O's @ Yankees April 6th

scOtt

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

If your starters are throwing 85 pitches in three innings, you need different starters. It is ridiculously inaccurate to suggest that pulling a guy early in the game, when it’s obvious that he doesn’t have it today, is going to send your pen to the hospital.

Besides, you’re going to be bringing the guy in anyway. The only difference is the number of guys on base when you bring him in: somebody still has to throw the innings, so you’re not saving the bullpen at all. You are actually making things worse by letting your failed starter throw 10 more useless pitches.

He retired 9 of the last 12 hitters before the inning started and the hits were a lazy fly ball that went out to right that is an out in every other ballpark, a grounder opposite field and looper and you think he should have been ready to take him out as soon as inning started.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He doesn’t want to overextend Kremer that’s why.

It’s completely logical. I don’t think you will ever budge on this.....

I made a whole comment and I have to make it again. No you are wrong and that’s why I won’t budge.

A cautious manager would know that Kramer didn’t have it tonight and would start dealing with somebody warming up. Bring in your pen guy after the first walk. Even if Kremer gets out of the inning unscathed, bring him in the next inning. Regardless, He still has to pitch the inning, he would have to pitch the inning regardless. So by leaving Kremer in, you’re not saving the pen. He STILL  Has to throw the inning, the only difference is that instead of one guy on and no outs, it’s three guys on and no out, and then you give up two runs that you didn’t have to give up.

So you save nothing by leaving Kremer in. You make things worse. And it’s impossible that he would have suddenly turn thing around and been fabulous the rest of the game. He was already 85 pitches. ~70 to start the inning. It is far-fetched to suggest that he was suddenly going to be fabulous and make it another two or three innings. Plus Hyde is well aware of his limits and his recent performance.

There is no excuse for making the same mistake two days in a row.

Edited by Philip