman's PAs but I did see a few of his strikeouts in his last game and both times he was burned on inside fastballs that he swung through. From what I've seen in limited PAs is his lack of aggressiveness early in counts where he seems to dig himself into a two strike hole often. 

His third at bat he swung early in the count and lined a 94 MPH Daniel Norris fastball right to the third baseman.  I just rewatched it on MLB TV and it was hit very hard, unfortunately Detroit isn't set up for statcast so I can't see the EV. The PA I watched against Toronto he got into a full count fouling off 97 and then hit the hanger off the wall. I'd say there is some truth to McGregor's statement but nothing to freak out about. Shows that he may not be totally ready for the majors which is understandable. 

Edited by LTO's
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What does McGregor know about throwing fastballs by people?

?

Well since the college league I pitched in back when I was 20, I don't have any experience throwing balls by guys either, but I do know when I see a guy that can't catch up to good fastballs. I imagine that McGregor has seen a lot of baseball over the years at all levels.

Again, not saying he's right, but special players tend to do special things right off the bat. This has been a weird start to his professional career between mono after he was drafted and then missing the season with CVOID last year, but besides walking, I'd like to start seeing him put up some good hard consistent contact. 

Rutschman is 23-years old and has six Ks in 15 PAs this spring with zero homers and is slashing  .250/.400/.417/.817 
Bobby Witt Jr. is 21 and has 10 Ks in 35 PAs with 3 homers and slashing .303/.343/.576/.919

Again, these are small samples sizes but is shows the Royals have given their a guy a lot of chances and he's shown some pop. Meanwhile Rutschman has gotten just 15 PAs by the Orioles and hasn't exactly lit things on fire, just like he didn't during his first taste of pro ball in 2019.

This doesn't mean I think Rutschman is not going to end up special, I just think he needs to really put up some eye popping numbers when he gets to Bowie to alleviate some of these early lack of production. 

It was just two at bats that I saw in his last game, but I was not happy how he let two fastballs for strikes in his second AB after the pitcher was struggle to throw strikes the batter before. That approach was way to conservative. He ended up swinging through two two-strikes fastballs and from what I've seen, he seems to swing through and foul off a lot of hittable pitches this spring. Maybe he's a guy that needs some timing adjustments early on. 

Either way, I'd say my concern level is about at level 2 on a scale of 1-10, but he really needs to put up some great minor league numbers this year at Bowie and higher. 

I can say one thing, Elias's 1-1 and 1-2 pics have not exactly come into pro ball with a roar.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, LTO's said:

His third at bat he swung early in the count and lined a 94 MPH Daniel Norris fastball right to the third baseman.  I just rewatched it on MLB TV and it was hit very hard, unfortunately Detroit isn't set up for statcast so I can't see the EV. The PA I watched against Toronto he got into a full count fouling off 97 and then hit the hanger off the wall. I'd say there is some truth to McGregor's statement but nothing to freak out about. Shows that he may not be totally ready for the majors which is understandable. 

I don't think this is anything to freak out about yet either, and I'm not overly concerned yet. One thing to remember is if guys are guessing fastball they can hit velocity most of the time if its in the middle of the plate. The guy that barrels the good fastball on the inner 3rd of the plate in a breaking ball count usually is the one that has those quick wrists and generates that well above average bat speed. 

I wish we had more data and videos of at bats to go off of so really we need to wait and see him at Bowie this year. 

His last game, Rutschman fouled off a number of 95+ fastballs and eventually hit a double off the fence, I dont know what the speed of that pitch was, but I think its probably a timing issue. I seriously doubt he lacks bat speed or the Orioles would have picked up on that before the draft.  

We'll see what the games bear out, but I do think in the land of minor leaguers who haven't played for 2 years, that pitchers and their proactive action will have an early edge on hitters and their reactive skill.   

I believe Bruce Zimmermann, etc. just wasn't going to bust Adley on the hands, and the only way out is through.   I think/hope Adley has the stuff to not be discombobulated long term if MLB guys do it to him half or more of this year.    Different circumstances, but I'm as happy to watch Adley as Trey play badly this June building for 2022 Opening Day readiness.

54 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Wieters part 2?

I agree with Tony, way too early for that.

Wieters was still pretty good, despite all the grief I (and others) gave him.  That bat looked damn slow though, until he'd square one up.

We all got a bit carried away with "Joe Mauer with power" and "Switch hitting Jesus" when he was killing it in the minors.  Wieters may never have became the guy we thought he was going to be but he's still had a very good career.  At the very least he was a GG catcher and made some All-Star teams.

If AR can match that, it'll be a good career.  Won't be what we're all hoping for, probably including him...but it'll still be a good career.

• Upvote 3