John Means 2021

Il BuonO

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Was this a perfect game or no-hitter?  Headlines say no-hitter, but boxscore shows no walks, no hits, and no errors, and 27 batters faced.

No hitter.  Severino dropped a strikeout and gave Seattle a base runner.

EDIT: Was ruled a wild pitch, sorry. 

3 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

No hitter.  Severino dropped a strikeout and gave Seattle a base runner.

I am at work and could only follow on Gameday.   But I did see it was scored a WP,  not a passed ball.  So how tough a ball was it to block?

When I saw everybody jumping up and down on the mound I thought, wouldn't it be great if they were doing this after the last game of the season one year. Still a long way from that but feels like they're going in the right direction. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Not that tough. Should’ve blocked it. 

I was out of the room at the time, but MLB.com box score/play breakdown says that it was a curveball that hit two inches left of the dead center of the plate, and an inch below the strike zone.  In other words, a pitch that is caught 99% of the time.  No idea how it was ruled a WP and not a passed ball.

7 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

I was out of the room at the time, but MLB.com box score/play breakdown says that it was a curveball that hit two inches left of the dead center of the plate, and an inch below the strike zone.  In other words, a pitch that is caught 99% of the time.  No idea how it was ruled a WP and not a passed ball.

I wouldn't say he should have caught it. It was breaking down sharply and by the time it got to Severino it was close to the ground.

But Severino didn't even touch it -- or that's how it looked. The ball went right under his glove and through his legs as if he didn't realize how sharply it was breaking downward and that it had to be smothered. If he blocks it with his glove or body, there's a good chance he throws out the batter at first.