O's need a better offense.

wildcard

It's funny, I was planning on putting together a post about how after all these years of following our young OF prospects, and after all the winding roads they had taken, all of those roads had converged and here they all were, and it was time for each of them to start showing consistent results at the MLB level.

And then literally the night Hays gets back Santander goes down.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He will be out at least a month I bet.

Shocking that he would get hurt!

It’s kind of a freak injury that could happen to anyone.   I remember some people didn’t want to sign Manny long term because of his knee issues in 2013-14.   Since then he’s played in 871 of a possible 888 games.   I’m not a big believer that past injury history forecasts future “injury proneness” except in cases where the same type of injury has recurred several times.   I don’t think Santander was more prone to sprain his ankle than anyone else.    Now if was an oblique injury, that might worry me. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s kind of a freak injury that could happen to anyone.   I remember some people didn’t want to sign Manny long term because of his knee issues in 2013-14.   Since then he’s played in 871 of a possible 888 games.   I’m not a big believer that past injury history forecasts future “injury proneness” except in cases where the same type of injury has recurred several times.   I don’t think Santander was more prone to sprain his ankle than anyone else.    Now if was an oblique injury, that might worry me. 

No but some people just always find ways to be on the IL...whether that makes them injury prone or not is semantics.  All that matters is that they aren’t available on a relatively regular basis and that’s a problem.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't like the Manny comp since it was made clear that he had a congenital flaw in his knees.  It's just a shame he didn't get them both fixed at the same time since it was going to be a matter of when, and not if, his other knee was going to fail.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't like the Manny comp since it was made clear that he had a congenital flaw in his knees.  It's just a shame he didn't get them both fixed at the same time since it was going to be a matter of when, and not if, his other knee was going to fail.

While you are correct, that certainly didn't stop people from bringing it up repeatedly even after that had been explained.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We also have to remember that BA is suffering around the league too.  The offenses will get better.

1.  Our offense is bad.

2.  Our offense is not this bad.

3.   The change in the ball may reduce scoring around the league this year.  

4.  Early season games are usually low scoring.   

5.   It’s a long season, and there will be ups and downs.   We have started slow offensively but will have better periods.  

• Upvote 1

DET 32 28.1 3.44 18 628 569 62 121 20 3 22 62 4 0 49 174 .213 .278 .374 .652 84 213 14 4 0 4 1 99
TEX 31 26.7 3.89 19 708 625 74 136 16 3 20 70 14 5 63 204 .218 .301 .349 .650 84 218 13 13 4 3 1 122
BAL 30 27.1 3.94 18 650 595 71 130 31 2 17 68 7 1 46 180 .218 .276 .363 .639 81 216 6 3 2 4 1 103
NYY 31 29.6 3.47 17 624 551 59 113 20 0 17 55 4 0 68 151 .205 .296 .334 .630

These are the bottom 4 teams in MLB Team OPS. I bolded the Runs per game on the left and team OPS numbers on the right.