O's @ Yankees April 6th

scOtt

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, LA2 said:

Just listened for the first time in many years. Very moving for such spare lyrics. One of Glen Campbell's best. I think I never realized until recently the great loneliness in his music.

Glen was married at the time. but he still had Bobbie Gentry and lost her.

So he probably picked lonely songs because of...

Just to be thorough and because... job!

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I don’t think I made that comment about the infield grass. I don’t remember saying anything about the infield grass at all.. I think Tony made that comment. Did I make it?

Nah, you are just quoted because you started the thread.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Looks like the Yankees also fail Baseball 101 with the runners going on contact with runners on second and third and the infield on the grass.

Yep, awful decision as well, but that was a big chopper that needed a great quick throw. Either way, these teams are failing baseball 101. With the infield in, you don't go on contact.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Yep, awful decision as well, but that was a big chopper that needed a great quick throw. Either way, these teams are failing baseball 101. With the infield in, you don't go on contact.

I didn't think that was right. Slo-mo replay showed Cedric was barely out but he looked out by a mile in real time.

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles did it in the first as well with Mullins on third.

I am of the opinion that it isn't as egregious with runners on second and third because if it doesn't work you are only losing a single base, but with only a runner on third it is dumber, although Mullins nearly beat the tag.

Maybe with replay the calculus changes, in the past if the ball beat the runner he was out regardless, now the tag is more significant.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

The Orioles did it in the first as well with Mullins on third.

I am of the opinion that it isn't as egregious with runners on second and third because if it doesn't work you are only losing a single base, but with only a runner on third it is dumber, although Mullins nearly beat the tag.

Maybe with replay the calculus changes, in the past if the ball beat the runner he was out regardless, now the tag is more significant.

I'm sure there are some kind of analytics that says it's worth the gamble, but I was just taught a different way. I can still remember my high school coach telling me "Make sure the ball gets through the infield before going."

Obviously there are many factors that can go into this from the amount of outs, additional runners on base, who is coming to bat next, and how hard the ball is hit. 

But, in the vast amount of cases, I don't see how it's smart to go on contact with a major league infield playing in on the edge of the grass. We've seen 3 runners thrown out at home already (two by the Orioles and one from the Yankees I believe) in just four games. Now maybe it's analytics, but analytics also told Kevin Cash to take out his pitcher in the World Series and it may have cost them the series.

This is what happens when you a totally a slave to the analytics and don't have a feel for the game a bit. It just seems that feel is starting to be lost be today's managers. 

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm sure there are some kind of analytics that says it's worth the gamble, but I was just taught a different way. I can still remember my high school coach telling me "Make sure the ball gets through the infield before going."

Obviously there are many factors that can go into this from the amount of outs, additional runners on base, who is coming to bat next, and how hard the ball is hit. 

But, in the vast amount of cases, I don't see how it's smart to go on contact with a major league infield playing in on the edge of the grass. We've seen 3 runners thrown out at home already (two by the Orioles and one from the Yankees I believe) in just four games. Now maybe it's analytics, but analytics also told Kevin Cash to take out his pitcher in the World Series and it may have cost them the series.

This is what happens when you a totally a slave to the analytics and don't have a feel for the game a bit. It just seems that feel is starting to be lost be today's managers. 

This. I hate running on contact as much as I hate (our) IF playing in. In some cases it gives you that extra little edge to make a great play. In most cases it backfires. imo

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think with more strikeouts and more homers in the modern game, the difference between a runner on second and third and a runner on first and third with two outs(the two outcomes of either holding or going on contact with runners on second and third and one out and getting thrown out) just isn't what it used to be in terms of run expectancy.

Add in the point I made about replay leading to more players being called safe even when the ball beats them, which you could clearly see with Mullins where he looked out by a mile but nearly beat it, and it could add up to being worth the risk. I think with only a runner on third the risk of going on contact is higher, and I doubt the Orioles would do it with any runner other than Mullins.

In high school and college ball (and minor league ball) which is more high scoring and has more singles (and no replay) I would think the old rules still apply. Curious to follow this and see whether this is a trend or not.

25 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I think with more strikeouts and more homers in the modern game, the difference between a runner on second and third and a runner on first and third with two outs(the two outcomes of either holding or going on contact with runners on second and third and one out and getting thrown out) just isn't what it used to be in terms of run expectancy.

Add in the point I made about replay leading to more players being called safe even when the ball beats them, which you could clearly see with Mullins where he looked out by a mile but nearly beat it, and it could add up to being worth the risk. I think with only a runner on third the risk of going on contact is higher, and I doubt the Orioles would do it with any runner other than Mullins.

In high school and college ball (and minor league ball) which is more high scoring and has more singles (and no replay) I would think the old rules still apply. Curious to follow this and see whether this is a trend or not.

This is a good point. And while this may be a little of my "Get off my lawn" old school baseball thinking here, I still would be leery of sending a runner on contact with the infield in on most occasions.