Middle of the Orioles order

Tony-OH

It's starting to look like the Orioles have a solid core of young middle of the order hitters.

Trey Mancini (1B) - The "elder"; statesman at 29 looks like he's back to his 2019 self. Probably doesn't count as young anymore but he's still within his prime window.
Anthony Santander (RF) - The 26 year old put up a .890 OPS last year and this spring has added a team leading walk to show an improved plate discipline.
Austin Hays (CF/RF/LF) - The 25-year old will play all over the outfield and has always been a guy who had a ton of potential but just held back by injuries. Has been the Orioles best player this spring, bar none.
Ryan Mountcastle (LF) - The 24-year old is a rookie of the year candidate and leads the team with four home runs this spring.

I see these guys batting some kind of 2-5 order though Hays could move up to leadoff when Cedric Mullins is not in the lineup. 

This doesn't even count former #1 pick DJ Stewart (27) who's been slowed by a hamstring injury but who put up a .809 OPS last year in limited play and had hit two home runs in three games this spring. Add in 26-year old Mullins who's a plus defender in center field and has been effective while batting just left-handed this spring, and that's a decent amount of young talent. 

Add in the potential to have Adley Rutschman (23) here this year or next, and that's a pretty good core offense.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I think there could be some pretty good upside here.  Hays and Stewart with their injuries are unreliable though.

And who knows how long Santander and Mancini will be Os.

But I do agree that the offense has some upside.  It would be nice if Sisco can start hitting like he did in the minors and give the lineup some length.

Yeah we have some good young hitters, man. It's going to be fun (at times). I was encouraged by Pedro's ABs yesterday. As others noted, the lineup could really use like one more dangerous hitter, and the catcher position is the obvious spot. 

I think Ruiz/Franco will provide slightly above league average offense, 2B is blackhole position unless Valaika goes off again this year, and Galvis will have professional ABs. 

20 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Anybody want to make some RBI over/unders?    I think somebody getting to 100 is about 50/50.    Mountcastle probably cleanest line.

Mancini and Sisco are the only players on the team projected by Fangraphs to have a .325 OBP.  Mountcastle is going to need about 800 PAs to have a decent shot at 100 RBI.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Mancini and Sisco are the only players on the team projected by Fangraphs to have a .325 OBP.  Mountcastle is going to need about 800 PAs to have a decent shot at 100 RBI.

He might get them!    I am interested to see if Mountcastle gets a run at the Ripken things, or if periodic rest will be an organizational staple.

I do hope LF Diaz, RF Santander, 1B Mountcastle, DH Mancini, C Rutschman give more than half a lineup of some .325+ expectation (or Stewart over Diaz there with 1B/LF Mountcastle flex if DJ really pans out) by the second half.    CF might not be dead, and the infield....is for future offseasons.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If they sit Kjerstad for a few days for what could have warranted a  concussion protocol, it would make sense to bring up Mayo. I've said many times, I don't expect the kid to rake right away, but he could be a spark, could be a momentum changer. We don't know unless we make the move. It may not happen, but this could be the situation that makes sense.
    • I've been called the  whiner,  the "reverse jinx" guy, the guy who sees the "dark cloud" behind the silver lining....you name it.  But I would like to say this. Yes, this team is struggling and yes this is a significant series and we might not snap out of it right away. But remember. This team is too talented, too energetic, too destined to be denied over the long haul. We are going to bust out...and soon. It might take a while but when we do, look out. There will be new personnel, perhaps some new pitchers and bullpen pieces...maybe they wont make a splash, but it will be an upgrade. Its coming. This team will have a very fine second half of the season. Our youth is showing a little bit, but over the long haul...this team will NOT be stopped. Not over the course of a season. I want to see this team playing with a swagger and confidence I've seen before. It will happen. It will be a hit, then another hit. Then it will be contagious and it will be exciting to watch. A long time ago, the Beatles' John Lennon used to ask his bandmates, "Where are we going fellas"? And Paul, Ringo, and George would chime in... "We're going to the topper most of the popper most , Johnny" That's what I'd like to say . WERE GOING TO THE "TOPPERMOST OF THE POPPERMOST".  We're gonna be "Fab" again. I promise. And I can't wait to get there with them. Who's with me?
    • Probably needs another thread but I think hitting a batter in the head should come with a suspension. A bunch of sports like NFL and Hockey have done things to protect players. I would feel the same way if Kimbrel hit a Yankee in the head too. There’s probably some data out there on the average time a concussed player misses time and base the first time suspension off. Then each one after that gets more severe. There is a way to throw inside and anything above the shoulders should be off limits.
    • Oh my god! The slide? The Orioles have three more wins this year than they did at this date last season. If you want to get technical, their record thru 94 game is identical to last season. Calm down. 
    • I get what you are saying but I still admit I surprised they have the early starts when school is out. I’m fine with them myself but you would think an additional half hour could convince someone to make the trek.     At the game tonight the empty seats filled in by about 730. I always thought years ago 730 starts made sense on Friday’s but I gave up on that idea. 
    • Goes without saying a split rest of way keeps Orioles up one game at break and also means they would be up 6-4 in season standings. Win both you clinch season series. Play at NYY 3 games with 6 games to go. Just avoid a damn sweep. I think the series is more important from a tiebreaker standpoint than necessarily being up or down a game.    Hopefully some frustration was released in the 9th inning. One big hit and maybe this team relaxes some.  
    • Brought this up in game thread. Send Povich down for an arm. Technically don’t need a 5th SP until SD series but based off how the Orioles like give guys an extra day they can start Irvin vs MIA.  Play a DH at home Mon July 30. Can call him back up then. Play 11 games before that DH. One start by Irvin vs MIA is worth an extra arm.    I know he needs to be added to the 40 but Mayo could come up for Kjerstad. Concussion IL is 7 days. You have 4 days off at the break. If not Mayo then obviously Stowers, it makes no sense to take any chances for losing Heston 3 games at most.     
  • Popular Contributors