Isaac Mattson added to roster; Bruce Zimmerman optioned to alternate camp

SteveA

With the off day Thursday, we don't necessarily need a 5th starter until next Tuesday at Citi Field vs the Mets.   So I imagine Mattson will be in the bullpen for now.

I wonder if Mattson is under consideration for that start, or maybe someone else will come up from the minor leagues then, or perhaps Plutko will get a shot.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

With the off day Thursday, we don't necessarily need a 5th starter until next Tuesday at Citi Field vs the Mets.   So I imagine Mattson will be in the bullpen for now.

I wonder if Mattson is under consideration for that start, or maybe someone else will come up from the minor leagues then, or perhaps Plutko will get a shot.

I think this was planned all along with the off day.  Norfolk also has not announced their rotation order yet so that will most likely tell who they plan to use.  The Thursday starter will be in line to come up so when they release their scheduled starters we will have good idea who they plan on bringing up for next Tuesday.

Just now, Philip said:

PS was Mattson on the taxi squad or has he been freshly added to the 40?

He got added to the 40 in November so we wouldn't lose him in the Rule V draft.

He was on the taxi squad so he was travelling with the team on this road trip.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Philip said:

Good idea. I don’t know a thing about Plutko’s starting experience but I’m mildly annoyed Lopez is still here, unless he’s heading for the pen.

Actually, though the results haven’t shown it much, Lopez has much better stuff than does Zimmerman. He throws harder, has more movement and has a better repertoire.

Zimmerman throws a FB that is flat, flat, flat. Won’t miss him.

6 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Actually, though the results haven’t shown it much, Lopez has much better stuff than does Zimmerman. He throws harder, has more movement and has a better repertoire.

Having great stuff is only part of the solution. Lopez has a problem he hasn’t been able to fix. He keeps getting chances and keeps not fixing them. The Royals generally have good pitching, they didn’t give up on him without reason.

Zimmermann May have lesser stuff but he may be able to do something with it, and no reason to not continue to try. 

17 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

He’ll probably be back in ten days, so don’t write him a farewell card.   

I’ve seen Zimmermann with decent stuff and movement on certain days  but I’ve also seen days where his stuff is lifeless, as you say.

I think Lopez has very good stuff.   He just doesn’t maintain command of it past about 60-70 pitches.  

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’ll probably be back in ten days, so don’t write him a farewell card.   

I’ve seen Zimmermann with decent stuff and movement on certain days  but I’ve also seen days where his stuff is lifeless, as you say.

I think Lopez has very good stuff.   He just doesn’t maintain command of it past about 60-70 pitches.  

I am not so sure that Zimmerman will be back in 10 day.   Akin pitches a bullpen on Wed.  First bullpen since slicing his finger. That could line him up to make the start on the following Tuesday.   Lowther comes back to Norfolk from being on the Taxis Squad on Thursday.  If he starts that day that would also position him to start on the following Tuesday.    Lets see who pitches better.   Could be Zimmerman, Akin or Lowther.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am not so sure that Zimmerman will be back in 10 day.   Akin pitches a bullpen on Wed.  First bullpen since slicing his finger. That could line him up to make the start on the following Tuesday.   Lowther comes back to Norfolk from being on the Taxis Squad on Thursday.  If he starts that day that would also position him to start on the following Tuesday.    Lets see who pitches better.   Could be Zimmerman, Akin or Lowther.

I think they've got a plan and it probably doesn't involve a contest among pitchers where the winner gets promoted.  Now if a pitcher gets totally shelled or doesn't have command or has subpar velo or spin, that could hurt him.

But I don't think Elias and company are sitting there like figure skating judges and whoever gets the highest score wins a promotion.  They probably have a timetable and plan in mind for all 3 guys assuming they do what what they are asked to in Norfolk.