Zach Lowther

accinfo

6 hours ago, joelala said:

Good lineup tonight, but yea, if he keeps leaving his 90 mph fastball up in the zone he won’t get very many more starts. Imagine he’ll be optioned tomorrow. 

Lowther lives up in the zone with his FB.

On 5/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, Natty said:

Kind of tough to have your first major league start against the best hitting team in the majors.

It is and it's something you never would have seen by Showalter who had a better feel for this kind of stuff. Obviously Lowther's performance was a huge disappointment and really a kick in the nuts for Orioles fans who are just looking for a bright spot from a young player at the major league level this year, but it's a tough go to start him against a team that has dominated the Orioles. 

Then again, there wasn't a lot of other options, but that is the cards the Orioles have been dealt this year. Their early brutal schedule is tough to get through, but it would be nice to see a young pitcher come up and really throw a nice game to get fans excited. 

Lowther could not keep his changeup down and it was hammered. That could have been because he was too amped up or just a bad day, but he needs his changeup to be much better to compete in this league. His fastball is only 91, but it has good armside run and it plays up because of his extension.

There will be better days for Lowther but the one thing that is for certain, Hyde has zero issues with throwing rookies straight into the fire.

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It is and it's something you never would have seen by Showalter who had a better feel for this kind of stuff. Obviously Lowther's performance was a huge disappointment and really a kick in the nuts for Orioles fans who are just looking for a bright spot from a young player at the major league level this year, but it's a tough go to start him against a team that has dominated the Orioles. 

Then again, there wasn't a lot of other options, but that is the cards the Orioles have been dealt this year. Their early brutal schedule is tough to get through, but it would be nice to see a young pitcher come up and really throw a nice game to get fans excited. 

Lowther could not keep his changeup down and it was hammered. That could have been because he was too amped up or just a bad day, but he needs his changeup to be much better to compete in this league. His fastball is only 91, but it has good armside run and it plays up because of his extension.

There will be better days for Lowther but the one thing that is for certain, Hyde has zero issues with throwing rookies straight into the fire.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Last year Kremer debuted against the Yankees and one-hit them over six innings.   They had the no. 1 offense in the league last season.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Elias chose to bring Lowther up.  He could have called a veteran but chose not to.  That's on the front office, IMO, not Hyde.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Last year Kremer debuted against the Yankees and one-hit them over six innings.   They had the no. 1 offense in the league last season.   

Thanks for proving my point. Hyde will throw rookies directly in the fire holding a gas can. Kremer was able to step up for that start. Sceroler was tossed into the fire as well and did well. My entire point is Hyde has no issues throwing rookies into the highest pressure situations available. 

Some come out on top, some end with an 18.00 ERA. I tend to agree with Showalter's preference of putting his rookies in the best position to succeed in the beginning, but Hyde does not. I'm not saying Hyde is wrong, just saying he has a different philosophy. 

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Elias chose to bring Lowther up.  He could have called a veteran but chose not to.  That's on the front office, IMO, not Hyde.

Perhaps. I imagine Hyde has some say, but I have heard this organization is being run top down at all levels. But I could certainly see that this might be Elias' preference rather than Hyde though I doubt Elias is making bullpen decisions during games, and Hyde did throw Sceroler into the fire.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks for proving my point. Hyde will throw rookies directly in the fire holding a gas can. Kremer was able to step up for that start. Sceroler was tossed into the fire as well and did well. My entire point is Hyde has no issues throwing rookies into the highest pressure situations available. 

Some come out on top, some end with an 18.00 ERA. I tend to agree with Showalter's preference of putting his rookies in the best position to succeed in the beginning, but Hyde does not. I'm not saying Hyde is wrong, just saying he has a different philosophy. 

Understood.   Also, the schedule dictated he was going to call up someone to make that start.   He could have used someone else on the 40-man, but I guess he wanted to look at Lowther.