The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

15 hours ago, SteveA said:

I disagree with leaving DJ Stewart in the game, regardless of what he says.  It's 2021.  We understand the dangers of concussions.

Did he really wave off the trainers? I did not watch the game but appears from the highlight that was the case. I am OK with them leaving him in the game if he is checked out and has no symptoms but that should be the trainers decision, not the player's. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Did he really wave off the trainers? I did not watch the game but appears from the highlight that was the case. I am OK with them leaving him in the game if he is checked out and has no symptoms but that should be the trainers decision, not the player's. 

He looked woozy after the impact. And he has a concussion history.

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

He looked woozy after the impact. And he has a concussion history.

Well, he’s in the lineup today, though I was expecting they’d bring up McKenna, especially because Stewart has been scuffling.

But that’s on Hyde, as is a lot of stuff.

DJ is a throwback to the days  when players were truly tough and if they were mobile they had to almost be drug from the game, and not just Bob Gibson, but most all the players.  It is only in recent years that the wimp version of society and baseball has taken over.  It would have been looked on as a disgrace for a player to come out of the game with no broken bones, etc., though I heard that DJ had a small fracture. Anyway it is easy for me to root for someone like DJ.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Oriole1940 said:

DJ is a throwback to the days  when players were truly tough and if they were mobile they had to almost be drug from the game, and not just Bob Gibson, but most all the players.  It is only in recent years that the wimp version of society and baseball has taken over.  It would have been looked on as a disgrace for a player to come out of the game with no broken bones, etc., though I heard that DJ had a small fracture. Anyway it is easy for me to root for someone like DJ.

They were like that because they didn't have guaranteed contracts and would be replaced if they got hurt.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

You sound like Johnny Keane in the conversations with Mickey Mantle that Jim Bouton recounted in Ball Four:

Mick, how does your leg feel?

Well, it's severed at the knee.

Yes, but does it hurt?

No, I scotch-taped it back into place.

And how's your back?

My back is broken in seven places.

Can you swing the bat?

Yeah, I can swing. If I can get some more scotch-tape.

Great. Well, then get in there. We need you.

51 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

You sound like Johnny Keane in the conversations with Mickey Mantle that Jim Bouton recounted in Ball Four:

That is the way it was.  I realize by todays standards, that kind of courage is hard to believe.  Go Orioles.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

They were like that because they didn't have guaranteed contracts and would be replaced if they got hurt.

That came into play too, but no denying they felt disgraced giving less than 200%, for the most part.  Different world entirely. So lets tell the whole story there.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

That came into play too, but no denying they felt disgraced giving less than 200%, for the most part.  Different world entirely. So lets tell the whole story there.

I don’t think the organizations’ attitudes about playing through injuries (and possibly making them worse or shortening the players’ careers) are the same as 30 years ago, either.   In other words, this isn’t a simple case of players being less tough than they used to be.   The teams have their own reasons not to push the players at times.   

In terms of giving 100% on the field, I know you’ve been around 15+ years longer than me, but I don’t notice a huge difference over the years I’ve watched the game.  There have always been guys who played like their hair was on fire, and other guys who lollygagged a bit or who weren’t well focused during the game.   

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Philip said:

Well, he’s in the lineup today, though I was expecting they’d bring up McKenna, especially because Stewart has been scuffling.

But that’s on Hyde, as is a lot of stuff.

I am glad he wasn't hurt.

But as a trainer, you go check on a player no matter what. You don't abdicate your professional responsibility just because a player waves you off.

2 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

I am glad he wasn't hurt.

But as a trainer, you go check on a player no matter what. You don't abdicate your professional responsibility just because a player waves you off.

Totally agree. I would have taken him out and brought someone up for today at least.

Gotta give it to Hyde, after the first 30 days of games, he’s made very few if any decisions that seem to be outright wrong. What’s more is he is pushing the right buttons with lineup and bullpen decisions. Would love a major league second basemen but that’s not his call. Hyde had the team show up for every game last year and it’s more of the same so far in 2021.