2021 Delmarva Shorebirds Roster activity

Tony-OH

On 4/30/2021 at 9:27 PM, Sports Guy said:

So they have already determined that Gunnar needs to move from SS?

I think piling all of these guys on one team was/is a bad idea.  

Gunnar easily could be in Aberdeen...or one of the college kids they drafted.  

Haven't the O's taken 5  SS's in the last two drafts? They have to play somewhere and there is one fewer minor league team now.

On 4/30/2021 at 10:22 PM, Sports Guy said:

All of that may true but I would like to see him show that first.

But still, even with that, I would like to see guys like Westburg and Servideo playing SS everyday for now. 

Just don’t like piling all of these guys onto one team.

And that's not even considering Hernaiz, who I also consider to be a prospect.  

22 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

And that's not even considering Hernaiz, who I also consider to be a prospect.  

Hernaiz is, but I heard his arm makes him more of a 2B prospect in this current group. We'll see when the season starts but I would not be surprised with him playing a lot of 2B.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Jean Carlos Encarnacion in Delmarva is reaching “Jomar Reyes in Frederick” territory...

The move to the outfield seems to be a last resort kind of thing since he was very inconsistent at 3B. He has those tools of raw power and bat speed, but I agree, his profile right now is Jomar Reyes unless he comes out looking like a different guy this year.

In the piece Connolly says it’s going to be a rotation for the infield. Henderson and Westburg will play a couple of games at SS, 3B and maybe one at 2nd a week. Hernaiz will split time at the 3 spots. Servedio just up the middle.  

He says Encarnacion was moved due to the talent in the infield. 

56 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

In the piece Connolly says it’s going to be a rotation for the infield. Henderson and Westburg will play a couple of games at SS, 3B and maybe one at 2nd a week. Hernaiz will split time at the 3 spots. Servedio just up the middle.  

He says Encarnacion was moved due to the talent in the infield. 

It makes some sense to get them all some time there, but at the same time, they really need to make some evaluations based on practice and decide who really has the best chance to stick there. Henderson is going to be BIG. While he's athletic, I just think he's ultimately going to out grow SS and if they think that, then they need to play him at 3B so he can get as much experience as possible there.

If Hernaiz's arm strength is not up to par (I haven't seen for myself yet) then he needs to be at 2B. I had heard there was some thought of trying Servideo in center  field as well. Guess having so many SS is a good thing if they can play other positions but they are going to have to be careful about spreading them too thin and not getting them enough reps to become really good at a position. 

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It makes some sense to get them all some time there, but at the same time, they really need to make some evaluations based on practice and decide who really has the best chance to stick there. Henderson is going to be BIG. While he's athletic, I just think he's ultimately going to out grow SS and if they think that, then they need to play him at 3B so he can get as much experience as possible there.

If Hernaiz's arm strength is not up to par (I haven't seen for myself yet) then he needs to be at 2B. I had heard there was some thought of trying Servideo in center  field as well. Guess having so many SS is a good thing if they can play other positions but they are going to have to be careful about spreading them too thin and not getting them enough reps to become really good at a position. 

Yea, I can’t imagine this rotation lasts too long.  You need to find out who can play SS and that will be tough without consistent reps.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

They have speed guns to detect arm strength of all four and then can judge whose the best range, best hands etc. I agree 4 SS's all fighting for three spots isnt good, they need to figure out who the best SS is. We can all safely guess Gunnar will never be playing 2B. So that takes care of one option. After that is anyone's guess. 

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

They have speed guns to detect arm strength of all four and then can judge whose the best range, best hands etc. I agree 4 SS's all fighting for three spots isnt good, they need to figure out who the best SS is. We can all safely guess Gunnar will never be playing 2B. So that takes care of one option. After that is anyone's guess. 

If Gunnar plays 2B I'd be utterly shocked. Henderson is 6-2, 210 at 20 years old. He's not going to get lighter. At 6-4, 220 pounds, Carlos Correia is about the only top MLB shortstop that would weigh about where I would expect Henderson to play and Trevor Story is about the same size and weight as Henderson is now (If BB ref is correct), but he's 28. 

Sure I'd run him out there at times this year but once it's been pretty well established that his best position will be at 3B, they need to put him there permanently. sure, Manny went to 3B from SS and became a GG third baseman right off the bat, but there are few Manny Machado's out there. 

Tony,

Is your placement of Gunnar at 3B based on your evaluation, or have you heard anything specific from Orioles contacts?  Also, isn't Westburg a pretty big kid too?  At $'3" and over 200 lbs, he could profile at 3B as well.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

If Gunnar plays 2B I'd be utterly shocked. Henderson is 6-2, 210 at 20 years old. He's not going to get lighter. At 6-4, 220 pounds, Carlos Correia is about the only top MLB shortstop that would weigh about where I would expect Henderson to play and Trevor Story is about the same size and weight as Henderson is now (If BB ref is correct), but he's 28. 

Sure I'd run him out there at times this year but once it's been pretty well established that his best position will be at 3B, they need to put him there permanently. sure, Manny went to 3B from SS and became a GG third baseman right off the bat, but there are few Manny Machado's out there. 

I seem to remember this guy named Schoop who played 2B at 6-1, 225.   So having a big 2B is not unheard of.   But yes, I’d be surprised if Henderson wound up there.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I seem to remember this guy named Schoop who played 2B at 6-1, 225.   So having a big 2B is not unheard of.   But yes, I’d be surprised if Henderson wound up there.   

Nobody said it was unheard of. There are exceptions to every rule.