McGregor on Rutschman: "They're throwing it (fastballs) by him right now"

Tony-OH

Just now, scOtt said:

Yeah! Me too. It was pretty impressive, just "watching" it on Gameday. That last FB he fouled was 96 or 97, and at his shoulders! Way protecting but he got a piece. Next pitch slider down and in was ripped to right for the double.

I think there is video on youboob MASN of the actual hit. Not the whole AB.

Smart business people devote MOST of their attention to their largest investments, without completely ignoring their lesser investments. Along this line, the Orioles should get AR as many ABs in ST as they can without Shutting Out other prospects.   It is only for a few more days, as ST is  far along, already.  If McGregors opinion is correct though, I never thought being able to hit a ML fastball was something that is very teachable. Excellent hand/eye coordination is pretty much a God given gift.  But to give AR every benefit of any doubt that some may have about his ML chances, for goodness sakes, give the kid  as many ABs now, as possible, without Really hurting the development of others.    

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

So it begins....

I'm right there with you, Frobicito.

Also, it's hard to see all the Witt love (and rightfully so, he looks like a beast) and not see AR perform similarly.  While we're talking about sample sizes in ST here, seeing Witt and Vaughn absolutely rake while seeing AR not do as well isn't what any of us want to see.  We want to see AR playing like those guys...but again, it's ST, it's a small sample size and it's not worth getting worked up about.  

That said, I'm a bit peeved that Witt and Vaughn have way more plate appearances.  We discussed this yesterday, but I was hoping AR would get significantly more playing time in games this spring.  There's no real reason he shouldn't be.

In fairness to Elias and Hyde... Seve and Sisco have to get ready for the season. Adley is no doubt heading to Bowie. It is what it is.

He probably could have gotten more ABs early in the Spring but he didn't... :noidea:

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

In fairness to Elias and Hyde... Seve and Sisco have to get ready for the season. Adley is no doubt heading to Bowie. It is what it is.

He probably could have gotten more ABs early in the Spring but he didn't... :noidea:

I sort of agree in regards to Severino and Sisco, however AR is being looked at as the future.  I mean, KC and CHW probably weren't thinking that Witt and Vaughn weren't going to break camp and head north with the team but they're still finding ways to get their prospects a bunch of plate appearances.  Kinda frustrating that we're not.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I sort of agree in regards to Severino and Sisco, however AR is being looked at as the future.  I mean, KC and CHW probably weren't thinking that Witt and Vaughn weren't going to break camp and head north with the team but they're still finding ways to get their prospects a bunch of plate appearances.  Kinda frustrating that we're not.  

Elias is showing himself to be pretty conservative, like with pitchers. Like with Mouncastle... consistently at least. Which is good. Which is stable at least.

So, I listened to McGregor’s remarks.   He’s retired now and not with the O’s in any official capacity.   I’m pretty sure he said he was in Tennessee at the time of the interview.   Hence, he’s not making first hand observations about how Rutschman has looked this spring.

The interview had a few interesting points.  McGregor definitely comes off as one of those “back in my day everything was better” guys.    But, he talked about how Palmer trained all the young pitchers to watch the games very intently and learn from what they were seeing.   He said that he and Flanagan were always paying close attention, but Martinez not so much in those days.   He talked about how Weaver really wanted to get Steve Stone, and once they had him, they cut his repertoire from 5-6 pitches to 3.     He really likes Zach Pop’s stuff, didn’t like Gray Fenter’s mental makeup.   He pretty much said the O’s were making a mistake not letting Pop use his sinker.   He’s very high on Means and Tanner Scott.   

Here’s the link again.   The Rutschman part starts at about 18:30.   https://pressboxonline.com/2021/03/16/talking-baseball-with-former-orioles-lhp-scott-mcgregor/

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I posted the video and even pointed to where the video the comment was made.  I guess you can lead to horse to water but you can't make them drink. Tony obviously watched it because he as posted about other things in the video.

This comment annoys me on several levels.  

First of all, please give a link to your post where you pointed to where on the video the comment about Rutschman was made.    It’s not in this thread, and on a quick search I didn’t find it.    So if you posted that, you hid it pretty well and I didn’t catch it.  I do see a place where you pointed to a remark about Zach Pop, but not about Rutschman.    

Second, not all of us have time all day every day to click on every link in every thread.   So if I missed it, I don’t apologize for it.   

As it happens, before reading your post quoted here, I decided to try to listen to the video while I worked (yes, I do have a job).    The video is 36 minutes long and the Rutschman remark is buried about halfway through it.    Really, it completely distracted me from my work.    So I’ve drunk the water, dammit!  And not because you led me there!

• Upvote 4