Poll: Which Os lefty SP prospect ends up with the best career?

interloper

Which Orioles lefty SP prospect ends up with the best Orioles career?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which Orioles lefty SP prospect ends up with the best Orioles career?

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Yeah that's fair and I agree but the poll was focused around guys with similar stuff/prospect status. I was basically fishing for any interesting insights folks might have to differentiate these guys.

I get it but I honestly think it's pretty much a series of coin flips.  I don't think any of them project to have a noteworthy career.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He might have more grip strength.

Probably, and/or he’s just a lot more determined than me to open that bottle without wimping out and using a can opener, or using his shirt as a buffer between his fingers and the bottle cap (which I’ve done many a time).

Don't forget Kevin Smith!

This year's BP Annual, the comments for minor leaguers there obviously wasn't anything new to say.   

But the editors really gave some latitude on Lowther/Smith/Wells/Zimmermann.   They described Akin differently than this group, I would say half because of the cup of coffee and half because of the better fastball, but the rest they went for the story it was four of the same guy.

So one of them will have the 75+% outcome of health + growth mindset across the next few years, and I guess make Dean Kremer sweat to keep his rotation job if we are lucky enough to nurse Means/Baumann/Hall/Rodriguez into line ever.

51 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Lucas Giolito missed a start Sunday for the White Sox, he said "I was opening a glass bottle and I thought it was a twistoff and it was not".

Well then Lucas Giolito is a different beast than mere peons like me and @Frobby.  Clearly throwing 95 mph brings other issues such as cutting your hand on a glass bottle when it's not a twist-off.  

5 hours ago, interloper said:

By the way, Akin and Zimmermann have now each throw 25 IP in the majors (still a tiny sample).

Akin: 5.96, 12.3 K/9, 3.5 BB/9

Zimmermann: 5.33, 6.4 K/9, 2.8 BB/9

I think the walk rate is more important than the strike out rate. I went Zimm. I hope Akin does well, but he isn’t in shape and can’t be trusted with sharp objects..

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well then Lucas Giolito is a different beast than mere peons like me and @Frobby.  Clearly throwing 95 mph brings other issues such as cutting your hand on a glass bottle when it's not a twist-off.  

Remember Too Tall Jones And the Miller light commercials? “And I love the easy open can”

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Remember Too Tall Jones And the Miller light commercials? “And I love the easy open can

oops Bubba Smith 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Lowther throws harder than Wells.   Both have better command than Akin, but Wells’ is better (in fact, plus command of several pitches is his calling card).   

Will we see Wells this season? I think he’s still in Australia, but once he gets here, will he be AA or Norfolk?

I will still say Akin but Lowther is a close second.  Zimmerman is close too.  Wells is a distant 4th but I think he has some upside himself.

They are all relative long shots to be rotation assets though.

You hope that out of these 4, Kremer and Baumann that you get 2 decent back end starters.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I will still say Akin but Lowther is a close second.  Zimmerman is close too.  Wells is a distant 4th but I think he has some upside himself.

They are all relative long shots to be rotation assets though.

You hope that out of these 4, Kremer and Baumann that you get 2 decent back end starters.

Funny how no one mentions Blaine Knight anymore.  He was the flavor of the month back in they day.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Will we see Wells this season? I think he’s still in Australia, but once he gets here, will he be AA or Norfolk?

Wells has been in Sarasota for about two months.   He had a strained oblique that kept him from pitching in major league spring training games, but I believe Tony reported he’s been pitching in MiL spring training for a while now.     He will almost certainly start the year in Norfolk after throwing to a 2.95 ERA in Bowie in 2019.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wells has been in Sarasota for about two months.   He had a strained oblique that kept him from pitching in major league spring training games, but I believe Tony reported he’s been pitching in MiL spring training for a while now.     He will almost certainly start the year in Norfolk after throwing to a 2.95 ERA in Bowie in 2019.

So what chance we see him in Bmore this season?