Kjerstad still hasn't reported to alternate site [UPDATE: He's reported]

interloper

We didn’t know the exact issue with Trey for a little while.  It’s very possible they are being hush hush about a medical issue.

There are just a lot of possibilities but the undeniable thing is none of them are good possibilities and all of this has been very odd.

It doesn’t help that we aren’t getting enough questions asked by the local media either.

1 hour ago, cnmilton said:

Is the Kjerstad draft choice going to be a mistake along the lines of Hobgood? 

If we go through the whole 2021 minor league season and he doesn't play in a game then I think it's fair to start having this conversation.  Right now we are all in the dark and I would resist the urge to think that everything is going to resort to the worst possible scenario.  I just think it's healthier.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Aglets said:

If we go through the whole 2021 minor league season and he doesn't play in a game then I think it's fair to start having this conversation.  Right now we are all in the dark and I would resist the urge to think that everything is going to resort to the worst possible scenario.  I just think it's healthier.

True, but we are in uncharted territory for a player drafted as high as he was and no one has seen him with a baseball in his hand since.

He's not in Florida. No one seems to know why or are not saying why.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

True, but we are in uncharted territory for a player drafted as high as he was and no one has seen him with a baseball in his hand since.

One would think there was a story there that folks might be interested in.

I guess the local media doesn't think so.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And there are some reasons for that that we DO know.   At least partially.  A global pandemic.   Myocarditis.   No minors at all in 2020 was also kind of unprecedented.   

Uncharted territory is a fair way to characterize it.   Still doesn't have to mean that we jump to this guy will never play for us though.  Not until we have more info.  Which we WILL get.....just not as quickly as we all want I'm sure.

• Upvote 2

Also, a minor note.  Roch reported about a month ago that Kjerstad wouldn't be reporting to Florida after all.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/03/elias-explains-alternate-camp-setup-and-kjerstad-plans-plus-notes.html

They thought it would be best for him to report directly to Maryland.   Elias's language in that piece to me makes it seem like he was still recovering or feeling some effects or whatever.   Occam's Razor to me implies that is still going on.  But I am no doctor.  I would expect we will get an update soon.   I think it's rational for all of us to be concerned......I am too.   I think declaring him a bust is a bit too catastrophic at this time based on what little we do know.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Aglets said:

Also, a minor note.  Roch reported about a month ago that Kjerstad wouldn't be reporting to Florida after all.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/03/elias-explains-alternate-camp-setup-and-kjerstad-plans-plus-notes.html

They thought it would be best for him to report directly to Maryland.   Elias's language in that piece to me makes it seem like he was still recovering or feeling some effects or whatever.   Occam's Razor to me implies that is still going on.  But I am no doctor.  I would expect we will get an update soon.   I think it's rational for all of us to be concerned......I am too.   I think declaring him a bust is a bit too catastrophic at this time based on what little we do know.

In Moose's defense he's been calling Kjerstad a bust since the pick was made.

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Whatever the reason is, it's not good.  Or else they wouldn't be so tight-lipped about it.  Mancini having cancer sucked but they didn't dare try to hide that from anyone.  

And it's hard to keep a secret in sports these days.  It's hard to keep a secret in any aspect of public life these days.

Whatever it is surrounding Kjerstad certainly isn't good.  I don't believe for a second that the Orioles FO doesn't know what's going on....that would be practically impossible, IMO.  So they're not saying what it is...which means it's probably something Kjerstand and/or the Orioles are not comfortable discussing.

I said it before, I'll say it again.  I'm assuming loss of passion for the game and doesn't want to play anymore or serious mental health issues.  I'm not sure what else it could be, but if he's not suiting up somewhere by halfway through the summer I think it's probably safe to chalk this up as a disaster of a pick.  Not just because we lost a first rounder, but how well did Elias and company do their research on this kid?

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In Moose's defense he's been calling Kjerstad a bust since the pick was made.

That was my initial reaction, but after the whole draft strategy unfolded I thought it was a decent pick.  

But I've been calling him a bust for the past few months.  We can re-hash the whole degree thing here but that was a big red flag for me, I think it showed where his priorities were.  Myocarditis was unfortunate, I'm not going to blame him for that.